• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Fiesta NSX-R or S Drivers - What'd you think?

For those who got to drive an NSX-R or S...at night...at Suzuka (still can't believe it) or the skidpad testing during Fiesta, I'm curious as to your thoughts. Was it as you thought, did it exceed expecations, or was it anticlimatic?

For me, the car (drove the NA2 NSX-R in Championship White below) and track were every bit as good as imagined.

75705_1711456187351_1266518311_1855700_5854719_n.jpg

The NSX-R was obviously quicker than a stock NSX though I'm not sure if it's more b/c of lighter weight or more hp. So much quicker that it couldn't be from lighter weight alone (IMHO). Engine rev'd very quickly. Suspension and steering was very tight. Clutch was easy to modulate. 6 speed was butter smooth. But the sound...oh, the sound! And I wasn't even aggressive with it (regretfully).

Drove an NA1 NSX-R (thank you Hirofumi!), as well, during the skid pad/wet weather training event. I love these interiors.

Suzuka's 130R and Spoon corners are awesome. Although we didn't get to take the corners at proper speed, I could see that those two in particular would be a blast to navigate.

so what you are saying is slapping the 'R" suspension in my nsx dos'nt make it a type R :redface:

It has long been rumored that the Type R's were producing much more power than they advertised as the official rating. Given the numbers they are capable of, I always thought it didn't add up any other way as well.

I believe I drove the same car... felt great (power wise) -- similar to my car with its 4.55 R&P... chassis felt just like my (mildly modified) car. Sound was MUCH better than mine (lack of insulation?).

I think the sound difference you guys are noticing is definitely from the partition between the engine bay and cabin --it's either thinner or made of lexan in the type R, IIRC...

Thanks so much for posting this. According to the catalog Honda changed the fuel maps and throttle responsiveness so I've always imagined that that had to make the car feel faster.

Did the exhaust look like our factory exhaust?

so what you are saying is slapping the 'R" suspension in my nsx dos'nt make it a type R :redface:

Probably not, doc. Sorry, buddy. :(

Sound was MUCH better than mine (lack of insulation?).

Very good point. Chris had the car after I did and was much more aggressive with it than I. That's when I really noticed the sound.

I think the sound difference you guys are noticing is definitely from the partition between the engine bay and cabin --it's either thinner or made of lexan in the type R, IIRC...

Honda lists one of the weight savings measures as "thinner partion glass." And that could definitely be the difference in sound. We didn't drive them on the street, or enough on track, so I couldn't tell definitively if it was just a lack of sound deadening material or some other aspect.

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t8.html

Thanks so much for posting this. According to the catalog Honda changed the fuel maps and throttle responsiveness so I've always imagined that that had to make the car feel faster.

I wasn't aware Honda changed fuel maps in the NSX-R but it would make sense since the engine mechanics are tuned to such a higher degree than a base NSX and they'd want to get the most out of the engine. I do remember reading they performed quite a bit of retuning of the drive-by-wire system. And they mention it here as well:

http://world.honda.com/NSX/technology/t5.html

Did the exhaust look like our factory exhaust?

Man, I was in such a euphoric state that after driving and then sitting shotgun, I could do nothing but thank whatever Honda rep I could find for the experience. However, I did wrangle a pic of the NA2 NSX-R at the Honda Collection Hall...looks to be a stock '02+ NSX exhaust to me:

Copy_of_iPhone_Pics_Movies_085.jpg

US zanardis have single pane partition glass,would be interesting to hear from the Kid whether he hears a difference between his 92 and 99.

Guys, I agree the Engine sounds is more audible in both the Type S and R, but the exhaust note is the same as stock.

I drove the Type S around Suzuka and it was stiffer than the regular NSX, but not as stiff as the Type R. I was also take around on the parade laps with NA-1 Type R they did feel and sound the same as the NA-2 Type R.
Everthing else seem's to be the same.......but I was in a daze driving around Suzuka in an NSX:biggrin:

I do agree with Shawn that the interior of these car are a way cool.

Bram

Last edited:
Driving an NA1 NSX-R on the Suzuka skidpad in the rain and driving an NA2 NSX-R at Suzuka was absolutely amazing!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: I couldn't imagine driving them at full tilt! My passenger and I were taking videos but I will not share them. I don't think anyone wants to hear me screaming like an excited school girl that just got her first kiss. I'm not even joking. :eek:

I agree that engine is louder... I loved hearing the music and seeing the peak power and shift lights blink. :biggrin:

The interior is beautiful. After sitting in Dan's NSX-R GT replica (with real NSX-R seats) at NSXPO 2010 and sitting in a real NSX-R at Fiesta... I'm sold. Those seats are amazing. I'm going to start my plans on getting some NSX-R goodies!

Wow wow wow, I still can't believe it. This trip was unreal! Thanks Hirofumi, NSXCJ, and Honda! Thank you thank you thank you!

--Conrad

I drove and rode shotgun in an S and then rode shotgun in R. I liked the smoothness of the S but the rawness of the R was fenom too. Just to complete my experience. I also Drove Kye's car a Driving Ambition full Comtech car on skid pad, Thanks Kye! In addition 5 laps in S2000 on skid pad. Now i want a 2006+ s2k for rainy days.

Last edited:
This was not a stock R to a stock S comparison, but after what I was lucky enough to drive, I thought, "Why would anyone want to keep either of these cars stock?"

During the afternoon, before we were given the opportunity to drive an NSX around Suzuka in the evening, many of us were wandering around the parking area admiring the cars. We had the slim hope that one of the owner/drivers would allow us to catch a quick ride with them on an initial parade lap or two. Well, it turned out that several of us did get afternoon rides and one or two were lucky enough to even get to drive one.

I was standing there admiring this white Type S when the owner approached me and asked where I was from? He then asked if I had ever driven right-hand drive? Nervously, I quickly replied, "Yes sir" .... in the UK.
With that, he handed me the keys and said: "You drive." That is when my jaw dropped!

This car was a "beast!" :eek: Too bad it was only a couple of slow parade laps without the harness and helmet because I could feel "it wanted to go." :biggrin: Anyway, the handling was superb and extremely responsive, so that was a treat in and of itself.

Later that day, I had spoken to Simon Batters from Yokohama and this is what he told me about the car I had driven:

The car's owner is ....... Goto-san aka, 'Father' and aka 'GON' the GON Special is well know in Japan and Goto-san is a very capable driver, not far off professional standards.

The car itself is ....... engine started as a standard Type S 3.2 but now has high compression pistons and stage 2 camshafts. It also has an FCon V-Pro fuel computer producing 360ps. He had some problems with overheating so it was fitted with an oil cooler that is fed from the righthand air intake and exhausts out of a hole in the right rear wing. It has a Jun lightweight flywheel and 4.44:1 OS Gikken Superlock LSD kit, which makes it pretty responsive. All hell breaks loose at 6000 rpm. The suspension is Yamano Special Suspension (Tetsuya Yamano is a Super GT driver and 13 time Japan Gymkhana champion who personally owns an NSX and five S2000's) and the spring rates are something like 18F and 16R.

Wow! What a day! :biggrin::biggrin:

SANY0120.jpg

I rode in a type R as a passenger.

It was the same one as Ponyboy has posted above.

I sat on the left side because the driver's seat was on the right.

It seemed very nice.

Last edited:
US zanardis have single pane partition glass
The ultimate NSX-RR experience:
  1. Remove that glass completely.
  2. Put in ITBs with no air filter box on top.
  3. Wear a hair net so it won't suck your hair into the engine.
  4. Change the rear hatch to slotted lexan to save weight and maximize sound.
  5. Put in hood scoop to blow air onto the ITBs.
  6. Have secondary fuel injectors on top of each ITB.
  7. Wear a full fire-proof racing suit.
  8. Hy Tech anti-reversion exhaust, patent 6,336,471, with stepped pipes and sequential cylinder pairing.
It'll be so loud that you won't hear anyone else's engine, and that can be a safety problem.

I rode in a type R as a passenger.

It was the same one as Ponyboy has posted above.

I sat on the left side because the driver's seat was on the right.

It seemed very nice.

Bah! "Nice" to Joe means "I-sat-shotgun-with-Gansan-driving-and-he-nearly scared-the-crap-out-of-me-but-I-was-having-too-good-a-time-to-notice and,-oh-yeah,-it-was-Gansan."

:)

By the way, you guys should have had the Kobe. Re: our beef discussion w/ Bram, instead of buying a herd of Belgian Blue, I'm thinking of the Americanized version of the Wagyu (kobe).. We'll see...

Bah! "Nice" to Joe means "I-sat-shotgun-with-Gansan-driving-"

I know you'll never believe me but when I was getting in the seat he wise cracked "can you fit?". To which I replied, "I can fit" and introduced myself. He shook my hand and then I said "you know, my NSX has a Supercharger so I hope this car doesn't feel too slow." :biggrin:

US zanardis have single pane partition glass,would be interesting to hear from the Kid whether he hears a difference between his 92 and 99.

The Zanardi sounds pretty loud from inside the cabin:wink: Definatly louder than the 92.

First time time to drive one and on a race track. I drove a type r i think. after hearing how nsx's are underpowered for 8 years i was surprised at how well it went, how comfortable it was and the view, very enjoyable car, can't wait to finally get mine.

Hey Pony, next time you're in S Cal, drive my car and give me a feedback.

Just for something different

While we were standing in line waiting for a drive....getting darker, wetter and hoping no one else spun, I was introduced to a French guy who is the President of Paul Ricard circiut (and NSX guy) who said "Suzuka is the best drivers circiut in the world, not the safest, but the best".

Well he should know.

So when no one was driving the lonley 2005 Auto I thought, best give it a go! It had done 9,000kms from new and was the only NA2 I have ever driven, stock standard, flappy paddle gearbox and an an joy to drive. Very smooth power, great compliant feel and generally quite an experience.

So a BIG thanks to Hirofumi, Honda and who ever supplied thier immaculate car for a stranger to drive.

Then as a comparo drove the supercharged car of Kye's on the skid pan......YES....and a long road run chasing buses....we caught them.....

Fantastic trip.
Scott

Regarding the sound inside the cabin, i've played around with no engine cover, single pane R partition and firewall insulation removal. Surprisingly the engine cover has the least effect and the insulation removal the most. With all three you do certainly get a more direct connection with the engine. If you like the OEM relaxed listen to the radio experience, you won't like all the tapping sounds from the engine. Since i only drive my car for "sorties" so to speak, I like it, but it can get on your nerves. You can remove the insulation and then put it back if you. If memory serves, i removed the top half first as it's very easy and then came back and pulled it all out. That piece of insulation weighs 10.25 pounds!. I went further yet and fabricated open cage firewall cover panels and covered them with perforated vinyl. I'm really into driver sensations. Only thing left would be to try ITB's. But aside from the extreme cost, getting ITB's PERFECTLY tuned for OEM instantaneous throttle response is a tall order. And after you covered them with an intake box which you would probably end up doing, who knows what it would sound like.

Back