• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX + fuzzy critter = bad news

So not long ago in the early morning hours I was driving my NSX (imagine that) and was buzzing down the highway enjoying the drive when I came over a rise in the highway. No big deal usually, except this time there was what appeared to be a raccoon making a poorly timed attempted to cross and interstate highway. Being an animal person I tried to make a split second attempt to avoid him, but it was to no avail. A little bit over $2,000 in damage later, here is what we have. :(

Cracked front numper cover:

447794_NSX_Apr_25_2006_Custom_Coachworks_bumper_crack_.jpg

Cracked lower valence...oh, the raccoon took out my spoiler too:

447794_NSX_Apr_25_2006_Custom_Coachworks_bumper_.jpg

Might as well paint that chipped fender as well:

447794_NSX_Apr_27_2006_Custom_Coachworks_fender_and_hood_1_.jpg

Okay, okay...fine...paint the other side as well. I mean, it has to match:

447794_NSX_Apr_27_2006_Custom_Coachworks_fender_and_hood_.jpg

You know...I did promise the NSX that at 100,000 miles I would paint the hood to...so do that also:

447794_NSX_Apr_27_2006_Custom_Coachworks_front_1_.jpg

Come to think of it...the headlights had chips as well....do those, please:

447794_NSX_Apr_27_2006_Custom_Coachworks_headlights_and_tow_hook_cover_.jpg

Okay...so some of that I did on top of the $2,000 estimate, so I have no idea what I will end up paying in the end. I just told my friend who owns the shop that I plan to keep this car forever, so I want it to look showroom new again. It is my baby, and I want it to stand tall and look perfect. Having just spent 4 days cleaning the underside of the body before that, I slowly slip deeper into the grasp of O.C.D. with no way out. LOL!! :D

The car will probably be down for a while getting the work done, but I will have some new goodies for her when she comes out. YEAH!! :) :tongue:

Is that the 5 speed or auto one?

The Kid said:
Is that the 5 speed or auto one?

5-speed. I can count the amount of times I have driven the automatic in the past 2 years on one hand.

Its nice that you didnt want to hurt the animal, but no animal is worth that. You could have destroyed your car, or even worse, killed yourself. Keep in mind that I to am a big animal lover and wouldnt ever hurt an animal. I told my wife that if anything like that ever happens to keep her in mind over an animal. She is worth a million times more then an animal.

Glad you came out unhurt. Sorry for the car. Looks like it will be standing tall again soon.

Good luck

Ouch! Sorry to hear the bad news, but the car is going to look great. That is something I have been tempted to do for a while just due to rock chips and my desire to go to Euro sidemarkers.

Ever think of shaving the windscreen washer nozzles?

95EagleAWD said:
Bummer man. She'll look fantastic when it's done though!

Thanks! Yeah, the idea is to make it look showroom new again. The inside I keep pretty well preserved, it was the outside that had taken a beating. It will be nice to see it at the top of its game again. :)

roadkill1oh1

Just a reminder for fellow NSX owners/enthusiasts/admirers: unless likely the animal weighs more than your NSX, run it over...
icon_rendeer.gif

Evasive actions & split-second manuevers end up being more dangerous in terms of injuries & loss-of-life!?!
gear_oh2.gif

I know, I know... human-nature says otherwise, sigh. And no, mothers-in-law don't count as animals, even if the tonnage quota is fulfilled!
icon_elephant.gif

Glad that there were no injuries Mitch or serious danger/damage!

timothyaw said:
What body shop is doing the work Mitch? It will look NEW when it's done, it's looking good already.

It is a shop up in Fort Wayne, where I lived before Indianapolis. They do really good work and are nice enough to send me pictures every couple of days with updates. :)

keppdaddy said:
Its nice that you didnt want to hurt the animal, but no animal is worth that. You could have destroyed your car, or even worse, killed yourself. Keep in mind that I to am a big animal lover and wouldnt ever hurt an animal. I told my wife that if anything like that ever happens to keep her in mind over an animal. She is worth a million times more then an animal.

Glad you came out unhurt. Sorry for the car. Looks like it will be standing tall again soon.

Good luck

Thanks man. Good points....I just feel bad for the little guy. Another couple of seconds and I could have missed him. :(

MJK said:
Ouch! Sorry to hear the bad news, but the car is going to look great. That is something I have been tempted to do for a while just due to rock chips and my desire to go to Euro sidemarkers.

Ever think of shaving the windscreen washer nozzles?

The ones on the hood?? No...I use those too much. Remember, I have a year round driver here. :)

Going Euro on the markers would be cool.....doh!! I should have thought of that! Oh well...you can do them so that I can see what they would look like on my cars 'twin'. :)

Re: roadkill1oh1

Osiris_x11 said:
Just a reminder for fellow NSX owners/enthusiasts/admirers: unless likely the animal weighs more than your NSX, run it over...
icon_rendeer.gif

Evasive actions & split-second manuevers end up being more dangerous in terms of injuries & loss-of-life!?!
gear_oh2.gif

I know, I know... human-nature says otherwise, sigh. And no, mothers-in-law don't count as animals, even if the tonnage quota is fulfilled!
icon_elephant.gif

Glad that there were no injuries Mitch or serious danger/damage!

LOL!! Texas road hunting, eh?? ;)

Dude....with as dirty as your car is you probably have whacked something and still do not know it yet. LOL!! Just kidding you. :biggrin:

Had a cottontail run into my R front recently. We lived.
His/her remnants remain on my lower right front wheel well and R side.
What is the NSX Primer acceptable solvent for blood removal?
Meeyatch1 sorry about your 'coon collision. Better than hittin' a deer...

Last edited:
If that white NSX of yours could talk.. :biggrin:

It has seen so many adventures, from out of state quick trips, to knee high snow...to fuzzy critters...

Thats one veteran NSX you got .....A true warrior :smile:

ghost said:
If that white NSX of yours could talk.. :biggrin:

It has seen so many adventures, from out of state quick trips, to knee high snow...to fuzzy critters...

Thats one veteran NSX you got .....A true warrior :smile:

HAHA!! Yeah....it is a pretty well seasoned car with great stories, but that is why I love it. I promised it that as a gift for crossing 100,000 miles I would repaint the front and make it look new again, I just did not know that a fuzzy critter would help me speed up my timeline. ;)

** UPDATED PICS!! **

Okay...so progress is slow, but I want it done right, so I am fine with that. Here are some more recent pics of my baby getting her 'spa treatment'. :) ;)

Driver fender all primered and ready for paint:
447794_NSX_May_8_2006_Custom_Coachworks_dr_fender_primer_.jpg

Hood in primer and ready:
447794_NSX_May_8_2006_Custom_Coachworks_hood_primer_.jpg

Passenger fender in primer and ready:
447794_NSX_May_8_2006_Custom_Coachworks_pass_fender_primer_.jpg

Front bumper, lower valence, and a fender in primer:
447794_NSX_May_11_2006_Custom_Coachworks_frt_bmpr_primer_.jpg

Driver side fender and headlight covers awaiting some paint:
447794_NSX_May_11_2006_Custom_Coachworks_dr_fender_primer_.jpg

My car always finds the party!! Check this out...my painter hard at work:
447794_NSX_May_11_2006_Custom_Coachworks_party_time_.jpg

I should have it back in the next couple of weeks, but I cannot drive it because I have to let the paint cure so I can put a fresh layer of 3M Clear Bra on it. Maybe sometime near the end of the month my baby will be out roaming the roads again. :smile:

Meeyatch1 said:
My car always finds the party!! Check this out...my painter hard at work:
447794_NSX_May_11_2006_Custom_Coachworks_party_time_.jpg

I would never give my car to a painter who had three beers (at least) before painting :D -> see bottles on the roof. Or am I wrong here? :) Good project anyway, I will do this in a few years too.

Yeah....they thought I would enjoy the humor in that, and I laughed out loud when I saw it. :D

Back