• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX is STUPID!!!

dont get me wrong I have some Italian in me somewhere down the road but a car that you can Only drive once a year, cuz you dont want to risk it breaking down isnt worth shit to me.

People who are good behind a wrench think otherwise :smile:

....... I also think it is really the only Japanese "supercar" I would own (sorry Batman! LOL)... Although I do admit to endlessly being drawn to the Supra the way you kind of get drawn to the red headed harlot "bad girl" that you know is trouble......

I suspect that you've never driven a FD with 430rwhp (from 2k RPMs the power band is virtually flat like a V8), under 2700lbs, 50/50~ weight distribution and the ability to turn like a shark on it's next meal (partly in thanks to the speed variable power steering).

For those that have know what I'm talking about.

I'm going to keep the NSX and love it for it's merits that we all know about. But there are other cars that offer more performance for less $$$.

It's no different than those that believe that the NSX is a better bang for the buck than a 348, 355 or even a 430.

The FD is better looking than the MKIV - jelly bean with a handlebar. If the MKIV was so sexier looking there would be a LOT LESS NSX sold since it's cheaper, offered more HP/TQ and was the "other" reliable brand......

I miss my 430rwhp RX7 (FD).......

We know.:biggrin:

And FWIW, I seriously regret never having got to drive an FD. Looks, size, performance-wise, what a great car. When I began to look for a performance car, that’s where I started; I remember once sitting in a new one on the showroom floor, Yellow/black, and how you fit into in like no other car I was familiar with.
Of course, all the online advice was to avoid it since you had to be Eli Whitney in order to keep it going (I know, it has been said they can be reliable with proper tuning), and again and again I heard “Get an NSX. Get an NSX.”
By now I’m a dyed-in-the-wool NSX-head. But an FD with a corvette engine sounds appealing….
Damn, I bit the FD bait.

Last edited:
We know.:biggrin:

And FWIW, I seriously regret never having got to drive an FD. Looks, size, performance-wise, what a great car. When I began to look for a performance car, that’s where I started; I remember once sitting in a new one on the showroom floor, Yellow/black, and how you fit into in like no other car I was familiar with.
Of course, all the online advice was to avoid it since you had to be Eli Whitney in order to keep it going (I know, it has been said they can be reliable with proper tuning), and again and again I heard “Get an NSX. Get an NSX.”
By now I’m a dyed-in-the-wool NSX-head. But an FD with a corvette engine sounds appealing….
Damn, I bit the FD bait.

Bait feel yummy in yo tummy? :biggrin:

My FD was reliable until I was yearning for more power past what a NA2 can deliver outta the box.

Of course back then there wasn't that much tuning knowledge and resources. People, like myself just learned and went.

But when it was working 100%, it was love all over again. I'm sure daily driven Ferrari's share a similar feeling.

LSx engine FD delivers Supercar performance numbers while it delivers better MPGs than a Z06 since it's lighter and more aerodynamic.

30+MPGs on the freeway and 500HP+ on a 2700lbs car is a bundle of joy.

dont get me wrong I have some Italian in me somewhere down the road but a car that you can Only drive once a year, cuz you dont want to risk it breaking down isnt worth shit to me.

People who are good behind a wrench think otherwise :smile:

** I agree, I just sold an 85' Ferrari 308gts qv, that I owned for 5 years. Drove it at least monthly, never any problems, just routine maintenance. The key is to start with a well sorted car. Then they are as reliable as any other sports car. Tons of fun for 5 years, sold it and recovered 100% of the money I had invested too.
Looking forward to focusing all of my energy on the NSX now, performance- wise, similar power and handling to the 308qv but the NSX spoils me with all of the comfort and frills as well. (better seats, TCS, ABS, Climate control, better stereo etc) The 308 is a very raw sports car, not for everyone except true enthusiasts.

There is a guy here locally that traded in his NSX for a late model F car. He drives it here and there on the weekends. I think one of his maintenance visits cost him $25k. I can't imagine picking the car up at the shop and saying, "...um, let me go get a 2nd on my house... be right back."

I just can't imagine dealing with such a scenario. Guess I'm not rich like most of you. :rolleyes:

I suspect that you've never driven a FD with 430rwhp (from 2k RPMs the power band is virtually flat like a V8)

so that's 430rwhp, and a flat torque curve peaking at 50lbft? :biggrin: I kid I kid.

I want an FD at some point as well, but not to mess with because that's where the issues start ha.

...but the NSX spoils me with all of the comfort and frills as well. (better seats, TCS, ABS, Climate control, better stereo etc) The 308 is a very raw sports car, not for everyone except true enthusiasts.

I just find that sentence funny since a lot of people end up selling their NSX due to the lack of creature comforts compared to something modern like a Porsche or Audi R8 ;)

I just find that sentence funny since a lot of people end up selling their NSX due to the lack of creature comforts compared to something modern like a Porsche or Audi R8 ;)

True but its all subjective, and technically all good depending on your POV. My girlfriend used to have a 996 C4 Cab. I have also sat in other P-Cars over the years including one of the new 997 Turbos. I have no issues with them, but like the feel of the OEM seats on my NSX better. I guess my butt is just naturally shaped for the NSX. :biggrin:

There is a guy here locally that traded in his NSX for a late model F car. He drives it here and there on the weekends. I think one of his maintenance visits cost him $25k. I can't imagine picking the car up at the shop and saying, "...um, let me go get a 2nd on my house... be right back."

I just can't imagine dealing with such a scenario. Guess I'm not rich like most of you. :rolleyes:

It wasn't $25K, but it was double digits. It was also about four fix-it-while-it's-in-the-shop items. But you're right, from what I understand, the yearly maintenance on a late model F-car is about $8K if nothing goes wrong! I love the Modena, but I'll keep the worry-free NSX for a long long time.

Never had a P-car or a F-car (had a few Bmw's and Supra's). Always wanted them until I got the NSX. This car begs me to drive it everytime I get in it. That's all I want from a car. When that stops - it's gone! Happy Motoring!

Hey mang I didn't say that! :biggrin:

I guess, I shouldn't sell mine until I find my replacement!! I have a buyer and the deal should go through next week.....what should I tell him???

so that's 430rwhp, and a flat torque curve peaking at 50lbft? :biggrin: I kid I kid.

I want an FD at some point as well, but not to mess with because that's where the issues start ha.

My TQ was 340rwtq at 15psi.

Even though the FD doesn't tolerate detonation as well as most pistons, it isn't that expensive to repair.

Last I remembered it was $300 for the apex seals, water and oil seals were some caulking for the engine and the labor to take apart the engine, do a street port and reassemble was $1000. To R&R the engine was $1000.

Certainly a lot less than a NSX engine that grenaded with a Turbo or Supercharger.

The rest of the FD was reliable. When I sold it with 250k miles on it, the power steering, water pump, A/C, ABS, etc. were all original. Of course I swapped out the engine often so it recevied fresh radiator fluid and other fluids.

the radiator was swapped out to handle the extra heat from more power, not for failure reasons at 100k miles.

Last edited:
Don't be one of those guys that reneges on a deal. Just find a replacement sooner rather than later.

I was joking. If he wants it, he gets. He just has to see it in person and have the cash and I'm good. Hopefully I will find an 02 or newer soon!! I've been looking for a while and I don't want to be without an NSX....ever!:biggrin:

My TQ was 340rwtq at 15psi.

Ah interesting. I still want one, but I don't want to do much to it power-wise.

I bet your old FD and my S30Z would be a pretty good race. :cool:

Needless to say, this thread is so true. Out of a million other cars, I want to be back in another NSX. May try to sell my current DD for a cheaper one just to get in a financially better position to snag one sooner haha. :biggrin:

I've kicked around the idea of trading my NSX for a Ferrari 360 or Porsche 911 Turbo, but there's something about a car that you can enjoy every day and starts when you turn the key.

My NSX is pending sale to acquire a friends F car. We took both of them out last Saturday to do sort of a comparison. We took them to public places, as well as a local canyon.

I met him in downtown SLC where he lives, and there is an outdoor shopping mall where he lives in these luxury condos just above. A few minutes we departed and drove through this one way narrow road that splits the shopping center. I could not believe how much attention the NSX got over the F360. My car is lowered, and completely blacked out. The Ferrari is red. People knew right away what the F car was, but for the most part they couldn't figure out what the NSX was. I heard only a few comments of "thats a sick NSX" but really I heard lots of "what the hell is that black thing?" It seemed like time just came to a pause as we drove by.

We made our way to the main road going east into the canyon. Did some spirited driving to the very top of the canyon where there was a park for sight-seeing. The drive for me in the NSX was pretty straight forward. Great feedback as everyone who owns an NSX can feel. Pretty effortless driving up the canyon as far as handling. When we reached the top we switched cars. First thing I noticed with the Ferrari was the headroom. And leg room. Seemed like it had 4x the amount of interior space compared to the NSX. On the way back down, going into the corners with the F360 felt great. But a little more body roll compared to the NSX. I have aftermarket suspension on my car. The noise from the engine was okay, since it was stock. The F1 paddle shifters are something to get use to.

As we made our was down the canyon, merging onto the freeway, I couldn't help but to stare at my car in front of me and feel sad. A very bittersweet feeling that I knew that I would miss my car. I wasn't paying too much attention that I was inside a F360. We pulled into a local gas station and talked about both cars a bit while people gathered around the two and glimpsed inside, etc.

Everyone is different, but I can say that after owning an NSX, I "get it". I understand the exclusiveness when it comes to the rarity of the car, the aluminum body panels, the Senna influence. I truly feel that it is one of the last greatest sportscars to come out of Japan. Because of these reasons, the F car will be up for sale shortly, and I have to get myself back into an NA2 model.

"I'm with ya brother!" Real nice story and a happy ending. Good Luck! :biggrin:

It's really late here - just got back from vacation and I find this little diddy waiting for me! Man, I'm just going to have to tackle this on a fresh mind. I'll be back tomalli!

True, the grass is sometimes greener on the other side…..but greener grass usually means more maintenance and a higher water bill….. :wink: :biggrin:

I dont get why someone would do that.:cool: Ever heard of the saying "the grass is always greener on the other side?" in this case it never is.

Buy another one and keep it. enough said

I sold my NSX approx a year ago. Replaced with 2006 911. Do not really miss the NSX. I really like the torque of the 911. Both good cars. Less kids bothering me about my car now. I still get to drive my brother's NSX rarely.

I sold my NSX approx a year ago. Replaced with 2006 911. Do not really miss the NSX. I really like the torque of the 911. Both good cars. Less kids bothering me about my car now. I still get to drive my brother's NSX rarely.

I hope you dont blow the motor like the porsche that tryed to keep up with me lol. I tryed to tell him his engine on the right rear fender was smoking but he insisted on jumping off the next light.....vtec did not do him well as he really beat up the car from that.

On another note I also miss my fd. That car really was bullet proof with the exception that yes, the engine did have those apex seals but like batman said, it was cheap to fix. If I had known it was that cheap I would have just kept it rather than sell it. I would buy another one but feel weird buying a car that cost more now than when i bought it as I bought a mint 93 with 41000 miles for 15K!!

Last edited:

Yes, the NSX needs TQ to match the HP.

Back