• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Maintenance Work ~ Just wondering where is the best prices for Timing Belt, WP...

Where do you guys go or recommend for the best service, best prices? It's odd as it seems the pricing is all over the place when it comes to these services and the big factor is labor. Do you guys buy the parts yourself online and then bring it to someone to do the work? I was reading the NSX FAQ maintenance section and they list average prices for water pump/timing belt replacements to be anywhere from $795 (Davis Acura dealer special) to $889, $1003, $1223

here's the link:
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Maintenance/timing_belt.htm

Taken from that link a quote:

From Leith Acura in Cary, NC in November 1998

Oil Filter 14.25
Washer .20
5W30 Bulk 8.75

Filter Set (I assume Fuel) 49.95
Timing Belt 149.95
Water Pump 195.42
Timing Adj 107.70
Comp Belt 13.93
Alte Belt 31.78
Spark Plugs 91.80

Parts Total 663.73
Labor* 691.20
Other* 149.53
Tax 48.80
Total 1568.26

The above includes spark plugs and fuel filter.

So during lunch today I went to visit Pleasanton Acura to get a quote and they charge $165/hour. The guy there told me their master NSX tech is Lance Sunde and they work on at least one NSX per week which seems excessive to me but whatever. His quote for me to do JUST the timing belt, water pump and associated belts was roughly $1500. He said if I wanted the spark plugs and valve alignment it would be another $800.

Sounds really expensive to me but I'm just shopping around right now.

What have you guys paid for these services and where did you go? I usually do all my own fluids but for this major stuff I want to find an expert.

thanks
rick

P.S. I asked him to quote me for a header install (getting a new aftermarket header) and he quotes me 5 hours! I'm beginning to think this place is way too high. What would you guys say is fair for a header replacement?

UPDATE 1/31/14: I spoke to another well known shop in NORCAL called Foreign Affair and the guy Kevin was very nice. He told me for such a well babied car, even though it's 10 years old some of the things may/may not be needed so what would you guys do?

He quoted me 3 hours ($115/hr) to do the headers and roughly $2300 to do the full water pump, related belts, and spark plugs plus a valve alignment. He said since the car barely has 15k miles some of those items probably are just fine and more preventive than necessary. So the question now is how much of it should I do?

how about Don @ Hilltop Automotive.
There is almost always an NSX in there.
When he did my camber kit, there was an NSX with the engine removed for some work and one getting a supercharger installed.

Rich

I have all my service done at Foreign Affair. I'd agree that, unless you're having a specific issue, none of those should necessarily need replacement at 15K. For reference, I had the valve alignment done when I purchased mine (about 22K on the odometer). You could just have them inspect the belts, and replace if necessary.

+1 for Don @ Hill Top
He did my last big service (belts/water pump/etc.)... couldn't be happier.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/choice-auto-repair-sunnyvale

Charlie - the owner is honest and cheap. He did my NSX prior to my engine build and has done a few others after I posted good results.

I can't quote the price since there was a bunch of other stuff being done.

408-749-1422

I guess I should give Don a call and see what he charges. As you guys know my car is babied beyond the norm and I after reading all these FAQ and "recommendations", I did some inspection and shocked some of the belts just look brand new.

Maybe I will have a pro do a thorough inspection and see if it even needs to be done. I'm religious on doing the fluids and all maintenance myself otherwise so it just seems like a big waste of money to go install new parts and throw away perfectly good parts on the car. If this car is tracked or driven hard maybe but I put less than 1k miles on her last year total and stored otherwise under a cover with a tender.

Don at Hill Top is quite a drive for me so unless I take days off it's really not feasible nor make sense for me. I'm sure he has a good rep from all I have read. Thanks Bat for the Yelp link, it's good to have so many choices around here :)

Last edited:
Those must be old quotes. $1500 for an NSX timing belt and water pump replacement is actually quite reasonable for a dealer; many dealers charge $1700 or more. OTOH $165/hour sounds rather high for a standard rate, although that tends to vary from region to region.

Places in NorCal with a lot of NSX experience include Don at Hilltop, Foreign Affair, Niello Acura (in Sacramento), and Driving Ambition (Shad's place) in Cameron Park east of Sacramento. I have yet to hear of a place in the East Bay recommended frequently for NSX work the way those four are.

Last edited:
I just had the TB/WP done at Don's last month. I don't have a supercharger. It cost $1,799, and that included the alternator and a/c belts, and coolant. Valve adjustment cost extra.

Jim Russell @ Cologne Auto Body in Belmont is another option. I've never had him work on my car but I've spoken with him, and he is highly regarded on here.

I think I will stop by Jim@Cologne tomorrow. Apparently just to have car lifted so one can walk around and look at suspension (in my case I need to check ball joints) turns out to be quite a challenge at other shops mentioned here.

I think I will stop by Jim@Cologne tomorrow. Apparently just to have car lifted so one can walk around and look at suspension (in my case I need to check ball joints) turns out to be quite a challenge at other shops mentioned here.
I was in the area and decided to come over and meet Jim today. I have new mechanic now.

Please, for the sake of your NSX, stay the hell away from pleasanton Acura. My single NSX experience with them is still haunting me well after the service was completed.

Rick If you would like you can always bring the NSX here at Acura of Fremont and will put you in a loaner. We moved every thing over here after we closed Sunnyvale. I can get your timing belt service done for $1398.00 it would be $750.00 for the valve adjusment and spark plugs. Also not to bash Hill top but you guys should do a little research on what has happen with some of the work they have performed and decide from there.

Justin Winn<o:p></o>
Service Consultant
510-431-2553

Last edited:
Where is Jim/Cologne located?

With my busy work and kid schedule it's highly unlikely I will drive so far to see Hill Top regardless unless his price is 1/2 or his service is so great he will give me a massage! j/k

In reality I will talk to my primary mechanic and get a quote from him first since I trust him 110% with the keys to any of my cars and not fear he will take it joyriding, etc.

Patchez: Thanks for your offer ~ Fremont Acura is very close to my house so if things come down to it I may consider your place. A lot of guys tell me don't even bother doing it since your car has lived such a babied life. They said to just do an inspection, do you guys offer an inspection? If you can do the timing belt and throw on my header for free, maybe I'll have the service done as an incentive to come hang out :)

If the headers had to come off to do the tbelt that would be no problem. But as you already know they don't . haha But hey you can say hi to Danny "Blurry NSX" also since he started working with us last week.

Please, for the sake of your NSX, stay the hell away from pleasanton Acura. My single NSX experience with them is still haunting me well after the service was completed.

hlakhani -

Hmmm, I was thinking of taking my '05 to Acura of Pleasanton for a major service….can you elaborate in your experience. I've heard nothing but bad things about Acura of Concord (nearer to me) but some good things about Acura of Pleasanton. I was hoping for someone trustworthy in the East Bay somewhere.

UPDATE 1/31/14: I spoke to another well known shop in NORCAL called Foreign Affair and the guy Kevin was very nice. He told me for such a well babied car, even though it's 10 years old some of the things may/may not be needed so what would you guys do?

He quoted me 3 hours ($115/hr) to do the headers and roughly $2300 to do the full water pump, related belts, and spark plugs plus a valve alignment. He said since the car barely has 15k miles some of those items probably are just fine and more preventive than necessary. So the question now is how much of it should I do?

I know this thread is now kind of old, but just wanted to reaffirm that Kevin and Co at Foreign Affair are good guys. They could have easily gone ahead and taken the $ and done unnecessary work on your NSX.

I've been going to them for 10+ years with my 91 Civic Si, GSR and now my S2000.

Back