• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX newbie/ convert

Good day to all. What a great website! I don't know if it is correct to say that I have been bitten by the bug or have had a relapse of lust for this car. I have been a Porsche (911s, 944s, 928s, etc.) guy for a very long time and have decided to expand my horizons. My 928 is going to PPI for its next owner tomorrow and I am starting my research/ quest to find its replacement. Obviously I have honed in on the NSX. ( I am still trying to get a drive in one.) My wife has been a Honda owner for many years and I have always been impressed with the reliability.

I have been wandering aroung NSXPrime for a few weeks, checked out a few cars, and just wanted to know if there are any other weak spots in these cars that I need to be looking for. I have set a budget of around $30K and from what I have seen, that should get me a 91 through 93 car with reasonable mileage and in very decent shape. I know that the snap-ring issue is something to be mindful of, and there seems to be a common problem with the window regulators, but what are the other big ticket items to watch for.

Also I intend to use the car as a fair weather daily driver, but want to know how you guys with similar utilization are insuring these in terms of full coverage. Given the model years I am considering, are there any issued with full coverage regarding replacement value and such?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

The FAQ will help with some questions. The A/C was a little bit of a reliability issue on some 91-92 cars IIRC, and the Timing Belt, Water Pump, etc. can be $1000-1800 to replace if it is due, so keep that in mind. These cars are very reliable for the most part, and if your experience with service costs/frequency on Porsches is anything like mine, you will have no issues with the needs of the NSX.

Not sure what year 911's you have owned but you will find that an NSX has a more modern feel like a 996. My 87 is a much more involved drive as you really are working with the car rather than riding in it as is the case with the NSX, IMHO. I think you will really enjoy the NSX and if you have ever driven a Boxster you can expect the NSX to have a similar feel. You will love the car!

My only complaint about the NSX is finding someone I feel comfortable with to work on it. It was easy to find a very good shop to work on the 911 but I don't trust the dealers with more involved work associated with transmission upgrades as an example.

Back