• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX or M3?

cmb

Registered Member
I know this has been asked before, but I thought I'd try for some updated opinions.

Which would you rather have (if you were me)?

I currently have a 92' NSX coupe.

I am thinking about trading/selling it for an E46 (current) M3 cabriolet w/SMG.

Would you guys do it? Will I regret it? (and just wish I had my NSX back?)

I also have an S2K, so was thinking that the S2k could feed my hunger for high revving HOnda cars.

------------------
cmbsig3.jpg

NSX/S2K/WRX/CRX

[This message has been edited by cmb (edited 20 December 2002).]

Wow, we both have the same cars. Not interested in new M3 for reliability issue as of recent postings.

Tan
2000 Monaco Blue Pearl NSX-T with Volk GT-C
2000 Formula Red S2000 with Volk GT-N

Hey cmb,

The M3 is an awesome machine. However, it is hard to compare the M3 to an Nsx because they are both different driving experiences. Whereas the Nsx is low to the ground and very race-car like, the M3 sits a lil higher and feels like a super-sporty grand tourer (not that I am saying this is bad)
Then there wil be arguments on practicality, seating, power, so on and so forth. There are many threads on this topic as well for you to browse through. The best thing you can do is drive your Nsx for a few hours, then test drive an M3. It will make things easier for you to choose. I once drove my nsx for 2 hours and then hopped in my sister's 3-series and it was very different.

ps. Perhaps you might wanna consider a 97+ Nsx too.

I would have to say...look at the NA2 NSXs they are a different breed of NSX entirely.

wow BlueNSX, like those Volks eh?

EDIT: I must learn to spell
------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 21 December 2002).]

Wow, I went through the same dilemma as you with my 92 NSX and was going to order a M3 cab with SMG. The process was simplified when I test drove the BMW. In terms of fun to drive it was right there with the NSX. It also IMHO has the looks but not an exotic look. I kept my NSX and bought the BMW 325 cab. So the question you might ask yourself is do you keep the S2K. I know the 325 cab is not an M3 cab but it has similar looks and it is a great car to bomb around in but more importantly I still have my true fun car, the NSX.

How do you use your two cars? Why do you have two cars? Answer these questions and you can figure out the best two cars for your needs.

I have two cars. One car is primarily for track use, plus the occasional (NSX) club event. The NSX is perfect for that need.

My other car is my daily driver and sometimes track car. My needs for this car are something that's reliable and economical to operate, with performance decent enough to take it out on the track (but not necessarily pass every car there), that can haul a fair amount of stuff when needed, preferably with a back seat for use in a pinch, and preferably FWD for winter use. My Integra Type R meets those needs perfectly also.

When I consider getting another car, it would be as a replacement for one of those two cars, and I would have to make sure that all the same needs are met.

I'm not sure why you have two cars that are both two seaters, or what your needs are. If you need to have more than one passenger, get the M3. If you need to have a car that doesn't attract a lot of attention, get the M3. If you need a car that's just for the track and for high performance, keep the NSX.

If there is something about the NSX that you don't like - not enough trunk space? - switch to the M3. If you really like your NSX, then you would probably regret selling it, so just keep it.

I Got Both.
98 Monte Carlo Blue Pearl, soon TT and Carbon Black 01 M3 Coupe.

Reliability of the M3 and the motors problems seem to be specific to a series of months and after that, hit and miss. Mine is before the months.

Specifically, different cars altogether. The NSX is more fun to drive and in stock form, seems to be as fast as the M3. The M3 offers practicality. I use it as my every day car and am also driving it this winter with snow tires (Blizzaks). I can haul a lot of groceries and other stuff in the trunk without a lot of problems. Both get a lot of looks but the NSX is the hands down winner. Driving wise, the M3 feels much heavier and definitely pushes before actually turning resulting in a feeling of understeer but with the power and the traction control off, driving with the throttle is pretty easy.

Drive both and then figure out why you need a sports sedan vs a sports car. I'd sell the s2000 and get a used E36 M3 and supercharge the unit.

Tim

thanks for the responses so far.

i think part of it is that I put the NSX away for the winter over one month ago! maybe i'm missing the NSX too much!
wink.gif

i really don't know what it is I want.
frown.gif

i bought the NSX because I've always wanted one ever since it first came out! it was/is my dream car!
biggrin.gif

for the winter I drive the WRX around and since it's a wagon, it has tonnes of cargo capacity. seats 4 in comfort (5 tight), and it's nearly as fast as the NSX (the WRX is mod'd), so this car can kind of service some of the benefits the M3 would have over the NSX.

I love convertibles (hence the S2k) and I thought it would be great to have a 4 seater vert in the M3 cab. to use for business, etc. ie. drive with 3 friends top down in the country...
also the M3 packs a whole lot of new technology and features into one vehicle.

however I do find the NSX among the most exotic in it's relative rarity and the looks it gernerates.
smile.gif

the SMG feature sounds very enticing (supposedly shifts within 70-80 ms which is as fast or faster than the fastest of manual shifting.)

but I have many friends and associates with various E46s, many of which have experienced some problems.

So far my NSX has been nothing but perfect to me. (knocks on wood!
biggrin.gif
) reliability wise.

jungd/jorligan: you guys make some interesting suggestions. 1) 325 cab 2)used E36 M3 cab. both, cheaper solutions which might allow me to keep the NSX either way.

Now I have 2 other questions.

1) well...more specifically in terms of driving excitement, speed, power, acceleration, handling...basically all the forms of performance measurement, how do the NSX and M3 stack up?

2) what would you prefer? a new E46 325 cabriolet? or a used E36 M3 cabriolet?

sorry for all the questions!
smile.gif

------------------
cmbsig3.jpg

NSX/S2K/WRX/CRX

[This message has been edited by cmb (edited 21 December 2002).]

[This message has been edited by cmb (edited 21 December 2002).]

Originally posted by cmb:
1) well...more specifically in terms of driving excitement, speed, power, acceleration, handling...basically all the forms of performance measurement, how do the NSX and M3 stack up?

I think jorligan answered this question pretty well, but...

Driving excitement: NSX, hands down.

Speed: NSX, slight advantage.

Power/acceleration: Goes something like this: (1) 3.2-liter NSX (2) E46 M3 (3) 3.0-liter NSX (4) E36 M3. Differences among 1 through 3 are relatively minor though.

Handling: NSX, slight advantage.

I have the E46 M3 coupe but I have driven the E46 Cab as well as a E36 Cab and E36 M3. The E46 Cab has got the new style but unfortunately, also has the new weight without the power of the M3. The E36 Cab was much lighter and the E36 M3 much more nimble as well as lighter. The decreased horsepower isn't as noticeable since the car is soooo much lighter. I would think about the E36 M3 Cab and later if you want more HP, then you can get a turbo or supercharger.

By the way, convertibles are nice, the Targa top is almost as good (Wife play car is 911 cab).

Tim

Originally posted by jorligan:
The decreased horsepower isn't as noticeable since the car is soooo much lighter.

The weight difference isn't that big; for example, the E36 M3 is around 3200 pounds, the E46 M3 around 3400. A 200 pound difference is significant, but hardly overwhelming.

Drive one then the other immediately, You will notice a pretty big difference. New one is more powerful but definitely feels alot heavier than 200 lbs.

Tim

I see the M3 as the perfect daily driver to complement an NSX garage queen.

I think if you get rid of the NSX, you will undoubtedly miss the low seating position and the exotic looks.

I love convertibles (hence the S2k) and I thought it would be great to have a 4 seater vert in the M3 cab. to use for business, etc. ie. drive with 3 friends top down in the country...
also the M3 packs a whole lot of new technology and features into one vehicle.

Now unless your business partners are midgets, Im sorry little people then I think its a bit of a stretch to take 3 business men in a M3 cab, but this is just my 2 cents. Also when I see the new m3 I look at and say "sweet" but when I see a nsx I cant even speak....

Originally posted by 8000RPM:
I see the M3 as the perfect daily driver to complement an NSX garage queen.

hehe,
ME TOO!!!!

------------------
Steve
89 325is "snowmobile"
91 NSX (15k mile Garage queen)
01 MDX
02 M3 SMG (10 k mile daily driver)

"automotive indulgence"
www.thelastdetail.com

[This message has been edited by SJJ28 (edited 23 December 2002).]

Hhhmmm, Thats a toughy, kinda like Ruths Chris or The Chesecake Factory.

Have you considered an S4 up there in Canada, A? (I am Canadian so I can get away wth that one) Many 2000ish ones are selling for about half the cost of an new M3. Additionally, the S4 can easily/cheaply be bumped up to ~350hp, Oh and the torque available at near idle. You already have a convertible, right?

Is depreciation a factor for you? Its pretty safe to say the M3 will drop one hellava lot faster than your NSX.

Just my $0.02, Good luck

I would agree about the complementary nature of the M3 and feel blessed that I have both. The S4, well, DANO, where are you? You can address the S4 issue, didn't you say something to me about, uh, was it PIG?

Tim

Originally posted by john576:
Is depreciation a factor for you? Its pretty safe to say the M3 will drop one hellava lot faster than your NSX.

I thought M3s hold their value pretty well.

Oh, just realized you're comparing a new M3 vs a used NSX. Of course a used car won't depreciate as rapidly as a new one.

Holy Moly Batman......

ALL my favorites here on one thread.

cmb, You're in Toronto. Get much snow there ? If so, I'd get an AWD, either S4 or WRX. The NSX and the S2K seem redundant.

I have an '02 M3 Cab and am looking for a new combination of 2 cars since I put over 24k miles per year and can afford 2 cars so MY dilema is as follows.

I can afford about $100-110K in cars.

NSX OR '01 996 Twin Turbo plus a "winter car" (Love the S4, tough to find an '00 around $26-28K though) So, PLUS my M3 Cab ? That make the M3 Cab the "winter" car. Doesn't sound good to me even though here on Long Island we don't get that much snow (but next June moving to Northern New Jersey which DOES). Hence I'm considering the M3 gone in the Spring.

'01 Porsche 996 TT or an NSX ? (plus either the '00 S$ or a new WRX)

Interesting combinations available, no ?

What do you guys (and gals) think ?

2000 S4's can be found on www.autotrader.com for $27-31K range all day long. Look at the price for some high mileage 1993's as well-they have stabilized nicely; After their initial 3-4 year depreciation hit. In fact, I almost bought a new one last year until I realized at ~$650/mos for 39 mos was almost all depreciation. Then a ~$21K buyout. I do not remember exact dollar amounts from then. Not to mention, www.epinions.com lists numerous Audi reviews for horrible service +/ quality. By the way, the same site lists many satisfied NSX owners.
I cannot justify Audi S4 depreciation- well maybe if I grossed >$200K/yr.

I would have to agree with NSX Guy. Ideally, I would own a WRX or even perhaps a Legacy sedan and a NSX. (a Legacy would make the NSX sooo much fun to look forward to driving)
By the way, I drive an Accord EX 5sp as a daily driver and although Legacy's are not the fastest cars on the road-they sure are reliable as ever.

I had the opportunity to drive a friends stock 996 TT 01' last year. Oh my, that car is scary-fast. But, he is a Gastro surgeon so I'm sure maintenance, etc is de nada.

I have a WRX. The turbo packs a great punch and the AWD was great in the recent snow. The car handles better than an M3 cab thru the twisties and doesn't exhibit cowl shake. Unless you "got the bucks" to get salt on an AWD Lambo, the winter car choice boils down to either a WRX or the upcoming Mitsi Evo 8. The latter will be quicker, but less reliable and a faster tire-eater than the scooby. The WRX STI unfortunately won't be arriving to the U.S. for a while.
This spring (if all goes according to plan) I'll try to pick up a 97+ NSX for summer country road fun.
WRX + NSX.........

I have both a 97 NSX-T and a 99 M3 Cabrio. The only way I can put it is my girlfriend drives the M3 and I drive the NSX. After driving the NSX, the M3 seems a chore. Although both are great cars, the M does not compare. The M's shifter is mushy and the handling is good but certainly not like an NSX especially if taken to its limits. Yes, the M has a back seat and a large trunk and there are trade offs.

Even on long trips and as a daily driver I prefer the NSX as long as I dont need the room for additional cargo or friends. The NSX cruises at much lower revs, has power at mid and high rpm, has better center feel and believe it or not has less fatigue on a long drive in my opinion.

If anyone is interested in a garage kept, low mileage, all original, silver/black, loaded, well maintained and never abused '99 M3 convertable, feel free to PM to [email protected] Asking $34,500 OBO

Just got about 6 inches of snow here is MI. The M3 drove pretty well using Blizzak snow tires. Drives as well as I remember my old Mitsu GSX which I just used the high performance radials. Friend of mine drove her E46 cab all last winter with no problems using snow tires.

Tim

Originally posted by cmb:

Have you considered replacing the S2K with the M3, and keeping the NSX? How many front engine, RWD convertibles does one need?
wink.gif

The S2K is smaller and lighter, but it seems that the two would be a lot more similar than the NSX and M3, which are very different cars.

Note: I'm biased, I love mid-engine cars. Front engined cars just don't feel the same...
smile.gif

Back