• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX protest at Honda HQ in Torrance

Because he can.

Q: Nice car! Ferrari?
A: No...I built it.

$170k would buy the front clip of the F40. I want one badly, and have been watching prices come down, but...they're still hovering/holding around $390k. To have an exact replica with (reliable, inexpensive to maintain)Lexus guts would be phenomenal.

Stated like someone who has not spent much time in or around real ones. A real F40's authenticity is without question, from the carbon fiber weave and the green goo that is visible in the floorpan to the gurgle on startup to the sportbike acceleration. No Lexus internals would be visceral enough to pull it off. This machine is too much of a beast to replicate, plain and simple.

If I were Ito, here is what I would do:
1. Issue a CEO directive that all MY2012 Honda/Acura cars must lose 200kg versus the MY2010 version, with the exception of the Fit.
9. ALL MY2012 Honda/Acura cars, including the sports models, must have HWY MPG of at least 30. This will be additional incentive to cut weight, especially in the truck models.

If Honda does this, it will be back and better than ever. I believe it still has enough talented engineers to make it happen.

"I have a dream..." Is it April 1st? Anyway, since MY2011 is arriving now, Let's address #1 and #9 = Any engineers out there have a way to remove 441 pounds from a mainstream production car in 12 months, keep the amenities and required safety features, and keep a normal price increase? We've had to add side curtain airbags, side airbags, active head restraints, ABS, stability control systems, tire pressure monitoring systems - all these continue to add weight.

Honda has incredible engineers (I've met some of the engineers from Honda Japan) and they are looking at every little piece to remove weight: Plastic fuel filler covers, plastic air intakes, aluminum alloys being used more and more. I've personally looked at how to cut weight on stock class cars for the last 20 years in the racing world and it means taking out the amenities: Cruise, A/C, stock seats, rear seats, insulation, rear wipers, fluids, little pieces you don't need like antennas and radios. Then buying expensive lightweight wheels and using exotic metals where you can.

It's not even possible to lose a net 50 pounds in a year with people demanding safer cars, quieter cars, more amenities and continue to meet the Federal government requirements. And then there is the 30MPG...

Oh this sucks big time i'm on the wrong side of the pond. I'd join in a hearth beat and i know quite a few how would too.
Try and get the S2k owners and all other sympathetic Honda owners to join in.

I posted this same thread in the S2Ki.com website and well most of them seemed a bit clueless

Here's the deal with getting the NSX to return to the line up.

Honda needs an eccentric leader to make this happen. Anyone leader who is cautious will never do or make anything great. Soichior was eccentric about cars. Grandson of Mr. Toyota decided to produce LFA despite the tough economy.

If one truly loves sports car and that loves goes down to his bone, the leader will make sports car and figure out ways to make it pay off. Or the leader can say damn the cost, because building a new NSX is brand marketing and the cost of developing an NSX is a fraction of what it cost to go racing.

I'm tired of hearing justifications of how the economy has stalled sports car development. B.S. That's called an excuse. If a company doesn't have it in their bones to develop a sports car, despite the bad economy, get off the pot. Apparently they have.

Greatness will never be achieved if one is always held back by fear. Instead, focus on one's dreams first, then focus on how to address the concerns.

Soichiro Honda was indeed a car nut to the extreme. It takes someone like him to lead an organization and have greatness emerge. Now we have a bunch of cowards running Honda fearing this and fearing that and building reliable boring refrigerators. Now Honda is a me-too company, which one day, will fall to its own demise. To top it off, Honda Japan leaders are too conceited to listen to us. Been there, done that with trying to get thru to their thick heads. They are deaf. For that, we should just move on to other marques.

Hey Silver! Well to those that ask
http://blog.caranddriver.com/you-asked-for-it-you-got-it-toyota-secures-new-trademark-on-supra-name/

Honda owners it seems in most have waited so long most just don't care anymore.

I agree the economy thing is crap when MB sold the entire run of the SLS AMG and Toyota has pretty much done it with the LFA.

I'm glad you mentioned Sochiro as it seems as though since Toyota's heir apprent has taken over all sorts of enthusiasts projects have gotten the green light. Yes even with the economy and all their troubles while Honda and so many of their fanbois are sitting there screaming that the sky is falling.

Sports car heritage will also be a good boost for Honda's PR and Marketing.

Yes because Honda has now become the old Toyota. Toyota has a sportscar and sedan more in the pipeline. The bean counters have deemed the CRZ Hondas new sportscar for the masses....will the real Honda enthusiasts take this lying down:biggrin:

Back