• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R; new owner and maintenance questions

I'd love to come join you all for drives, meet you all in person, admire cars, and hear some different exhausts in person. Thank you for the messages, though I have not figured out yet how to reply.

Welcome to the nsx family. The SD area is lucky to have this special car on their streets.

Were you looking specifically for a type R or did you just happen to cross paths?

Also, what is under the diamond plate floor? Is that the entrance to the bat cave? :)

Welcome to the nsx family. The SD area is lucky to have this special car on their streets.

Were you looking specifically for a type R or did you just happen to cross paths?

Also, what is under the diamond plate floor? Is that the entrance to the bat cave? :)
I only just found out that they made a type R about a year ago. I did a good amount of research and the more I learned about the NSX the more I wanted one. So, I put my feelers and promptly found a low mile, km documented no paint work example. It doesn’t have the red interior, instead the Recaros & carpets are black. Not that it’s here I actually like it a lot in black. Anyone have any ideas how common they are with black interiors?

The existence of a Type-R, I am embarassed to admit, was news to me about year ago. A friend of mine had inspected one in Japan and sent me some pics. I immediately did a good amount of research about NSX in general and concluded I wanted to try one , hence, put my feelers out for a Type-R given they are old enough to be imported without hassle. I used to be a one trick pony and loyal to just one brand, though recently have really enjoyed straying. Most new cars are too fast and capable for my preferred back roads so I am trying to stay close to a certain ideal hp/weight/grip ratio to still have fun yet stay out of trouble.

Most new cars are too fast and capable for my preferred back roads so I am trying to stay close to a certain ideal hp/weight/grip ratio to still have fun yet stay out of trouble.
You won't be disappointed in that case for sure. :wink:

....A friend of mine had inspected one in Japan and sent me some pics....

That's great that you have a friend who helped you inspect the car. Did you get the chance to fly to Japan and see it for yourself or did you anxiously waited for its arrival before laying eyes on it? I can only image being in your shoes if it was the latter.
Even though early 90's cars are now legal to ship, was the shipping/import process was still complex? In generally, would you do it all over again if you could?

Most new cars are too fast and capable for my preferred back roads so I am trying to stay close to a certain ideal hp/weight/grip ratio to still have fun yet stay out of trouble.
Happy to hear you are driving your unicorn! Enjoy. Like you said, it is not a monster-house and the white paint should help you slip under the radar.

Actually, yes, It is the entrance to the bat cave
Now you need a matching black one for your bat cave, unless you already have a secret batmobile under there. :)

Lastly, do you buy yourself one of these for the drive-thru windows? :D
https://www.amazon.com/RMS-Rotating...ol&qid=1560786681&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&th=1

Great googly moogly! Way to step into the ownership experience! I think a different superhero is more befitting in regards to your new acquisition.:wink: https://media1.tenor.com/images/48a454db4dbc7b84e5888607598aa972/tenor.gif?itemid=10554550
ultraman-color.jpg

Last edited:
Lol at Jet Jaguar....

@Sportsmind4me: let's remember the cars are the actual superheroes, I just happened to be the privileged one to take her of some during a short time. @natcc99: I never went and saw it but had detailed pictures and buying experience with my friend. I also have some import history with Japan so that was all really easy. There's companies that handle most of it. I drive all my cars, for sure! As for drive-throughs; it's made for some fun interactions at my gym where you need a ticket for in & out access to the parking garage and of course the ticket machine is on the wrong side;)

Any thoughts on the black interior? I really wanted a red interior but given miles, condition, owner history etc. I just couldn't pass up on this one. The simple white and black combo certainly has been growing on me.

IMG_2925.jpg

Last edited:
haha so many owners have spent lifetimes recreating that...and you just purchased the real thing....:biggrin:

[MENTION=35975]JEI-HondaNSX-R[/MENTION] Thanks for answering my question. Glad everything worked out. Sounds like it was a trouble-free buying experience.
To answer your question, I think the black on white is fine. Simple and not flashy. By the way, that interior looks so clean and well maintained.
If you must, some red floor mats is a quick change to add color.
[MENTION=4282]docjohn[/MENTION] hahaha so true...all these years waiting for it to be legal to import.

Congratulations on your purchase! My inner 16 year old self is squealing in excitement; that some was legally able to bring this unicorn over to the states :cool:

Gents, I know I touched on this earlier in the thread but wanted to check for further feedback. As stated earlier we noticed that the rev limiter cuts out at 7600rpm. Ramon (Niguel Motors) just fully serviced the car and deems it working perfectly. Some of my Japan sources claim that the R runs a lower rev limit but I find that hard to believe. Before we trouble shoot any further, does anyone know what the rev limit on a Type R is supposed to be?

Was the fuel cut verified by using the dash tachometer or a test tachometer connected to the test loop or test point in the engine bay? If it was verified using a test tachometer, then you need to follow up on Kaz's comments, particularly the calibration of the coolant temperature sensor used by the ECU and that the engine is coming up to the design operating temperature. If the fuel cut was verified using the dash tach, then the calibration of the dash tach needs to be verified. Given the age of the car, drift in the value of the electronic components in the tach circuit would not be unreasonable.

I would be inclined to take Kaz's guidance on the fuel cut. However an alternate path to confirming the design engine rev limit question would be to check the part number on the ECU and compare it to the part numbers listed for JDM spec NSXs from the same year (you can find those from searching Amayama.com's parts database). If your ECU part number matches up with a JDM spec NSX that is pretty much a guarantee that the design spec for the R and non R engine is the same. Personally I would not do this since accessing the ECU requires removing the cover on the rear bulkhead with the risk of breaking vintage plastic bits, and Kaz has already told you the answer.

I checked with Plans Performance in the UK who have imported numerous NA1 Type Rs and they also confirmed it is the standard 8,300 RPM fuel cut. Good test suggestions by Old Guy above.

Thank you everyone, this is really helpful. I'll call Ramon Monday to discuss as he is troubleshooting but he is limited in time. Possible next step would be to drop it with Auto Wave in Huntington so they may do the troubleshooting.

Does the NSX runs free or there is a 180 km/h speed limitation?

As above and with Kaz questions, is it cutting out at 180kph? If so that is normal for JDM.

Congratulations on a nice original Type R!

Last edited:
As above and with Kaz questions, is it cutting out at 180kph? If so that is normal for JDM.

Congratulations on a nice original Type R!

I spoke to Ramon in person and he felt a faulty engine temperature sensor was causing the RPM limiter to kick in early. These engines do protect themselves in the case of a cold engine, and it's possible that sensor is getting an incorrect reading.

Back