• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R radiator air duct alignment

Anyone with the vented hood have the air bucket lined up and actually sealing against the hood vent?

Please post pics if you do.

I have the RHD bucket but can't seem to get it to line up and seal against the hood opening:mad:

just taking a guess here but don't we need to know which brand hood and scoop do you have?
I'm kinda curious about this original question and the exact parts involved as I have the SOS scooped hood and am still hesitant to buy the duct till I hear some more positive feedback.

just taking a guess here but don't we need to know which brand hood and scoop do you have?
I'm kinda curious about this original question and the exact parts involved as I have the SOS scooped hood and am still hesitant to buy the duct till I hear some more positive feedback.

I have a Tiatec hood with a Garage Kite NSX-R air duct copy. The hood by itself wouldn't be too efficient.

Once you put the hood on you need to seal up the bottom. Once the bottom is sealed the air needs to be directed straight through the hood vent for downforce on the front end. If the air isn't directed through the vent it would almost be the equivalent of an air brake.

I would be very doubtfull if you will get any aero function from a mix of various hoods, ducts and tray under. I bet that you will get better cooling, that's it.

And I bet you have to be going crazy fast for aero to kick in on something so minor anyways.

I would be very doubtfull if you will get any aero function from a mix of various hoods, ducts and tray under. I bet that you will get better cooling, that's it.

And I bet you have to be going crazy fast for aero to kick in on something so minor anyways.

All three are NSX-R copies. I have the DF NSX-R aluminum undertray which seals up the bottom shoulbe same as the OEM part it was molded from.

NSX-Runderbody.jpg

According to this
NSX-Raerodynamicbreakdown.gif

They all work in sync. I noticed in pics that the NSX-R air duct looks like it seals right up to the vent. Which makes sense. Air comes in through the front opening can no longer go out through the bottom so for cooling you send it through the hood and over the body. If you don't have it channeled some ( air ) would be going through the vent and sides of the hood plus through openings in the undertray which would be disruptive right?

I'm able to get the airduct to fit but when I look though hood vent I see part of the air duct is about an inch to half an inch off which means the hood probably isn't able to sit right either.

Air comes in through the front opening can no longer go out through the bottom so for cooling you send it through the hood and over the body. If you don't have it channeled some ( air ) would be going through the vent and sides of the hood plus through openings in the undertray which would be disruptive right?

I'm able to get the airduct to fit but when I look though hood vent I see part of the air duct is about an inch to half an inch off which means the hood probably isn't able to sit right either.

I have the two front under-aero parts from DF as well. I was on a drive recently and we all pulled over on the side of the road for a pit stop and photo ops. I left my car running and while we were standing around the radiator fan turned on. You ever stand next to a car and when the fan turns on you feel hot air on your feet? Well, my car didn't have any noticeable heat coming from under the car. I put my hand over the vent in the hood (Procar) and it had a nice rush of air coming out of it.

Also, I believe that the slight slant in the hood before the opening creates a low pressure area at the vent which would "suck" the air out from the under-hood area and that the faster you go, the greater the sucking action.

I think that sealing up the under-hood bucket will provide additional efficiency but only minimal efficiency.

That said, I'm saving my pennies for the under-hood bucket thing myself and I'd want it to seal up against the hood duct. But I'd be happy if it came close, as I think there's not much more to be gained anyway (close being an inch or closer).

J

I have a Tiatec hood with a Garage Kite NSX-R air duct copy. The hood by itself wouldn't be too efficient.

Once you put the hood on you need to seal up the bottom. Once the bottom is sealed the air needs to be directed straight through the hood vent for downforce on the front end. If the air isn't directed through the vent it would almost be the equivalent of an air brake.

IIRC, Taitec hood has shallower air vent than the R hood. So if you have Kite Garage R scoop then it won't fit properly to your Taitec hood.
I have the Kite Garage scoop and it fits nicely with my exact R replica hood.

It is possible to get a perfect seal, I was at niguel motors while a scoop was installed on a local imola orange nsx, and (while it required some fitting, and a custom bracket), the resulting alignment was very good. I believe the hood on the car is from downforce, while the scoop is from dali racing.

Sorry, I have no pics, I took some at the time with my cell phone, but they didn't come out.

IIRC, Taitec hood has shallower air vent than the R hood. So if you have Kite Garage R scoop then it won't fit properly to your Taitec hood.
I have the Kite Garage scoop and it fits nicely with my exact R replica hood.

Hmm I'd heard the original Taitec was made from a NSX-R hood just like the DF version .. sigh it gets so confusing ..LOL

Okay my vent comes down far enough but the main rad hose that keeps it from going all the way over. My seal isn't perfect ( at least to me ) because the top lip of the air bucket can be seen through the mesh.

Can you take a pic of yours with the hood down through the mesh so I can see where it lines up. Also can you take a pic of your airbucket installed so I can maybe see what position it's in.

Thanks!

It is possible to get a perfect seal, I was at niguel motors while a scoop was installed on a local imola orange nsx, and (while it required some fitting, and a custom bracket), the resulting alignment was very good. I believe the hood on the car is from downforce, while the scoop is from dali racing.

Sorry, I have no pics, I took some at the time with my cell phone, but they didn't come out.

Hey Scorp do you know the owner so that maybe I could pm him?

Back