• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX-R Shock specs (NA2)

Does anyone have the NA2 NSX-R shock specs (valving)? I'm wondering if it is possible to rebuild a set of shocks to similar specs.

In regards to springs, I believe it's widely known and accepted that the spring rates are 10kg/mm and 8kg/mm front and rear.

Any input is appreciated.

You may want to try to contact Showa to get the full specs. The suspension is discontinued, so there is less chance of them resisting due to helping competitors...

My question is whether the shocks can be rebuilt to similar performance specs to match up with the spring rates...
Depends on the shocks you have (must be rebuildable). Reputable shock companys can customize them for you. They won't be spot on.
It may need several tries and a little compromise.

I emailed Showa and got back a canned response:

"Dear Sirs.

We regret to inform you that we have no direct sales to third party, since we are one of OEM manufacture of Assemblers.

And we deliver the spare parts only to Assembler(HONDA), so please contact to Assembler for further information.

So, please contact to Assembler(HONDA) for further information.

With best regards,

SHOWA"

A local suspension rebuilder says he needs this: "Increase low speed comp damping by x% and high speed by y%. Also need shim stack information. For low speed damping, I would need to push on the car to feel for resistance. For high speed, you would need to drive the car with suspension travel indicators to get a feel for the damping. If the spring rates and damping are correctly matched now, then a 15% increase in spring rate, should be matched with a 15% increase in high speed rebound valving."

I am not sure what this means. Maybe you guys do?

Last edited:
This means that he's working try and error, maybe with some experience in what direction to go or NOT to go. You can calculate the differential equations but still need to confirm how it feels on the road. That's why all manufacturers still test their cars on a test track. As the funds of a private party are not infinite it's sometimes better to go with a good known setup/kit as there are a few out there for the NSX.

If you can get hold of a Type R and Type S shock you could dynotest the valving. These results would be interesting to some People (me).

Yes, probably the best to do so.

If there is anyone with the OEM NSX-R setup willing to shock dyno their suspension, I'm sure a few members might be willing to crowd fund the exercise.

Alas, I'll leave it here.

Yes, probably the best to do so.

If there is anyone with the OEM NSX-R setup willing to shock dyno their suspension, I'm sure a few members might be willing to crowd fund the exercise.

Alas, I'll leave it here.
bumping this thread. I'd be interested in the dyno plot as well and willing to help fund the endeavor. [MENTION=18194]Honcho[/MENTION].. c'mon bud! Come thru for us :)

If I buy one I will have it dynoed for sure. Have to find a NSX first... and need to wait on some stock options to kick in before that... :)

My thought, too, was to either tune a set of JRZ or Penske to the specs...leaning Penske...

I'm still on schedule to receive the NSX-R shocks to dyno. Woohoo!! Big thanks to that certain someone. You know who you are :)

I think getting the NSX-R specs gives a good starting point. I reckon I will still need to do some fine tweaking to get it perfect. Any good adjustable shock will give you the benefit of a plush street ride and a tight track config. I'm very excited about this.

I'm still on schedule to receive the NSX-R shocks to dyno. Woohoo!! Big thanks to that certain someone. You know who you are :)

I think getting the NSX-R specs gives a good starting point. I reckon I will still need to do some fine tweaking to get it perfect. Any good adjustable shock will give you the benefit of a plush street ride and a tight track config. I'm very excited about this.
[MENTION=20915]RYU[/MENTION] Did you ever get that set dynoed? It may drive my decisions I posted on my build thread. :D

After looking at your project thread I'd skip both the JRZ and KW3 (as well as the NSX-R setup) and go directly to the MCS dampers. If you are going to track it I'd recommend the 2 way remote canister setup. I am running this with Eibach 550lb springs in the front and 450lb springs in the rear (virtually the same rates as the NSX-R). This setup gives you (IMO) the ultimate setup for the track, infinitely tune-able, yet almost stock-like feel on the street (when you dial back the rebound setting) even with the higher rate springs.

Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Back