• ***Text Box Error UPDATE*** Folks- we were able to fix the underlying issue with the missing text box on the forum. Everything should be back to normal. - Honcho

NSX Rear Speaker Fitmit Recommendations

I am currently finishing off my stereo system with speakers and an AMP. Question I have for all you guru's out there is what speaker size will fit in the rear factory mount between the seats. I am looking at a 4" coax for rear fill, is that to big and if so can someone recommend one that will fit even if it requires a little shoehorning into the mount?

Thanks -

Oh, and a little off topic - I have the Alpine IVA-W205 head unit and have been looking at the Alpine PXA-H701 Multimedia Manager; any reason to purchase the aformentioned product or would it be overkill considering the amount of speakers and cabin space being rather limited?

Last edited:
I am also going to be changing my stereo(starting next Monday) all around. When I consulted experienced people they said that rear speaker is useless and they would not be connecting it. Also, they said that it was for phone in older NSX. Not sure if that helps but this is what I learnt. I would love to use that speaker if it helps.

Last edited:
Also, they said that it was for phone in older NSX. Not sure if that helps but this is what I learnt.

that is the same as what I have always known is that it was for phone and not the audio system of the car.
that having been said, I have no idea what size it is/was.
have you looked in service manual? I have one at home I can look in and see if it supplies that information for you.

The rear speaker is not just for the factory phone (if installed) although some who have installed aftermarket stereo systems have directly hooked it up as a phone only or NAV speaker. It works as the rear speaker of the car in all factory NSX's and is powered/amplified by the factory subwoofer speaker amp. Additionally, the rear speaker is not useless unless you are running a very loud system that will overdrive the rear speaker. Try fading all your sound to the front speakers of the car at a reasonable level, you will notice the difference, the surrounding sound fill is gone. Most stereo shops or installers just don't want to mess with it and generally are focused on making your ears bleed from my experience which is not waht I am going for. I want clean sound, not shake the windows and bolts loose in the car sound which is why I'm only going with an 8" flat sub in the floor panel with a custom enclosure.

I'm thinking that a 3.5 inch is all that will fit although I would love to be able to squeeze a 4 inch coax plate speaker into that space. Just don't want to buy something that I can't use and I don't want to have my car torn apart on the inside to figure it out since I order all my stereo equipment off Ebay due to the half price I can normally get everything at.

Appreciate the offer to look in the service book, I have it and it appears that there is a 2 inch speaker installed.

Last edited:
Okay, took the car apart to figure this out - the factory rear center speaker in the NSX is a 2.75" speaker. A 4" inch speaker will mount in it's place but you can't exceed a 2.5" mounting depth which most aftermarket 4" speakers don't require. The one I am going with has a 2" mounting depth.

Thanks everyone -

If you have an aftermarket amp and speakers, how do you go about including a single 4" rear speaker with that setup? If you got a 4-channel amp, and 2 are used for the fronts, 2 bridged for the sub, how do you get power to the rear for fill?

If you have an aftermarket amp and speakers, how do you go about including a single 4" rear speaker with that setup? If you got a 4-channel amp, and 2 are used for the fronts, 2 bridged for the sub, how do you get power to the rear for fill?

I am going to use my multimedia head unit to power the speaker. I have 50x4 available, I figure that is enough power for a small 4" speaker; well 25W should be enough, the speaker is only rated at 45W RMS anyway. I'm still trying to find out if I can bridge or combine both rear speaker outputs on my head unit to this single speaker without blowing up the internal AMP, if so than I will have 50W to that speaker even though I will never use that much power because I don't play my stereo that loud in the car. I'm calling Alpine on Monday to confirm my IVA-W205 will do it or not. I may just have to use a resistor or something.

Last edited:
Okay, update on hooking up the single rear speaker - I talked with Alpine, you can't bridge or use both channels coming off the headunit to power one speaker, it will burn up the internal amps in the headunit since they weren't designed for that. So I have purchased the Alpine Multi-Media Expander PA-H701. This unit will give me expanded adjustability for sound, i.e. an EQ that is directly controllable with my W205 and still allow me to use my Alpine 4.150 amplifier without going to a 5 channel amp. I will be using 1 channel per speaker, 1-2 for the doors, 3 for the rear speaker (Y cable adapter on one end of the RCA to combine both left and right rear into one speaker at the PA-H701 side, and 4 for the sub. The PA-H701 can be programmed at a per speaker power and frequency rate so even though I only have one gain adjustment on the 4.150 amp or channels 3-4, I can turn the power level up or down at the EQ (PA-H701) level for balancing the single rear and single sub. I believe at this time that 150W for speaker should be plenty.

It's actually a pretty nice device, it has a microphone that you hook up to it for autotuning and balancing the sound system in the car. If you want one of these things, get it on Ebay, bought mine new in box never used for 320.00 which includes the fiber optic cable that runs between the headunit and the PA-H701. I think they would run you over 550.00 with optic cable if you pay retail.

Last edited:
Commander,

I see you are located in Springfield. I've driven my NSX there a couple of times. Here are some photos of a Yellow 97 that had a different way to achieve rear speakers. Looks cool but not sure they are necessary.

Good luck with the project. Sounds like you are having fun.

Shaun

Attachments

• Rear Speaker Pod covered.jpg
    Rear Speaker Pod covered.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 524
  • Rear Speaker Pod exposed.jpeg
    Rear Speaker Pod exposed.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 536
Commander,

I see you are located in Springfield. I've driven my NSX there a couple of times. Here are some photos of a Yellow 97 that had a different way to achieve rear speakers. Looks cool but not sure they are necessary.

Good luck with the project. Sounds like you are having fun.

Shaun

That looks pretty nice, I agree that it may not be necessary though in regards to sound. i think just keeping the one between the seats will accomplish what I'm looking for plus I would need another amp to go that route for the sub.

Have to give props when due though, very creative and nice pods. Looks factory... Thanks for the photos, find yourself passing through drop me a line, amybe we can meet.

Agree - a 5-ch amp to run all the speakers would be the ticket. I used the center channel speaker in my stereo upgrade, but put in a simple switch to turn it on and off. In my experience, with the roof on - the center channel did not help imaging but with the roof off, having the center channel helped.

Also, with a passenger in the car - the center channel was helpful since the door speakers could be blocked partially by legs.

PM me your contact information. My parents live in SPFD so I'm there once in a while. I've never ridden in a NA2 and would like to see what it's like. I'm lurking in the market for a NA2.

Shaun

So I have purchased the Alpine Multi-Media Expander PA-H701. This unit will give me expanded adjustability for sound, i.e. an EQ that is directly controllable with my W205 and still allow me to use my Alpine 4.150 amplifier without going to a 5 channel amp. I will be using 1 channel per speaker, 1-2 for the doors, 3 for the rear speaker (Y cable adapter on one end of the RCA to combine both left and right rear into one speaker at the PA-H701 side, and 4 for the sub. The PA-H701 can be programmed at a per speaker power and frequency rate so even though I only have one gain adjustment on the 4.150 amp or channels 3-4, I can turn the power level up or down at the EQ (PA-H701) level for balancing the single rear and single sub. I believe at this time that 150W for speaker should be plenty.

I have the IVA-W200 in my TL and there's no way i'd be able to stand it without the DSP unit. The EQ settings on the HU by itself are crap. I'm not sure if it is any better on the newer head units.

I think you made a good choice. I haven't regretted the setup I built for a second.

Where are you mounting the H701? I found it nice for reducing wire clutter behind the stereo too since you only have a single audio (fiber) cable coming out of the stereo instead of big RCA cables and/or speaker wires. I also forgot about the AI-Net cable that you need to run from the HU to the DSP to control it. I think it is included with the 701 but I bought an additional one before I found that out.

Last edited:
I am actually thinking of mounting it inthe trunk with the amp and the CD changer, this will of course shorten the RCA cable runs to the amp. I thought that all I needed to do was run the fiber optic cable from the H701 to the W205 head unit, didn't realize that I needed to run both the optic and the AINET cable to the HU. I must have missed that in the install directions, will have to check it out.

Any install tips let me know - oh and by the way, I completely agree with the your statement about the HU sucking when I comes to adjusting sound, its very bleak at best. Looking forward to seeing what the H701 can do...

Back