• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Recall

I picked mine up yesterday and it felt a bit soft at full throttle. I did a couple of laps on and off the freeway ramps and it seemed back to normal. I have a track day Wednesday, so we'll see what happens.

Mine is scheduled for Monday 10/22/18, I suspect they will have it 3-4 days....:eek:

Mine went in this past Monday, and I will get it back tomorrow or Saturday...... I was told they are taking their time, covering everything they can, and being very careful..... Was nice to hear that, I guess. I was told it was very labor intensive. Not sure it was totally necessary, but Honda, via the recall was covering their ass, and handing the liability over to the owner. So, as you were warned, you have to do the recall or suffer the consequences if something happened if you don't. Can't blame them. Just the world of legal liability we live in.......

Mine will now have been in the shop for a total of nine days due to this recall. I'm sure most of you have read about the poor service I had on FB.

Mine went in this past Monday, and I will get it back tomorrow or Saturday...... I was told they are taking their time, covering everything they can, and being very careful..... Was nice to hear that, I guess. I was told it was very labor intensive. Not sure it was totally necessary, but Honda, via the recall was covering their ass, and handing the liability over to the owner. So, as you were warned, you have to do the recall or suffer the consequences if something happened if you don't. Can't blame them. Just the world of legal liability we live in.......
Honda's not the only one, look at the GT40 recall. One up in flames in Germany. Even early 458s had a fire problem with an adhesive that melted over the header area.
Glad no one was hurt and things are being fixed. Moving on and enjoying it.

Crazy. Basically three days for mine. What are they saying? Did they get damaged parts and waiting for replacements?

They did the tanks correctly, it was everything else. They aligned the car so poorly that the steering wheel was off center and the car pulled badly to the right. The car had a bad vibration from bad balancing of the new tires they put on, and they scratched and gouged the wheels. I brought the car back to them and they treated me so poorly that I called Acura Relations and had the car removed from them and taken by flatbed to another dealer. This subsequent dealer confirmed that the car should have never been delivered with the poor alignment. They attempted to rebalance the wheels/tires and discovered that they were defective from the manufacturer. There is no way I'll ever bring my car back to Napleton's Acura in West Palm beach. They are so unqualified to even work on a Yugo.

They did the tanks correctly, it was everything else. They aligned the car so poorly that the steering wheel was off center and the car pulled badly to the right. The car had a bad vibration from bad balancing of the new tires they put on, and they scratched and gouged the wheels. I brought the car back to them and they treated me so poorly that I called Acura Relations and had the car removed from them and taken by flatbed to another dealer. This subsequent dealer confirmed that the car should have never been delivered with the poor alignment. They attempted to rebalance the wheels/tires and discovered that they were defective from the manufacturer. There is no way I'll ever bring my car back to Napleton's Acura in West Palm beach. They are so unqualified to even work on a Yugo.

Get the Porsche Rob....:wink:

Any tips I can share with my dealer on fixing the wind noise? They've already replaced the window seal, and they say the noise persists. They're waiting for corporate for additional assistance.

Fuel tanks and 3rd brake light are replaced; oil change also completed.

Last edited:
Any tips I can share with my dealer on fixing the wind noise? They've already replaced the window seal, and they say the noise persists. They're waiting for corporate for additional assistance.

My local NSX Tech replaced two sets of window/door seals to fix the problem because just one did not do it. Have your NSX Tech call the one at Chapman Acura in Tucson and he'll pass on the info.

My local NSX Tech replaced two sets of window/door seals to fix the problem because just one did not do it. Have your NSX Tech call the one at Chapman Acura in Tucson and he'll pass on the info.

Thanks, I'll share this information.

That's terrible, the problem I see with that is service manager not completing a thorough post repair inspection including reviewing the alignment sheet. Manufacturers recall and warranties pay dealerships well, it just shows everyone from the tech to the manager they didn't care. I would write to the director/general manager or the owner about your experience

There’s two seals in play here. There’s the body seal that wraps completely around the door opening. And then there’s the door seal with the front window run channel integrated to it. I typically want to replace both of these seals as a set. Finally, there’s also an adjustment that can be made to the window “camber” that can make the glass sit tighter against the body seal.

It’s not rocket science. Really is shocking to hear how many dealers have thrown up their hands unable to fix these wind noises.

That's terrible, the problem I see with that is service manager not completing a thorough post repair inspection including reviewing the alignment sheet. Manufacturers recall and warranties pay dealerships well, it just shows everyone from the tech to the manager they didn't care. I would write to the director/general manager or the owner about your experience

Service managers/directors do not typically do QC on repairs. Even on a NSX. The technician supposedly test drives the car beforehand, so they are the best person to test drive the car after the repair to make sure everything is good.

It was the right move to pull that car out of there and get it to another dealer. Mounting tires and alignment (though quite a bit more complex with the NC1 because of the shims) is a pretty basic thing for a technician to do. Shame they screwed that up.

There’s two seals in play here. There’s the body seal that wraps completely around the door opening. And then there’s the door seal with the front window run channel integrated to it. I typically want to replace both of these seals as a set. Finally, there’s also an adjustment that can be made to the window “camber” that can make the glass sit tighter against the body seal.

It’s not rocket science. Really is shocking to hear how many dealers have thrown up their hands unable to fix these wind noises.

Shouldn't the details of the wind noise fix exist in a TSB for all dealers to reference?

Shouldn't the details of the wind noise fix exist in a TSB for all dealers to reference?

Not all of the common problems on all of our carlines are called out by TSBs.

Plus, until a cause of the problem is truly hammered down and/or a countermeasured part is made a available, they really don’t want to publish anything. And they’ve done neither so far. They’re still working on the squeaking noise from the carbon fiber gague visors, that we all know about, but still aren’t really quite sure what spot exactly is binding to make the noise.

Independent shops too. In 2011, I took my 1995 NSX to Hill Top Auto in Daly City, CA (well regarded by many here on Prime) for service that included looking into why the driver's window was operating slowly. I also asked them to adjust the position of the window to reduce wind noise. When I got the car back they told me cars develop wind noise with age and there was nothing they could do about it. Next time I took the car to another shop they adjusted the same window and reduced the noise considerably.

FYI, I took my car in for tanks on Monday Oct. 15th. On Thursday of that week, I got a phone call from the dealer that informed me that the the parts package sent was missing an O ring, and it would be ordered and there would be a delay. The car was apart and ready in the process of putting it back together when the missing part was discovered, On Monday the 22nd I got another call informing me that they had discovered a missing tank seal of some sort and this would have to be overnighted..... So, 10 days in I'm still waiting for my car over $5 worth of parts...... I'm hoping to have it back tomorrow or Friday, unless of course, they find another missing part..... It is Acura's fault...... Sloppy packaging...... My advice is that when you take your car in for tanks request the Tech inventory parts before tearing your car apart. The inventory packing slip that was in the box indicated that all parts were present, but parts were missing. Better yet, have your dealer order the parts and inventory them BEFORE you bring the car in. Hopefully mine will be an isolated case. Just trying to eliminate frustration for a fellow owner if possible.......

Last edited:
Now you tell me...hehehe

Took my car in on Monday, stopped by yesterday to take a look. Car is apart, tanks need to be dropped, tech was telling me Friday (as long as ALL parts are there)...:wink:
My car is the 2nd one he has done, still has to do the thermostat and chmsl also...:cool:

I would love to see a pic of the car in pieces...

Dealership did replace both seals and performed a glass track adjustment (camber?) too. They're now replacing the mount of the side mirror which also has a gasket/seal.

Service managers/directors do not typically do QC on repairs. Even on a NSX. The technician supposedly test drives the car beforehand, so they are the best person to test drive the car after the repair to make sure everything is good.

It was the right move to pull that car out of there and get it to another dealer. Mounting tires and alignment (though quite a bit more complex with the NC1 because of the shims) is a pretty basic thing for a technician to do. Shame they screwed that up.

If im in management I would take it upon myself to make sure the NSX's have a thorough walk through after any repair. I know it's not common but that's a $150k car, it should require extra attention. Look all the negative publicity it draws, 10-15 minutes discussion and review could of avoided it all that mess

when you are producing a product in such low numbers every customer is your ambassador/promoter/fan-club.....you really need to impress each one.... that mantra needs to gets to the dealer level

Back