• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Recall

Mine was finished today, so 3 days.

The laugh is I couldn't get there today to pick it up prior to closing and tomorrow is a long day, trying to get stuff done ahead of being off next week so it will have to wait for Friday morning.

Got mine back this evening

I had previously thought that the tanks were sent in one box pre-assembled.

They actually come in 2 boxes, one of which includes the connector. The issue is that the packing material was causing a kink in the connector.

Mine was the third they did. There is still an issue with getting tanks. My guy had to pull some strings to get the one for my car.

They did the tanks, thermostat, tail lamp, USB software, switched over to winter wheels and tires, a nice cleaning and touch up the 2 paint chips on my hood.

Car ran great on the way home. Left the radio off to enjoy some high tech sounds.

Got mine back this evening

I had previously thought that the tanks were sent in one box pre-assembled.

They actually come in 2 boxes, one of which includes the connector. The issue is that the packing material was causing a kink in the connector.

Mine was the third they did. There is still an issue with getting tanks. My guy had to pull some strings to get the one for my car.

They did the tanks, thermostat, tail lamp, USB software, switched over to winter wheels and tires, a nice cleaning and touch up the 2 paint chips on my hood.

Car ran great on the way home. Left the radio off to enjoy some high tech sounds.
Awesome. Glad it went well.
My service advisor said the person packing the tanks was folding the connector to put it in the box. One of many stories out there on what caused the problem?
Mine got the USB update too but not sure what the problem was - I'll google it later. I know it doesn't like m4a files and I have to convert to mp3. I'll just use my iPhone for music and skip converting.

I called the Service Mgr. at my local Acura dealership about three weeks back and made an appointment for the tail light and gas tank recall. We made it far enough out so he could make sure all the parts would come in on time. He said if you don't here from me everything is fine. Took my 2017 in on the morning of Thur. Dec 27th. First thing I asked the Service Mgr. was "did you guys inventory the parts to make sure you had everything". He says "yes". Its now Saturday afternoon on the 29th at about 4:00pm and I get a call from NOT the service Mgr. saying they received two left gas tanks. He said maybe they will get a right side one Monday from the local warehouse. I Doubt It!!! Geeeeez!! My guess it will be two more weeks. Disappointing!

I called the Service Mgr. at my local Acura dealership about three weeks back and made an appointment for the tail light and gas tank recall. We made it far enough out so he could make sure all the parts would come in on time. He said if you don't here from me everything is fine. Took my 2017 in on the morning of Thur. Dec 27th. First thing I asked the Service Mgr. was "did you guys inventory the parts to make sure you had everything". He says "yes". Its now Saturday afternoon on the 29th at about 4:00pm and I get a call from NOT the service Mgr. saying they received two left gas tanks. He said maybe they will get a right side one Monday from the local warehouse. I Doubt It!!! Geeeeez!! My guess it will be two more weeks. Disappointing!

Guess that service manager didn’t read the memo sent to all dealers a couple months ago telling them to open all the boxes and make sure the tanks are in good shape, correct, and for this country.

Tanks are available. Your dealer can order them with overnight shipping and your car will be back on the road in a couple business days.

I'm not sure how many of you here have been following my journey on FB regarding my gas tank fiasco. As of two weeks ago eight rear tires, four front tires, and two alignments after the gas tank replacement, my car still can't be driven straight over 40mph. I filed the Lemon Law manufactures defect form with Acura and I'm awaiting their response. I had a service director from a third dealership drive my car, and he said they've done nine recalls and not one of their cars had the problem mine has. I'm confident that my car has to go back to factory for them to disassemble it and figure out how Francis, the NSX tech at Napleton's Acura Palm Beach, fvcked up my car so badly.

not sure why the PMC and Acura NA has not stepped in and requested that the car be shipped back to the PMC for a factory reset AND done and investigation of the dealer for the colossal mess up.. something was obviously not bolted back together right OR something happened during the test drive after it was that caused as severe unseen misalignment... going back to the factory on the factory line would be the only way to get that fixed i would think to guarantee accuracy...

The PMC builds cars. I do not believe they have a customer service function. They are not set up for general fixes. They do a small number of rebuilds for crashed cars.

If the second dealership can't get the car right, you might see some escalation, like having a tech from corporate come out to look at the car.

It seems more likely that the lemon law will save the day.

Then the bigger questions are will Doc get another one and will he move back to MA to escape all these bad FL associated experiences.

not sure why the PMC and Acura NA has not stepped in and requested that the car be shipped back to the PMC for a factory reset AND done and investigation of the dealer for the colossal mess up.. something was obviously not bolted back together right OR something happened during the test drive after it was that caused as severe unseen misalignment... going back to the factory on the factory line would be the only way to get that fixed i would think to guarantee accuracy...

...Then the bigger questions are will Doc get another one and will he move back to MA to escape all these bad FL associated experiences.

Negative to both. Acura really screwed the pooch on this one with me. And although I love and miss Beantown, I can’t live in cold weather anymore.

It’s not a physical alignment issue. The car is perfectly aligned according the $50k alignment rack that the dealers had to buy to align the NSX. The problem is more electronic than anything else.

evora...................................

evora...................................
Funny you mentioned that. I have been considering them but I think a M3 May suit me better. Or even a stupid Focus RS again. That car was so fun to drive and i could park it anywhere.

Why not get a TLX A-spec with a super performing 280 hp 3.5 liter V6?:rolleyes:

I thought you liked me. Sheesh. If you really wanted to kick me in then balls, Why not recommend I get it at the same dealer who screwed up my car.

Last edited:
I thought you liked me. Sheesh. If you really wanted to kick me in then balls, Why not recommend I get it at the same dealer who screwed up my car.
Maybe you'll get 2 free car washes if you do buy it from them.:biggrin: but naw, I want you to get made right and it is appaling to see that nothing has been done yet! But I imagine it takes time. Good luck and happy new year!

Update on Tank replacment

Guess that service manager didn’t read the memo sent to all dealers a couple months ago telling them to open all the boxes and make sure the tanks are in good shape, correct, and for this country.Tanks are available. Your dealer can order them with overnight shipping and your car will be back on the road in a couple business days.
UPDATE ON GAS TANK REPLACEMENT: 12-29-2018 from Troon. Right side tank was shipped and caused no delay in the replacement of the tanks. I want to give the dealership, Dick Hannah of Portland Or, a pass on the initial gas tank snafu. They got the tanks, and they were both labeled with the proper numbers for left and right tanks on the box and the tanks themselves. Anyone would assume at that point they were what they are labeled. But they ended up with two left tanks. And really how many NSX tanks has the parts dept. seen out of the box? Its understandable. Got my car back today with no problems. I thought it didn't have the initial acceleration, that snap in second gear, that I was used while driving it home but I do think it is ok after taking it out for another drive this afternoon. The technician kept me up to date on the car as he was working on it and invited me down to the dealership to look at the car while it was completely torn apart. Pretty cool to look at all the components that are normally covered up by panels ect.. The rear high mount brake light was replaced under recall as well as the USB update. The NSX Technician at Dick Hannah is Morgan Peetz and I would recommend him to any NSX owners in the Portland area.

Last edited:
The NSX Technician at Dick Hannah is Morgan Peetz and I would recommend him to any NSX owners in the Portland area.

Solid reputation with gen 1 owners.

Same problem happened to me. I called Friday to pick up car and was told one of the tanks was wrong. Whoever is shipping the parts needs to find a new job.

Same problem happened to me. I called Friday to pick up car and was told one of the tanks was wrong. Whoever is shipping the parts needs to find a new job.

Behind the scenes.

Guy packing tanks: “Hey these are both left side tanks.”
Warehouse parts manager: “Yeah. Don't worry just ship them.”
Panking guy: “But when they get them they can’t do the recall.”
Manager: “It’s their problem once they open the box. These rich people who own the car won’t care. They probably have other expensive cars to drive.”
Packing guy: “You’re probably right. Fuck em.”

And really how many NSX tanks has the parts dept. seen out of the box?

Supposedly, all of them. There was a communication sent to all dealers months ago telling them to open the boxes and make sure no hoses are kinked, a left is in a left labeled box, a right is in a right labeled box, and the tanks are for US market. Had a lot of pictures showing correct and incorrect.

Behind the scenes.

Guy packing tanks: “Hey these are both left side tanks.”
Warehouse parts manager: “Yeah. Don't worry just ship them.”
Panking guy: “But when they get them they can’t do the recall.”
Manager: “It’s their problem once they open the box. These rich people who own the car won’t care. They probably have other expensive cars to drive.”
Packing guy: “You’re probably right. Fuck em.”

It would seem to be symptomatic of today's younger generations [I know, a very broard generalization!].

A friend was recently having the turbo on the engine of his Toyota small omnibus replaced, which was done in a reputable workshop. On start-up there was copious amounts of smoke from the turbo housing and everyone assumed it was a faulty turbo seal. On removal it was discovered it wasn't a faulty seal, because there wasn't a seal there at all..................

So solid that I can't believe Acura doesn't list him as the NSX techician on the Acura website. A different guy is listed as the NSX tech at the dealership.

Some of the very best dealer technicians are not publicly named. I know of quite a few, myself included, that just blend into the woodwork.

I also know of some who have a lot of certifications and/or awards, that their dealer plays up and makes a big deal out of. What usually happens there is that particular technician gets overloaded with mundane less critical work like oil changes and so on because customers now only want that guy to touch their car.

Back