• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX red paint codes?

Sup guys,

I was wondering where i could find the actual OEM paint code for the Formula Red NSX. Also, has the color varied since 91 like the white and silver or has it always been the same code?

The paint code for Formula Red is R-77 and was used '91 to '99. New Formula Red (paint code R-510) was used in '99 for the Zanardi editions and on all red NSXs from 2000 to present. NFR is supposed to be a tad darker than FR but the difference is extremely subtle.

I also have a wondered if somewhere in the mid-90s ('95 and '96?) they used a different supplier for paint because I think the red looks a little bit different on those years based on what I have seen.. but I haven't really seen enough side-by-side in like-new condition to be positive. Perhaps it was just a matter of condition or the polish/wax products used on the cars.

I wasn't aware white had ever changed. ??

Lud,

Funny you should say that about the reds because for some reason, I can always pick out a 91-93 NSX aside from seeing another one and just knowing its newer. This is aside from the NSX-T that makes it a dead giveaway from body color. And even if the earlier NSX's have different rims, I can always tell its 91-93. (shrug). Thankyou for the paint codes though. I dont suppose you know if Honda put a weird undercoat? I ask because the 99-00 Civic Si has one paint code, but underneath it, it has almost a bright pink undercoating. Without the undercoat, the actual paint itself doesnt match.

Both Formula Red and New Formula Red are two-part colors, though they do not use a colored "undercoat" - instead they use one color paint and another color clearcoat to produce the final color.

It is more of an orange-ish paint underneath with a purple-ish clearcoat on top. Looking at the orange through the purple makes it look red and gives it "depth" (so they say).

Uh, what are you trying to do? Aftermarket paint doesn't work the same as OEM. I would not expect to get the tinted clearcoat from an aftermarket paint job.

You cannot repaint a car with OEM paint. It is simply not possible, nor is it even available - but even if the paint were available, an aftermarket body/paint shop could not use it because it has to be used on a totally bare metal shell and then baked on.

What people mean when they say they are repainting to OEM is that they are matching the OEM color with aftermarket paint. They will look up the OEM paint code, like R-77, and get a paint matching code for whatever paint supplier they use (DuPont, PPG, etc.)

I believe the paints that matche the red used on the NSX are simply that color pigmented paint with a clear clearcoat.

Back