• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Satisfaction?

fastaussie

Suspended
the new NSX is finally out, has been for a little while, and some Primers have actually taken possession of theirs. it has been tested thoroughly by the media, we all know how fast it is, we know the weight and other specs. many of us have seen one in person by now (i saw my first car on the road about a week ago), and it has both good and bad reviews. so i'm curious, with all honesty what is your opinion of the new car? is it what you expected? is it better? is it less than? has it met, exceeded or disappointed your expectations? is it a worthy successor to the original we all love and revere? what do you think?

the new NSX is finally out, has been for a little while, and some Primers have actually taken possession of theirs. it has been tested thoroughly by the media, we all know how fast it is, we know the weight and other specs. many of us have seen one in person by now (i saw my first car on the road about a week ago), and it has both good and bad reviews. so i'm curious, with all honesty what is your opinion of the new car? is it what you expected? is it better? is it less than? has it met, exceeded or disappointed your expectations? is it a worthy successor to the original we all love and revere? what do you think?
I'm curious - you mention these so-called 'bad reviews', and you've made reference to these 'bad' reviews in previous postings. Where exactly are these 'bad reviews' ? I've been proactive in seeking and reading and watching many, many reviews, yet I can't say I've come across one that could be described as 'bad'. Certainly there have been a minority of reviewers that have put a question mark around the benefits of the hybrid technology, which is a valid question to ask, but really have any slated the car as 'bad'?

Loving the car so far. Its more comfortable on long drives than I expected and looks better in person than I expected. Its fast as f*k and ripping around the back roads of western MA has been a blast and a half. It is a daily driver super car, like the NSX promises to be.

I'm curious - you mention these so-called 'bad reviews', and you've made reference to these 'bad' reviews in previous postings. Where exactly are these 'bad reviews' ? I've been proactive in seeking and reading and watching many, many reviews, yet I can't say I've come across one that could be described as 'bad'. Certainly there have been a minority of reviewers that have put a question mark around the benefits of the hybrid technology, which is a valid question to ask, but really have any slated the car as 'bad'?
if you haven't read any negative or lackluster reviews about the new NSX, then you haven't read any reviews. we all know what's been said, both good and bad.but that's not the purpose of this thread, i am looking to hear personal opinions of Primers as to how they feel about this car. if it has lived up to what they thought it was going to be, has it met their original expectations from when it was announced or released?

The New NSX

Sorry, Prime used to space. Here is our opinion so its probably two french fries short of a happy meal.We like MT Jason Cammisa video review at Sears Point, Randy Pobst video at Laguna is roughly 3sec. lower than Ryan Rush here on Prime in near stock form. Article-wise, we like Andrew Frankel at MotorSport Mag. and here is the the link to his review back in 2015 of the old NSX but the new NSX review you have to read it in the Sept. 2016 issue. We agree with Andrew, the new NSX is stupid fast but its very different. Andrew has a nice way with words. http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/road-cars/praise-honda-nsxHere This is what we know, sometime ago, one of the models of Acura RLX came with 3.5 V6 with 3 electric motors AND all wheel steering + all the latest sensor technology to make it safer to drive. It was a sleeper. The layout of the electric motors is one behind the engine, two in the rear. The price point is north of $60k+ and it never sold well as Lexus had a better deal overall.The short time we were with Hoehn Acura, we had to watch an Acura training video explaining all the models so that was something new to us as well as the double pane windows. That video has been taken down shortly after the NSX launch. This suppose to be the Honda halo, super car but its made from alum. like our 30yr old car. It has a 6 cyl. like ours. The DCT shifts super fast but weight 2-3x more than a regular gear box and the weight is at the wrong end of the car. The Longitudinal layout, we likey. They added "light wt. steel" to strength the A-pillar; which should had been a carbon tub to begin with like all the other super cars. IMO, most of the super cars now days are ~1000 lbs heavier. compare to the 25yr old Big Mac F1 and its a V12 at Miata mid-2.5k lb. wt. w/o carbon brakes!! Gordon Murray is da man! Some super cars have active aero but not the NSX, WUWT? And at 4000lbs+, you are paying by the pound than by the gram w/ one driver and you can only move weight around but you can not dial-it-out, no wonder you need magnetic dampers, 10 heat exchangers(so we read) and power everything so "you don't feel the weight". Our NSX is simple with elegant engineering execution ie. the svelt forged alum wishbone, the upright and there is still room to improve the car like replacing parts that will rust;-)....we prefer to learn to be a faster driver than buy a fast car that drives for you.Our car is way better than most scribes give it credit for and we believe there is still room to improve the car every year. But then again, everyone is different so as long as: “If a car doesn’t make you excited every time you climb inside, then it’s just a tool. And if it’s just a tool, you may as well use the bus”....JC. Big Mac 570S/12C FTW! but our budget fits the Alfa 4C better.

Last edited:
After a couple of weeks, including two days at the track, I can say that the car essentially is meeting my expectations. Although it is fun to own the "It Car" of the moment (like the early R35 GT-R or the C7Z06) that beat all expectations, these magazine stack-rankings measure fairly minor differences and are secondary or tertiary factors in terms of my subjective satisfaction. I like the way it looks. I like the way it drives. I like the way it sounds. It is "fast enough" even around racetracks. I'm a happy camper.Quibbles: I wish the driving modes were more customizable and assignable to a "macro" button a la the M5. The defaults could be the same, but i like the option to tweak. I also wish the car would not fire up ICE in quiet mode (especially if car is already warmed up). At certain times of day, the rear hatch reflects the engine cover creating glare in the rear view mirror.The new NSX is objectively awesome, although not everyone will subjectively conclude that it is the best car for them right now.

Last edited:
Fastaussie, you have pretty much bashed the car nonstop, why do you care what anyone who actually owns one has to say?

I've worked in technology all my life but for me tech is a means to an end, not an end in itself. There are cars without torque vectoring that corner as fast as the NSX and yet retain a nice steering feedback feel. There are non-hybrid cars as fast as the NSX that get better gas mileage. The NSX does hide turbo lag with its motors and it does offer quiet mode. Those points are to the car's credit, but I think it's disappointing if those are the clearest wins that the hybrid tech gives.

The electric drive comes at the cost of weight. Reviewers say the NSX handles better than you'd expect for its weight and I don't doubt them. Even so, I'm reminded of the line, "I have some extra weight but I carry it well." That's nice, but some of us still prefer lean.

The looks of the new NSX aren't quite to my taste although the car has grown on me since I first saw pics of it. I don't doubt that it generates a lot of attention in person.

The new NSX is a decent car but Honda did not hit this one out of the ballpark. I think a lot of us expected more because we have seen how Honda can do some truly exceptional things. The first NSX was a game changer. The Hondajet HA-420 is built like no other plane in its class and it really performs. There were several false starts on the road to a new NSX and I have to wonder what it would've been like if all that R&D time had been spent on a single vision.

Fastaussie, you have pretty much bashed the car nonstop, why do you care what anyone who actually owns one has to say?
i'm rather indifferent to the new NSX. certainly not overly impressed, but i don't hate it either.in public and at car meets around where i live in L.A. i haven't witnessed much enthusiasm for the new car. most people i've encountered much prefer the old car.here on Prime we've all seen emotions range from the car being the best thing ever created in the universe, to extreme disappointment in its performance and gestation period. i'm curious to hear who likes it, who doesn't, and why...

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. i don't know why Prime today is screwing up all the spacing and format on (at least my) posts?

p.s. i don't know why Prime today is screwing up all the spacing and format on (at least my) posts?
There are 2 bugs I am running into constantly now. 1. When I attempt to quote it sometimes locks up the page for up to a minute. 2. My paragraph breaks get ignored but not always.

I've had my car for 4 weeks as a daily driver and have pushed it only in spirited drivings in city and highway. I think the gen 2 is a fantastic piece of machinery and a worthy NSX successor. The instantaneous response/handling/braking puts a smile on my face every time I take the car out - much like my '91.

Caveat that I do not want a track-centric car. I want a 'super' car that I can drive everyday, much like my '91, without worrying about outrageous maintenance, potholes, high mileage on the odometer, etc. I will track the car occasionally. This car has met my expectations, and exceeded them in may ways.

My minor complains are 1) the Sport mode is too sedate. I wish there was a mode between Sport/Sport+ 2) I feel the steering is too light - even in Sport+. But I also have this complaint in many modern sports car (like my 997).

There are some members here (well, actually one ;)) who relentlessly put the car down, before having personally driven it or understanding that not everyone wants a performance-at-all-cost car. I don't get why it is so difficult to understand. In my opinion, Honda has kept the spirit and goal of the original NSX.

There are some members here (well, actually one ;)) who relentlessly put the car down, before having personally driven it or understanding that not everyone wants a performance-at-all-cost car. I don't get why it is so difficult to understand. In my opinion, Honda has kept the spirit and goal of the original NSX.

Precisely. The 570S is waiting for him otherwise and I'm sure Honda will have a direct answer for that too.

I believe people who were on the market for a proper GT, better than a Bentley or AMG Mercedes, will be delighted. I could see myself driving thousands of km across Europe in one of these.

No wife, and i travel light :D . I already have gone on NSXCE tour with my full luggage and there was plenty of room, even with my track helmet in there. Even better i've seen couples go on NSXCE tour with luggage all fitting into the boot (since passenger seat was occupied obviously).

Last edited:
Back