• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX service maintenance in SF/San Jose area

Searched a bit and couldn't find recommendations for shops to service/maintain an NSX in the San Francisco-San Jose area. Can anyone point me to this info or recommend a shop.

I'm 2.5 years into rebuilding a totaled '03. A shop did the body work. A friend and I put the car back together, and it was a very enjoyable experience.

At a minimum, all wheels need alignment, AC needs to be recharged, fluids... There is also a reasonable chance that 'mistakes were made' during the rebuild. I'm looking for a mechanic to inspect and correct any flaws.

Regards

Does anyone know a good, friendly and honesty mechanic in Sacramento besides Neillo dealer? Please give the several options. I want somewhere closer to where I live (Chico)

It is 1.5hr drive from Sac.

Thank you

Thanks very much. I've got a follow up question on seat upgrading. The surfaces of the drivers seat bolsters are kind of shot. Do the aftermarket leather seat covers work.

Regards

You're welcome! The leatherseats.com covers work but if you want them to look nice take them to a good upholstery shop to have them installed, otherwise you may not be happy with the results.

Choice Auto did my NSX time belt and water pump, sway bar & end links and a few other stuff.

Solid work and cheaper than these "NSX speciality shops"

He's in your 'hood

620 Grape Avenue
Sunnyvale, CA 94087-1078
(408) 749-1422

owner is Charlie.

He's also worked on my RX7 and GTO and my brother's RX8 and I've seen another NSX there.

Thanks very much. I've got a follow up question on seat upgrading. The surfaces of the drivers seat bolsters are kind of shot. Do the aftermarket leather seat covers work.

Regards

I had these guys do my RX7 seats with ultra leather and ultra suede for that updated look you see on modern cars:

San Leandro Auto Upholstery
14110 Washington Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94578-3325
(510) 483-7841‎

seats7.jpg

seats4.jpg

seats5.jpg

seats3.jpg

per my request I had rear pockets for both seats made.

seats6.jpg

What's nice about the polyester synthetic leather is that the materials were cheaper than leather and there is no maintenance.

On top of that the suede holds you to the seat instead of sliding around.

I spent $50~ for materials and the labor was $400 for both seats (fabrication and installation).

So if I want the NSX ivory seats covered in blk leather and suede like ur car below it will cost me about $450 :confused:
If so thats a really good deal and I will go there this weekend. Thanks

I had these guys do my RX7 seats with ultra leather and ultra suede for that updated look you see on modern cars:

San Leandro Auto Upholstery
14110 Washington Avenue, San Leandro, CA 94578-3325
(510) 483-7841‎

seats7.jpg

seats4.jpg

seats5.jpg

seats3.jpg

per my request I had rear pockets for both seats made.

seats6.jpg

What's nice about the polyester synthetic leather is that the materials were cheaper than leather and there is no maintenance.

On top of that the suede holds you to the seat instead of sliding around.

I spent $50~ for materials and the labor was $400 for both seats (fabrication and installation).

So if I want the NSX ivory seats covered in blk leather and suede like ur car below it will cost me about $450 :confused:
If so thats a really good deal and I will go there this weekend. Thanks

That is the price that I paid for about 4~ years ago. It might be a little higher since there is a shoulder bolster, but can't imagine it to be that much higher if that.

I bought the materials from Ebay.

Make sure u get the heavier grade that is for this application, not clothes.

Another nice thing about the ultra-leather and suede is that is breathes, but is not waterproof (ie- spill beer, cocktails, etc.).

We service NSXs also and we are located in Campbell, CA. If you ever need anything please let us know and we'll be happy to take care of you.

Last edited:
We service NSXs also and we are located in Campbell, CA. If you ever need anything please let us know and we'll be happy to take care of you.

I've been over to visit Mike at TPS and was impressed with the scope and quality of their work.

Mike,

Can you pm me and tell me how much a 93 oem clutch would run me and how much labor cost would be?

also another estimate for tb/wp?

thanks!

Dom Portwood: Hi, Peter. What's happening? We need to talk about your TPS reports.
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. The coversheet. I know, I know. Uh, Bill talked to me about it.
Dom Portwood: Yeah. Did you get that memo?
Peter Gibbons: Yeah. I got the memo. And I understand the policy. And the problem is just that I forgot the one time. And I've already taken care of it so it's not even really a problem anymore.
Dom Portwood: Ah! Yeah. It's just we're putting new coversheets on all the TPS reports before they go out now. So if you could go ahead and try to remember to do that from now on, that'd be great. All right!

Hilltop is excellent. If you want an option that's closer to Sunnyvale, Foreign Affair in Santa Clara also works on a lot of NSXs.

Foreign Affair did the 60K, Timing Belt, Water Pump, and Coolant Hoses in the '94 a few months back. They also did the 150K, Radiator, and Coolant Hoses in my Legend last year. I've been pretty happy with them. They seem to have the attention to detail that most shops lack.

For Hilltop, if you go there, make sure that Don himself does the work. I've had problems when he lets the kids he hired work on my car.

Last edited:
For Hilltop, if you go there, make sure that Don himself does the work. I've had problems when he lets the kids he hired work on my car.

Ben,

I might be mistaken, but I believe that you are the same person who has posted many messages similar to this one for the past few years. As a result, I finally feel the need to respond.

I had a chat with Don. Your experience is based on many many years ago when Don had just opened his shop. As soon as he saw your feedback, Don has let go of the kids & has been hiring experienced mechanics only. I hope that people can be a bit forgiving & understand that Don has grown & learned how to run his business better. After all, he's only a human being. Even though he is a perfectionist, he cannot be absolutely perfect 100% of the time! We all have room for improvements. Don has been in business for 12 years now & he takes what he does as a passion. Thanks!

Ben,

I might be mistaken, but I believe that you are the same person who has posted many messages similar to this one for the past few years. As a result, I finally feel the need to respond.

I had a chat with Don. Your experience is based on many many years ago when Don had just opened his shop. As soon as he saw your feedback, Don has let go of the kids & has been hiring experienced mechanics only. I hope that people can be a bit forgiving & understand that Don has grown & learned how to run his business better. After all, he's only a human being. Even though he is a perfectionist, he cannot be absolutely perfect 100% of the time! We all have room for improvements. Don has been in business for 12 years now & he takes what he does as a passion. Thanks!

I have no doubt in the abilities and passion of Don himself. He used to work on my cars exclusively, and I never had a problem when Don himself worked on the cars - when he did, it actually was absolutely perfect 100% of the time. As of late, however, I've heard from multiple people that Don no longer does any work himself. That said, I would be interested to hear from those with recent experience at Hilltop when Don's employees rather than Don has done the work. Visiting Don was up to an hour drive for me. If Don is doing the work, it's worth it. Other than that, Don is a hard act to beat, and I'm genuinely curious if his employees have reached Don's level of skill and attention to detail over the past few years.

That said, I would be interested to hear from those with recent experience at Hilltop when Don's employees rather than Don has done the work.

I recently had my clutch replaced and an aftermarket flywheel installed. Also, the car was aligned. All work done at Hilltop.

Was the work done by Don himself or an employee? I don't know. Is the work of excellent quality at a reasonable price? Yes, certainly.

Am I asking questions and answering them?

Mike,

Can you pm me and tell me how much a 93 oem clutch would run me and how much labor cost would be?

also another estimate for tb/wp?

thanks!

Hey Jimbo I actually have talked to mike and he has a great "customer reman" type service with using your old stuff to make a more performance based clutch. I really wanted to give it a try but just change out my old one and can't justify spending another 2k+ on another install. I asked around to some other groups I know and the clutches they make are legit. :smile:

Back