• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Trunk struts (gas springs): $49/pr New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ordered both glass & trunk struts Friday night, arrived Tuesday and just finished the install Thursday. So far so good, hope they last for a while. The glass struts are a better fit than the trunk struts. The only thing that I don't like about the trunk struts is that the plastic electrical clip does not fit back on the new struts without cutting, but I knew about that before I bought them and I can live with that. You should have the same disclaimer on atomic mall as you do here on prime. Instruction manual helped. You really have to push up on the glass/trunk to install the new struts, they seem to be a little bit taller than the original, which can be a good thing. Great price; price of both glass and trunk struts (including S&H) is cheaper that just trunk struts from dealer. Thanks.

I'm glad they worked ok for you. The info about the barrel length actually is posted on Atomicmall.com, but it's in the ad for the trunk struts only. You may have ordered from the combo ad, which doesn't mention it. Good catch, and I'll be sure to add that.

As for the hatch struts, I think they are very close to the oem length, but may be just a hair longer. I do know they are quite a bit shorter than the SOS stainless struts, and I had a HECK of a time installing those when I purchased them a few years ago. These GSB struts were an easy drop in, at least with my '91.

Thanks again for the order!

Last edited:
Do you have both sets? Window and Trunk? I will order both sets if you do.

Not mentioning that the plastic clip will not fit in your instruction sheet was a big problem for me. If you are going to sell a replacement part, it should accommodate all the same items as the original.

I want to share my experience with my recent purchase of these trunk struts.

First, Appeal-NSX has been nothing but a gentleman. I want to make sure everybody understands this. My experience with these trunk struts is only based upon my observations when I went to install them. Based upon the responses from everyone else on this Thread, I am clearly in the minority here. It seems like nobody has had any issue with the struts whatsoever except for me. Please keep this in mind as you read on.

Okay, I ordered a set of the trunk struts and received them in just a few short days. I was extremely pleased with how quickly I received them.

When I went to install the trunk struts, I did not (and absolutely do not) feel they are the proper application for a NSX Trunk Lid. They are not like the factory struts! The factory struts have a pivoting Rod Bearing at the top of the strut where it attaches to the trunk lid. I believe the OEM design allows a little wiggle room for the truck lid to move should it bind in anyway while closing. The replacement struts I received do not have any type of pivoting Rod Bearing on the top. Instead, they have a solid, flat metal extension with a hole drilled through it. This is where they attach to the trunk lid.

I went to install the right trunk strut first since I couldn't seem to figure out a way to make the left strut wire look factory. My hope was to install the right strut first and learn from it before installing the left strut.

When I installed my trunk strut on the right side, it went in without any problem whatsoever. Super easy install just like the seller represents. The instructions made it very simple to install!

After installing the right strut, and prior to closing the trunk, I took a close look and noticed that due to the fact that the replacement strut had no pivoting Rod Bearing, the top of the strut came dangerously close to hitting the trunk lid bracket and side of the trunk above the fender. The angle at the top of the replacement strut did not look right. It was not linear to the trunk lid bracket and just looked like a problem waiting to happen. In fact, it was so close I didn't want to take a chance on scratching anything so I immediately removed it and put my factory strut back on.

Just to ensure I am being clear in my explanation, the factory strut has this pivoting Rod Bearing at the top so the trunk will not bind if it is ever closed off center or the factory strut were to bind. The "pivot" Rod Bearing provides the factory strut with some "wiggle" room if the trunk lid were ever to get off center. These replacement struts do not allow this wiggle room. Instead, they have a solid piece of metal with a hole in it. The trunk lid bolts onto the top of the strut and there is no margin for error. If it does not line up perfectly, I believe some scratching would occur.

Anyways, my struts were still brand new, still in the original wrapping with the original instructions, so I packaged them up and returned them with a request for a PayPal refund. Two weeks passed and I didn't hear anything so I e-mailed NSX-Appeal to see if he received them. He responded immediately and denied my refund based upon the fact that his ad states, "no refunds."

NSX-Appeal is absolutely correct...the ad does state, "no refunds." I accept full responsibility for missing this when I ordered them. However, my 2000 NSX has very low miles and does not have a scratch or mark anywhere on it. I just didn't want to take a chance with these struts as they lined up so close to my trunk lid that I was afraid to close it to see if they worked. The savings between these struts and OEM struts just isn't enough to justify the risk to me!

Since the struts were still new I believed a refund would be in order, minus shipping of course. Again, at the time I didn't realize the statement "no refunds" was in the ad. I guess being a fellow Primer carries no weight (lol)!

Today, I requested NSX-Appeal return my struts to me at my cost. When I receive them, I would be happy to send them to anyone who wants them. You can put them on your NSX, and if you are comfortable with the angle in which they mount, pay me 50% of what they cost plus shipping. So, if you are willing to take a chance, you can have them for $25 plus $8 shipping.

Again, I want to be perfectly clear, I have no complaints with the transaction. I simply did not feel comfortable putting these struts on my one and only NSX and take a chance, regardless of how small, that they could scratch the paint or worse if they were to bind!

I realize it is impossible to make everyone happy when selling custom items like this. I do not blame NSX-Appeal for his position on my refund, or lack thereof. Just be careful and make sure you are willing to take the chance that I was not! You certainly will not get a refund if you are not satisfied!

Thanks Sam.

I have received 14 PM's from fellow Primer's regarding my post. Of these, most agree taking a chance on a non-OEM part is not worth it the risk; especially when it has to do with a large moving part like the trunk lid.

Three Primer's advised they installed their struts with no issue. Two told me they ordered the struts but didn't install them upon recieving them for the exact same reason as me.

Interestingly, almost every response stated something to the affect that a refund was in order. Many thought Customer Support is the main reason for supporting a Prime Vendor. This is definately something other Vendors may want to pay close attention to!

Even more surprising, I received a response from only one Primer who wants to take me up on my offer to sell my struts at 1/2 price. I thought more would be interested.

I agree with Rob.

Will be purchasing OEM trunk struts soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back