• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Upgraded

Thats good to know. With aftermarket ECU's handling launch control, traction control, and almost everything else I might venture into that route. Honestly, I never really liked ABS. I find it modulates traction exactly at the wrong time for me. The Stoptech's equipped with the car are pretty good, but I feel like there might be a mismatch with the OEM master cylinder in pedal feel. Also, they squeek like crazy so I'm going to change the pads soon. The brake pad dust is prodigious. BTW, I really like your CE28N's color. I'm not sure I can place it?

Kindest Regards,

Mark

I felt like you about ABS until I raced on wet tracks against Porsche GT3's.
You stand absolutely no chance to slow the car like they do!
Your brake pads are probably some "race" version.
If you don't track the car, get some road pads and the noise will disappear but maybe not the dust...
As for the color of my CE 28's, I can't say as I had them repainted supposedly as the OEM color and that's how they came out?
BTW, I hope you are going to go for an OEM clutch?
I have the Comptech powergrip2 that works fine ( no shudder) but it requires a lot more leg muscle.
Gone is the Honda Civic feel...

K.R.
John

If I had to make one recommendation would be to go with the 2002 ABS system.
I did it the cheap way with an S 2000 ABS modulator and the wiring harness from @Kaz-kzukNA1.
I've used it on the track in the rain and it's unbelievable!
It will not only save your car but maybe your life...

Thats good to know. With aftermarket ECU's handling launch control, traction control, and almost everything else I might venture into that route. Honestly, I never really liked ABS. I find it modulates traction exactly at the wrong time for me. The Stoptech's equipped with the car are pretty good, but I feel like there might be a mismatch with the OEM master cylinder in pedal feel. Also, they squeek like crazy so I'm going to change the pads soon. The brake pad dust is prodigious. BTW, I really like your CE28N's color. I'm not sure I can place it?

Kindest Regards,

Mark

I felt like you about ABS until I raced on wet tracks against Porsche GT3's.
You stand absolutely no chance to slow the car like they do!
Your brake pads are probably some "race" version.
If you don't track the car, get some road pads and the noise will disappear but maybe not the dust...
As for the color of my CE 28's, I can't say as I had them repainted supposedly as the OEM color and that's how they came out?
BTW, I hope you are going to go for an OEM clutch?
I have the Comptech powergrip2 that works fine ( no shudder) but it requires a lot more leg muscle.
Gone is the Honda Civic feel...

K.R.
John
I thought I hated ABS until 1 too many panic stops and one too many flat spots on new tires ($400-500 down the drain). 2000+ ABS is a great mod. Get rid of the shitty TCS in our cars but upgrade to 00+ ABS. My ABS upgrade has likely paid for itself a few times over in saved front tires. For non-aggresive street driving this is likely not an issue except for wet weather panic stops
+100 for new ABS

Last edited:
I thought I hated ABS until 1 too many panic stops and one too many flat spots on new tires ($400-500 down the drain). 2000+ ABS is a great mod. Get rid of the shitty TCS in our cars but upgrade to 00+ ABS. My ABS upgrade has likely paid for itself a few times over in saved front tires. For non-aggresive street driving this is likely not an issue except for wet weather panic stops
+100 for new ABS

Exactly what does it take to upgrade. I'm guessing the ABS module and ECU? Now am curious.

Exactly what does it take to upgrade. I'm guessing the ABS module and ECU? Now am curious.

You can buy the complete NA2 ABS kit from ScienceofSpeed ( https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...em/scienceofspeed-na2-abs-system-upgrade.html)
Another option is the semi-diy by buying an S2000 first gen modulator ( typically around 100$), all the NA2 brake lines and the wiring harness from [MENTION=25737]Kaz-kzukNA1[/MENTION] who is the technical secretary of the NSXCB forum.
He provided me with all information required including email help to get it to work.
A great saving considering that the NA2 modulator alone costs at least 1K$!

AS Motorsports or SOS has the full kit for sale. Because these are important safety items I've avoided units that weren't designed for the car but some owners use the S2000 and other Honda units to save money. I'm not convinced they're the same but I haven't looked into it extensively.

It saves a decent amount of weight and space in the front too. Also still works great with BBKs.

You can buy the complete NA2 ABS kit from ScienceofSpeed ( https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...em/scienceofspeed-na2-abs-system-upgrade.html)
Another option is the semi-diy by buying an S2000 first gen modulator ( typically around 100$), all the NA2 brake lines and the wiring harness from @Kaz-kzukNA1 who is the technical secretary of the NSXCB forum.
He provided me with all information required including email help to get it to work.
A great saving considering that the NA2 modulator alone costs at least 1K$!

Thanks for the info guys. This may well be an upgrade worth pursuing. I will have to do the requisite research. I know there are a few companies making a brake bias adjustable modulator that is also programmable for intensity regarding activation. I also have an S2000 and while I love the brakes, the ABS is on par with most cars of that era.

Interesting fact! ABS was originally designed for the military and airline industry to avoid costly tire changes on planes landing. They would often flat spot tires due to short runways.

Quick update. I installed a Mugen III steering wheel, and an NSX-R steering boss plus installation kit from Marc at the NSXShop. I cannot say I loved the NA1 steering wheels looks. I am also not sure I wanted an unactivated airbag and electrics from a 1992 NSX sitting in front of my face. :eek:

As you can see from the pictures the kit had a photo installation manual, soft fabric gloves, plastic gloves, wiring and resistor for the SRS warning light, horn wiring, graphite or copper paste for contact base, zip ties, crimpers, and a "Kusakai" pen. I'm not sure who Ksakai is but they apparently take fuzzy pictures of the NSX, and in a vague step by step way show you how to do installation of JDM Type-R parts onto your NSX. I will have to to a google search.

I found the whole installation kit a reminder of why I love JDM and OEM parts. They leave nothing to chance. I also received three extra steering wheel mount screws which I thought was a mistake until I stripped two of them. They were super soft.

Anyways, the installation is pretty straight forward with most of the time spent on tapping into the SRS connection so the warning light does not activate, and the horn button works.

I boxed away all of the OEM parts including the ticking time bomb airbag away for prosperity. In the process I was able to discern this NA1 was left untouched for decades. The amount of dust and the virgin screws removed were in great shape. The only panel I found that did not look good was the one directly under the steering wheel that also surrounds the main ignition switch. I will re-glue the leather and also order a new one as I found an almost failing tab.

It got dark really quickly so I did not have time for a picture but the steering wheel feel is great! My s2000 has an FG-360 which is 10 mm in circumference bigger than this. At 350 mm it feels pretty perfect. I'll make a post with better shots that aren't in the dark.

The Mugen wheel, (made by MOMO) is superb. The leather is soft, but has that nice firmness without any tackiness i've felt on some other steering wheels. The red stitching is a nice touch and should go well with the Recaro Pole position I am putting in along with the updated door cards Rick at Euroboutique is doing.

I also received the Type R short shifter, shift Boot, and Type S knob from Marc. I'll be installing that tomorrow along with cleaning and re-lubricating the shifter and linkage.

This last one made me laugh. mail to: [email protected] ? :confused: 'm guessing the Tochigi factory was maybe more of a "party" spot than I would have guessed. Given what it says on every climate control unit maybe this shouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
The suspension I decided on was an Ohlins coilover from Sakebomb Garage. ....My coilovers should be finished being built in a few weeks. I will give a full review then.....

Hello Scalm
How's it going? I am curious if you ever got your Ohlins from SGB. Can you give us your feedback and impressions? Thanks. :)

Just cruised through your thread. I am loving your quality part selections so far, keep it up and welcome to the community! Any sound clips with your saclam header and exhaust set up?

I also ordered these thanks to Matt at ICB Motorsports. They are the Type R NA1 rear tail lights. They are slightly darker than the US version, and of course have the Red Honda type R emblem.
I'm always curious as why the JDM does this. It would seem to me that having multiple versions of the same parts would not be cost effective. But what do I know. Regardless, I always prefer their parts to the USDM versions. Maybe it's because the grass is always greener.

Hi, very cool build. Just got my 92 weeks ago, my tail lights has some separation on the top, water getting in after wash. Is your original taillight available? Thanks.

Back