• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX v. C32 AMG

I do not know there, but here the RS6 costs 78k$ and it is available at every dealer.

About the fact that it is a notch slower than the MB I am not very sure. I think they are very close and most german magazine measured this. In some case the RS6 won, in other didn't.

Incidentally, some would say that a car is not a true sports sedan unless it is available with a manual transmission...

Blue Knight said:
may i ask what other 4-door sports sedan can get that performance for less than 80 large ones? and please don't say M5.....

Why not? (Other than the fact that production has ended)

The M5 is a little slower in a straight line, but it is still the choice of many in that segment. Put a stock M5, E55 and RS6 on a road course and you will see the shortcomings of the larger, heavier uber sedans.

nsxtasy said:
You miss my point. I really do not think that an $80K car represents the best value on the sports sedan market. I think the E46 M3, at $49-55K, is a much better value than an E55 AMG. Heck, I think you can even make a case that the new TL is a better value still, at $33K fully loaded, many thousands less than the competition in its class (3-series, G35, ES300, etc) on an apples-to-apples basis. That doesn't mean it's the best sports sedan around. But it can easily be a better sports sedan for the buck than a car that costs over twice as much.

oh, i agree totally...i should've been clear with my intended question....

what i wanted to know is what same class, same performance, same reputation, same prestige 4-door sports sedans are out there that rivals the E55 with a similar price tag.

no doubt the M3, M5, TL (6-speed at 5.7 sec 0-60mph as tested by automobile...sweet) are nice for the price but for someone that is looking into the E55 with all those attributes mentioned, what other car is out there???

i own a 98 c43 mercedes w 302 hp, and i just got rid of my zanardi nsx. the zanardi was way quicker 1/4 mile but on the over 100 run the c43 was neck to neck. thats on a 302 hp car not a 349 like the superchared v6 is. bottom line is nothing can touch the new mercedes, and nsx although hella fast w a small 6 needs to step up w their new gen. car.

i know many AMG models changed specs from 2003 and on.....E55 as one of them. SC was proven to be a good route for MBZ....

i knew someone would say that......:D

but that's nowhere near the class and the prestige....

I have an 02 C32. I think it would fair pretty well against the NSX. Though many tests have been slower, the fastest magazine test of the C32 was Autocar 0-60 4.6 1/4 mile 13.0@107MPH. My car has pulled away from late model Camaro Z28 V8s convincingly at highway speeds. Also, the owner of a very fast (runs close to 12 flat 1/4 mile), slightly modded 95 Viper RT/10 pulled only very slowly on the C32 at highway speeds. The Euro cars get RON set at 93 octane and US get it set at 91 octane. Perhaps that makes up for some of the difference in test results. My car will be adjusted to the Euro setting this week. From lower speeds a 3.2 NSX would be a good match for my C32. At highway speeds I might be able to get away from one. The C32 really shines over 80MPH.

Kevin

An after thought: these days any new car that says AMG on it can probably beat a stock NSX (C55, CL55, CL65, SL55, E55, SLK32, SLK55, S55). The current C32, CLK55 and previous gen E55 should be closest.

SLK 32 AMG vs Comptech S/C NSX
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/slk32... SC NSX.wmv

I'm curious as to how badly your stock NSXs beat cars like the current E500 and GS400/GS430. My GS400 is dead even with my brother's E500. But my C32 runs away from his MB.

Kevin

Last edited:
Psycnosis said:
700HP for 6k you can keep the class and prestige.

this is impressive and bang for the buck but nowhere near my original point....

i'm simply asking that for someone that is looking into buying an E55, what other options will he also be interested in?

i don't think this alternative would interest anyone that walks into a MB dealership and is seriously considering getting the E55

it'll save them lots of $$$ but i don't think these folks worry about $$$ too much......

for example, the E55 i saw a few weeks ago at a MB dealership came from a celebrity that traded it in for a newer one with navigation. i'm not sure if he'll be interested in a 700hp EVO instead....i would say prestige and class still play a big part in the decision....

That is true but there are people that have 2 ferraris and put 80k into there evo, a friend in FL did this I asked him why did he not get the MB? He said because he liked the way the evo felt and he can run pump gas in the car and make 500whp all day long and wanted something different. I would say other cars then the E55 there really are not any. I did drive the C32 and it was way faster then my NSX, and I am sure the E55 is faster then that. The MB stuff is nice but the new stuff is not made as well as the old I feel.

Blue Knight said:
this is impressive and bang for the buck but nowhere near my original point....

i'm simply asking that for someone that is looking into buying an E55, what other options will he also be interested in?

i don't think this alternative would interest anyone that walks into a MB dealership and is seriously considering getting the E55

it'll save them lots of $$$ but i don't think these folks worry about $$$ too much......

for example, the E55 i saw a few weeks ago at a MB dealership came from a celebrity that traded it in for a newer one with navigation. i'm not sure if he'll be interested in a 700hp EVO instead....i would say prestige and class still play a big part in the decision....

Does your 1st gear feel really short? When I test drove it to me is seems like it was almost too short.

Accomplice said:
An after thought: these days any new car that says AMG on it can probably beat a stock NSX (C55, CL55, CL65, SL55, E55, SLK32, SLK55, S55). The current C32, CLK55 and previous gen E55 should be closest.

SLK 32 AMG vs Comptech S/C NSX
http://www.virgeweb.com/rage2/slk32... SC NSX.wmv

I'm curious as to how badly your stock NSXs beat cars like the current E500 and GS400/GS430. My GS400 is dead even with my brother's E500. But my C32 runs away from his MB.

Kevin

Yes, I think the first gear is very short. The car is far from perfect. Its worst trait is that it has kind of a lumpy/ lurchy off-boost throttle response. I drove my old gs400 last night and the power delivery is so smooth and unstressed feeling by comparison. Much softer feeling car overall.

The AMG is a great car despite the couple of negatives. The C32 is going to the dealer to get the ECU switched to the 93 octane Euro setting. I'm hoping to get even more pep with that change. There is no other 4 door car from any luxury brand that matches its performance at the same or less price.

Kevin

Psycnosis said:
Does your 1st gear feel really short? When I test drove it to me is seems like it was almost too short.

If they switch the ECU from 93 octane to 91 (a guess) it should make less power because they would probably back off the timing more to compensate for the higher likelihood of detonation with the lower octane fuel.

That is what I thought when I test drove it. It's a very nice car and pretty small. have you checked out the Renntech stuff? Seems pretty nice. I may get a E55 in the next year or so but I am not going to pay over MSRP and no car is worth waiting for a year. :D

Accomplice said:
Yes, I think the first gear is very short. The car is far from perfect. Its worst trait is that it has kind of a lumpy/ lurchy off-boost throttle response. I drove my old gs400 last night and the power delivery is so smooth and unstressed feeling by comparison. Much softer feeling car overall.

The AMG is a great car despite the couple of negatives. The C32 is going to the dealer to get the ECU switched to the 93 octane Euro setting. I'm hoping to get even more pep with that change. There is no other 4 door car from any luxury brand that matches its performance at the same or less price.

Kevin

in our area, the typical wait time is around 3-6 months with no markup....just asked a few weeks ago when i visited a MB dealer.
he had a used one with about 7k miles and it sold in a few days...blue/blue...very nice color combo.

One of the MB tuners, if not more, Brabus IIRC, offers an E500 with the E55 blower.

Autoweek called it the E55 MB should have built, since they think the E55 is a tank, albeit a very fast one.

I wanted the new E55 but the car will lose $1,000 a month in value for the next 2-3 years. I said this 6 weeks ago when the cheapest new E55 in the US was $78K. Now the cheapest one is $75. You should be able to pick one up with 20K miles for around $60K in a little over a year. I have about 28 months of warranty left on the C32. As soon as the passage of time and or the increasing mileage takes me towards the end of the warranty period I plan to jump to an E55.

Kevin

Psycnosis said:
That is what I thought when I test drove it. It's a very nice car and pretty small. have you checked out the Renntech stuff? Seems pretty nice. I may get a E55 in the next year or so but I am not going to pay over MSRP and no car is worth waiting for a year. :D

60k would be a good deal plus I am sure the bugs would be worked out as well as MB knowing how to fix the car.

Accomplice said:
I wanted the new E55 but the car will lose $1,000 a month in value for the next 2-3 years. I said this 6 weeks ago when the cheapest new E55 in the US was $78K. Now the cheapest one is $75. You should be able to pick one up with 20K miles for around $60K in a little over a year. I have about 28 months of warranty left on the C32. As soon as the passage of time and or the increasing mileage takes me towards the end of the warranty period I plan to jump to an E55.

Kevin

Back