• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs M5

NsXMas said:
Jlindy, what's your other car?

Is there no way to keep both cars if your other car is practical? I have 4 vehicles, one for Monday, one for Tuesday... ;)

Actually our 3 Hondas and one SUV is very nice for any occasion. 4 cars sure beats just one, no matter how nice that one car is. It's great to have back up cars for availability.

Regarding the M5, I drove it last year and I love it. I don't think I'd trade my NSX for it, but I don't think you can go wrong with it either.

Cheers.

I have three cars. The one I gave to my wife to drive is the Mercedes ML320 that is used as the baby transport, grocery getter, etc. I have the NSX for pleasure and an 03 accord that I drive for work. Yes it is practical, but the whole purpose was to consolidate and have one real nice car instead of a decent accord and the NSX. I pay extra for insurance and the personal property tax on the NSX was as much as the ML320 for some reason.

I drove a new M5 on the track for 2 days straight about a year ago and almost traded my NSX for one. The car was a BLAST to drive...and that power. WOAH!! It felt like I could change the rotation of the Earth with it. The E39 M5 is one car that I will eventually own.

jlindy said:
I have three cars. The one I gave to my wife to drive is the Mercedes ML320 that is used as the baby transport, grocery getter, etc. I have the NSX for pleasure and an 03 accord that I drive for work. Yes it is practical, but the whole purpose was to consolidate and have one real nice car instead of a decent accord and the NSX. I pay extra for insurance and the personal property tax on the NSX was as much as the ML320 for some reason.
I know what you mean. My taxes on the cars are relatively low, and insurance is pretty good because I'm married and have a little one also.

I'm sure you'd enjoy the M5. You can always buy another NSX when you feel the time is right.

Have you given any thought to the 2005 Cadillac CTS-V with the Z06 engine. You can pick up a 2005 with a warranty for under 40k. The performance is very impressive and repairs would be a lot more reasonable after the warranty expires.

My wife and I are expecting our first child and I have given it some thought as well.

The M5 is the ultimate family sedan

I have owned my M5 for almost 5 years, which is an eternity for me. I have not found another sport sedan good enough to make me sell it. However, it looks like the new V10 M5 will finally dethrone my trusty 2000.

It is the best overall car I have ever owned. It truly does everything extremely well. You will not regret getting an e39 M5, especially considering they are now available on the resale market for half their original price. A used M5 is an exceptional bargain.

Good luck with your decision.

Re: The M5 is the ultimate family sedan

CerberusM5 said:
It truly does everything extremely well. .

Everything except driving in the snow. :wink:

CerberusM5 said:
You will not regret getting an e39 M5, especially considering they are now available on the resale market for half their original price. A used M5 is an exceptional bargain.

You can get a 2000 for 30K?

I thought this was an interesting review over at the M5 board.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46638

M5 VERSUS FERRARI F 40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got my M5 in 2001 black/black luxury. Wanted to get a new one, but they were all sold out. I really hate the new Bangled up look, so I wanted to get a classic M5 before it was too late. am a big M fan, and already have an M3.

As promised, I can now give you some feedback on the car, as it compares to my Ferrari F40 and Maranello, as well as my Carrera.

To give some good news right upfront, I was VERY impressed with the car. It surpassed my expectations. I thought it was a heavy big, car..... It is a great driver car. I love romping on fast back roads. (being in New York/ CT, my personal track is the Taconic with no traffic, of course. Those from here will understand.....) I track other cars, so I won't abuse the M5 on the track.

1. First of all from the outside, it is a beautiful car. As beautiful as the best designs from BMW and top luxury sport designs. As it gets older, the M5 is gaining a timeless classic look, including the wheels ( I believe BMW designs the best looking stock/factory wheels, head to head with the Ferrari wheels).

2. From the inside, I feel very "with the car" in the M5. Great seats, steering wheel, controls etc. I guess we all feel at "home" in the M cars. The driver position is easy and confortable on the BMW. The dash's simplicity is as beautiful as the one in the original design of my Carrera. Unfortunately that BMW simple german fighter plane look is now all gone with the arrival of the Bangle " designer furniture" interiors. The Maranello inside tells you that you are driving an italian muscle car, with the huge hood seen from the steering wheel and the beautiful hump of the air intake projecting towards the nose of the car, while you are inside. The M5, instead, is very similar to the F40; very simple dashboard, you do not see much of the hood at all, so you can concentrate on the road and its surface.

3. On the road, the best two things are 1) the handling and 2) the M engine. The car stays flat and planted, with not that much lean at all. Very impressive for such a big car. Those who think the car is heavy and does not handle will be surprised by how great it is to drive fast, with its direct responsiveness. The engine has got great torque and a great mix of typical M engine sound and V8 character. But it revs out very nicely. I would say that regardless of actual power output, the M5 engine is as exciting and engaging as the F40 engine and the Maranello's. The F40 is airplane-like, with its whoosh and take off/flaming/popping of the waste gate, the Maranello's engine is a great clockwork of wizzing and sizzling, spinning inner gears, the M5 an iron fist in a velvet glove.

4. The least liked things are: !) shifter 2) brakes . The shifter is OK but certainly not as great as the Maranello' shifter ( the best gearbox of all the cars I have driven in my life, a pleasure in itself). My M3 shifter is more precise, smooth and a pleasure to use than the M5. Only the Carrera shifter is worse. When cold, I literally have a hard time in going from 1st into 2nd. After a mile, or so, then the oil/syncros warm up and it goes in fine. The service manager tells the usual: they are all like that....
Is that really true?

The brakes are ok, but seem to make an effort to slow down the car, with a bit of rumble/noise, which may be perfectly ok because the car is so smooth,quiet. The hard work of the pads when coming down at speed is heard quite brutally as you rapidly reduce speed. By the way, in terms of aerodynamics, BMW has done a great job, you can hear only the air swhooshing at speed and at 130-140 mph the car tracks very smoothly and straight as an arrow.

The best brakes of course are the F40's, with the Maranello a strong second. I love the "direct" race feel of the F40's no booster brakes ( A lot of effort, but amazing fine control, which is key when trail braking).

Finally, on fit and finish, the M5 is almost as good as the Maranello, especially the interior, the details of the full leather applications, and quality of controls, trim, accessories of the M5 are a work of art.

In sum:A wonderful, fast, elegant, supercar. I believe it is "a Ferrari with 4 doors". BMW should take it as I compliment, especially given that have two Ferraris, I am Italian and love driving fast, on the track or the road, all the time.

Thanks for you wonderful help with this amazing site. Much appreciated your advice and shared passion.

See you on the road ....

NEW YORK CITY

2001 M5 black/black/lux
1990 Ferrari F40
2000 Ferrari Maranello black
1984 Carrera black
1996 M3 Cosmos Black
Crappy Range Rover HSE to go to dealers and buy parts

various R1's, Honda Fireblade, Honda NSR 250 Sport Production racing bike, Ducati 996 SPS

SoCalDude said:

M5 VERSUS FERRARI F 40

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I finally got my M5 in 2001 black/black luxury. Wanted to get a new one, but they were all sold out. I really hate the new Bangled up look, so I wanted to get a classic M5 before it was too late. am a big M fan, and already have an M3.

As promised, I can now give you some feedback on the car, as it compares to my Ferrari F40 and Maranello, as well as my Carrera.

To give some good news right upfront, I was VERY impressed with the car. It surpassed my expectations. I thought it was a heavy big, car..... It is a great driver car. I love romping on fast back roads. (being in New York/ CT, my personal track is the Taconic with no traffic, of course. Those from here will understand.....) I track other cars, so I won't abuse the M5 on the track.

1. First of all from the outside, it is a beautiful car. As beautiful as the best designs from BMW and top luxury sport designs. As it gets older, the M5 is gaining a timeless classic look, including the wheels ( I believe BMW designs the best looking stock/factory wheels, head to head with the Ferrari wheels).

2. From the inside, I feel very "with the car" in the M5. Great seats, steering wheel, controls etc. I guess we all feel at "home" in the M cars. The driver position is easy and confortable on the BMW. The dash's simplicity is as beautiful as the one in the original design of my Carrera. Unfortunately that BMW simple german fighter plane look is now all gone with the arrival of the Bangle " designer furniture" interiors. The Maranello inside tells you that you are driving an italian muscle car, with the huge hood seen from the steering wheel and the beautiful hump of the air intake projecting towards the nose of the car, while you are inside. The M5, instead, is very similar to the F40; very simple dashboard, you do not see much of the hood at all, so you can concentrate on the road and its surface.

3. On the road, the best two things are 1) the handling and 2) the M engine. The car stays flat and planted, with not that much lean at all. Very impressive for such a big car. Those who think the car is heavy and does not handle will be surprised by how great it is to drive fast, with its direct responsiveness. The engine has got great torque and a great mix of typical M engine sound and V8 character. But it revs out very nicely. I would say that regardless of actual power output, the M5 engine is as exciting and engaging as the F40 engine and the Maranello's. The F40 is airplane-like, with its whoosh and take off/flaming/popping of the waste gate, the Maranello's engine is a great clockwork of wizzing and sizzling, spinning inner gears, the M5 an iron fist in a velvet glove.

4. The least liked things are: !) shifter 2) brakes . The shifter is OK but certainly not as great as the Maranello' shifter ( the best gearbox of all the cars I have driven in my life, a pleasure in itself). My M3 shifter is more precise, smooth and a pleasure to use than the M5. Only the Carrera shifter is worse. When cold, I literally have a hard time in going from 1st into 2nd. After a mile, or so, then the oil/syncros warm up and it goes in fine. The service manager tells the usual: they are all like that....
Is that really true?

The brakes are ok, but seem to make an effort to slow down the car, with a bit of rumble/noise, which may be perfectly ok because the car is so smooth,quiet. The hard work of the pads when coming down at speed is heard quite brutally as you rapidly reduce speed. By the way, in terms of aerodynamics, BMW has done a great job, you can hear only the air swhooshing at speed and at 130-140 mph the car tracks very smoothly and straight as an arrow.

The best brakes of course are the F40's, with the Maranello a strong second. I love the "direct" race feel of the F40's no booster brakes ( A lot of effort, but amazing fine control, which is key when trail braking).

Finally, on fit and finish, the M5 is almost as good as the Maranello, especially the interior, the details of the full leather applications, and quality of controls, trim, accessories of the M5 are a work of art.

In sum:A wonderful, fast, elegant, supercar. I believe it is "a Ferrari with 4 doors". BMW should take it as I compliment, especially given that have two Ferraris, I am Italian and love driving fast, on the track or the road, all the time.

Thanks for you wonderful help with this amazing site. Much appreciated your advice and shared passion.

See you on the road ....

NEW YORK CITY

2001 M5 black/black/lux
1990 Ferrari F40
2000 Ferrari Maranello black
1984 Carrera black
1996 M3 Cosmos Black
Crappy Range Rover HSE to go to dealers and buy parts

various R1's, Honda Fireblade, Honda NSR 250 Sport Production racing bike, Ducati 996 SPS

Great find. Thanks. It makes it hard not to want a M5, but this guy obviously has plenty of money if anything should ever go wrong. :smile:

TigerNSX said:
A close friend of mine owned a 96 NSX, and sold his NSX for 2002 M5 for the similar reason that you have presented.

He said that his M5 had lots of electric glitches, and he had to be very careful with how he used his clutch. Nevertheless, he is very happy with the decision. M5 is already a fun car to drive on the street. He certainly misses the NSX, but as you have already mentioned, they are oranges and apples.

Hey Tiger ... is this me?!!! :)

I had the black 740 when i met you! then had a 96 black NSX which I sold for a 2002 Carbon Black M5, sold that and re bought another 95 NSX (red) which is now supercharged (pics in the FI forums)

I miss my M5 again though and I'm thinking of getting one to replace my current CLK 430 daily driver!

Kevin

jlindy said:
Great find. Thanks. It makes it hard not to want a M5, but this guy obviously has plenty of money if anything should ever go wrong. :smile:
There are cars out there with extended warranty's. Just need to be patient and on the look out. A great used car is a fun pursuit. Good luck!

I echo the above comments almost 100%! I bought the 9th to last 2003 M5 available in Southern California (after checking out the e60, mind you), and it's been a great car! Loved the NSX, and made good friends in the club, but having a dedicated race/ track car and kids meant that the NSX was driven very little and the big tow vehicle became the daily driver which was not much fun.

The E39 M5 with a good driver can keep up with most any sports car through the canyons or even on the track. We took the M5 to Pahrump once during a Dali track event, and had a great time….Ill let some of the other forum members who were present that day tell you how the M5 can embarrass just about anything on the track!

Anyway, m5board.com is the biggest online community for M5 owners. I would consider only 2001-up M5’s as that was the only year of really meaningful changes and bug-fixes. The biggest “issue” with the M5 is the weak clutch, which can now be replaced with an aftermarket solution:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/V8/index.htm

The next issue is that the M5 understeers big time at the limit. 90% of M5 owners never see this, as the limits cannot easily be seen on the street, but if you like to go to a track events every once in awhile, you will want front camber plates and a bigger rear swaybar (the camber plates help control outside edge front tire wear if you are an aggressive driver).

I am happy with the stock brakes - the E39 M5 is one of the fastest stopping 4-door sedans made. You really only need to upgrade if you want the bling or you are going endurance racing. We had no brake fade being one of the fastest "A" group cars at Pahrump for 30 minutes at a time with the stock brakes.

Also, some people complain that the M5 shifter is too tall..there are lots of aftermarket short shift kits avlaible.

Other than that, the e39 M5 is about as close to perfect as it comes….while there are more powerful sedans out there now in terms of HP, there is no 4-door sedan on the planet IMHO that can touch the M5 for a pure driving experience.

Still, comparing the NSX to the M5 is still a bit of an “apples vs oranges” comparison. One must consider their personal situation and personal priorities when trying to decide between the two….

Good luck with your decision and let us know what you decide!

Last edited:
ktan said:
Hey Tiger ... is this me?!!! :)

I had the black 740 when i met you! then had a 96 black NSX which I sold for a 2002 Carbon Black M5, sold that and re bought another 95 NSX (red) which is now supercharged (pics in the FI forums)

I miss my M5 again though and I'm thinking of getting one to replace my current CLK 430 daily driver!

Kevin

Hey, Kevin,

No, it is my other friend. However, I do remember you from the 7 series forum at Roadfly. I also remember that you traded in your both 7 series and NSX for M5, right?

Wow, you came back (what a crazy NSX you have now)!!! Good to hear from you.

jlindy said:
Call me if you'd liek to chat about the M5 vs. the 550 vs. the Porsche vs. the NSX. Sold both my Ferrari 550, and the Porsche. Kept the 2000 M5 and the 2002 NSX...pm me for deatils, or call my cell (954-895-9305), be glad to give you feedback. best of luck deciding.

SoCalDude said:
M5 VERSUS FERRARI F 40
This guy has REALLY captured the M5, very nicely done and well thought out. Having had a 550 as well, I have to agree with this review. The M5 defies it's weight, it is really a sports car!

serialNSXer said:
Call me if you'd liek to chat about the M5 vs. the 550 vs. the Porsche vs. the NSX. Sold both my Ferrari 550, and the Porsche. Kept the 2000 M5 and the 2002 NSX...pm me for deatils, or call my cell (954-895-9305), be glad to give you feedback. best of luck deciding.

sent PM

btw, i have seen 2001's go for high 30's/low 40's.

In my dream garage the M5 is going be my Q ship :wink:

I am also one of the few here that have both an NSX('97) and M5('02). Bottom line-both cars make me smile everytime I drive them and that's what it's all about. I disagree with most others here in that I would give up my NSX for the M5 if only one car was an option.

No problems at all and going on 3 years ownership. The car likes oil though!! Plan on a quart every 1500-2000miles or less.

Winter driving is no problem with Dunlop M3 winter sport shoes. Don't believe that 4 wheel drive/front wheel drive baloney, it's mostly in the tires on the car-no comprimising all-season threads on my M5!

I have a deposit on the E60 M5 but am thinking of buying my current M5 off the lease. I'm not big on the SMG tranny. Drove a E55 AMG-GET THE M5!!

Good Luck!!

i'm definately the 'odd duck' here, but i bought the jag xjr and havent looked back. (04 xjr). new alum construction with 400 hp/tq makes for a really nice rocket sedan.

not quite bmw handling, but closer than you might think. (and much better than the several mercedes i drove).

Good choice on the M5. If you're going to buy a BMW, then it must be a M series. When you're driving an M5, you get status, respect, and of course..enjoyment.

It sounds like your priority is a 4 door car for the family, then M5 is the best choice based on your need.

A friend of mine just bought a 2001 or 2002 M5, and he loves it everyday...

Oh....i think the new body style is so sexyyyyyy...

I'm not sure as to what I want to do. I keep reading about VANOS issues with the M5 that is now not covered by warranty. I'm not even sure exactly what it is, but it is thousands of dollars to fix. I read about a guy with a 2000 M5 is on his third clutch which scares me as well. I absolutely would not get one that wasn't certified with a warranty. I could do a 2004-2005 M3, but have heard so much about the M5 that I am torn.

jlindy,

Go for an '02-'03 M5 with lower mileage and extended warranty. My car has been great, no rattles, etc.. Heck you only go for oil changes every 15,000 miles and BMW covers it.

I went to an Acura special event showing of the new RL and drove it along with an A6, E320 and a TL. When I got back into my M5 to leave I thought to myself that I would be crazy to give this car up for any of those!! The car is a rocket with great handling and a BLAST to drive!!

GO GET THE BIMMER!!

I just got back from test driving a 2005 530i and 545i. I liked them, but was not that impressed, especially since the 545i has 325 HP and good performance numbers. It just didn't feel that fast and seemed a little loose in the turns and was surprised is was not that fun to drive. Now it didn't have the sport option which gives it better wheels and suspension, but wasn't anywhere near what I expected it would be. The idrive is interesting and seems a little confusing/distracting when driving, but I could probably get the hang of it.

I really think I want a used M5 after driving the 545i, but then again I haven't driven the M5 yet and there aren't many in St. Louis. Those damn repairs make me nervous though, so I'll have to get a CPO vehicle. I really hope the M5 is a lot more fun to drive because my NSX was a million times more fun than the 545. :confused: It makes me want to keep what I have.

jgtcnsx said:
im a coupe guy. i would buy a sedan as a daily driver. i must say my favorite sedans are the 525i. not for peroformance reasons, i just think they look very nice and priced pretty good.
i was looking for an M5 and had made an offer on a 2002 M5
(rejected) when i ran into the fellow who convinced me to go for a ride in his NSX. then i bought it!

basically - i thought the M5 was a perfect sedan. but i thought the NSX
was the most fun i have ever had in a car including some blindingly
fast porsches.

i went for the fun. you only live once . NSX = greater fun/dollar ratio
than the M5 or M3 for that matter.

I drove an M5 for a brief ride. I was really not very impressed with the power. I was expecting a lot more. I am sure I would enjoy it more if I had a better drive where I could open it up and hit some corners.

Back