• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX vs. MR2 Turbo

Hi guys...my first thread here. I have been in the market for an NSX for some time. I currently own 4 MR2s, 3 are turbos and 2 are well over 300 hp. I do love the MR2 and have worked on them for over 20 years! But I really want an NSX also, I've been researching them for years now... and I recently had a chance to drive one. It was a 92 all stock, black on black 80,000 miles. My first impressions of the car? I will start with the cons...there's only 2 :) 1. In stock form the NSx is much slower than I thought it would be. I was kinda underwhelmed. :( But that can be taken care of. 2. The manual steering seems awfully heavy on the NSX. Its kind of a pain in a parking lot. The MR2 manual steering almost feels powered compared to the NSX. Now for the NSX pros. I love the body styling..thats a give me. The longer wheel base is also a plus. The NSX transmission is awesome (much smoother than the MR2). And handling is great!
I really do not want to start a debate between the MR2 and the NSX because I really love both cars. But I only drove the NSX for roughly 20 minutes.. so I would really love to hear from a few of you guys that has owned both cars. Your pros and cons. Thanks Mike

I owned 5 different MR2's in the 90's; one of my all-time favorite cars! Of the MR2's I owned at different times, 3 Turbo, ('91, 2 different '93's),
2 non-turbo, ('91, '92). Great little car. In my opinion, the '91-'95 MR2 has a lot of NSX similarities. Even the non-turbo was a fun car to drive when
I beat the crap out of it. The last MR2 I owned, ('93 Turbo), I traded for a '91 NSX; simply because I saw the NSX as a step up; (which it is).

There were a couple cons in regards to the MR2's: (based on my experience).
The suspension became very soft / squishy even though the mileage was quite low
The turbo MR2 has zero sound at WOT; rather boring.

other than that, I will always have an affinity for the 91-95 MR2.

Funny this conversation came up. I was talking to some of the HI NSX guys a week ago and they asked if I would ever sell my NSX. I said yes if the price was right and my replacement would be a Turbo MR2 because of price and availability while still being "weird" enough for me (weird = mid engine Japanese).

Granted, was watching Barret Jackson today and saw a great 1971 Pantera sell for $40K which would catapult to the top if I found one.

I always loved the MR2, although I'm not sure it is any comparison to an NSX. Nice examples of the Turbo seemed to have disappeared. I went to trade my almost new 1996 Talon TSI/AWD in on one, but was low balled everywhere and wound up keeping it.

I always loved the MR2, although I'm not sure it is any comparison to an NSX. Nice examples of the Turbo seemed to have disappeared. I went to trade my almost new 1996 Talon TSI/AWD in on one, but was low balled everywhere and wound up keeping it.

Why wouldn't an MR2 be a comparison? They are both mid engine Japanese sports cars. If an NSX is really on a different level then an MR2 give me the reasons. Thats why I started this thread. Like I said I only drove the NSX for 20 minutes or so but to me they are a very similar car.

MR2s ride quality is terrible (struts front and rear) vs the NSXs upper & lower A-arms all around (which is better for performance and ride quality, is a lot more expensive and advanced, and the NSX has unique aluminum arms that rival any super exotic today).

Why wouldn't an MR2 be a comparison? They are both mid engine Japanese sports cars. If an NSX is really on a different level then an MR2 give me the reasons. Thats why I started this thread. Like I said I only drove the NSX for 20 minutes or so but to me they are a very similar car.

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/96325-Acura-NSX-vs-Toyota-MR2-Mk2

Some good reading for ya! As I said the MR2 Turbo is a "fun and sporty" car, the NSX is an out and out sports car. As I stated, two different animals.

I will agree the NSX does handle well...And I have researched NSX suspension extensively. So I have to agree with you on that. But as for the MR2 ride quality being "terrible" I disagree. Maybe if you ride in a ricer MR2 with it slammed on the ground hellaflush style then I can see it riding terrible. All my MR2s ride great and handle great.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.mr2.com/forums/threads/96325-Acura-NSX-vs-Toyota-MR2-Mk2

Some good reading for ya! As I said the MR2 Turbo is a "fun and sporty" car, the NSX is an out and out sports car. As I stated, two different animals.

Thanks...I read that some time ago. :) Like I said I am not here to debate witch car is better. I would hope for the price the NSX would be light years better. I just didnt get that from my test drive of the NSX. Thats why Im asking quwstions. I love the car

Aside from country of origin and engine layout they are nothing alike. The suspension on the MR2 is from a corolla and the interior is very budget minded. It was, and is, an amazing car for the money. However, the time spent on the interior, aluminum chassis and suspension on the NSX is as much as Honda could muster at the time. Much of what Toyota could do went into the Supra. With that said, dollar for dollar it is hard to beat a turbo, mid-engine Japanese car for $5-10k.

Well...the reason Im about to buy an NSX is because I want an up grade from the MR2. I looked at a few 93 and 94 Supras also (i use to own a 94 supra turbp)...but i really want a mid engine car. I love the layout. And I think I could be very content with an NSX As long as I can get a reliable 380 to 400 hp out of it. As for the MR2 having a corrola suspension yes they do share some components..(as Toyota and Lexus does with many of their parts)but the MR2 was its own platform so the suspension is a different layout.

Last edited:
Granted, was watching Barrett Jackson today and saw a great 1971 Pantera sell for $40K which would catapult to the top if I found one.

if i didn't buy it before you! :biggrin:

sick cars, so cool...

Well...the reason Im about to buy an NSX is because I want an up grade from the MR2. I looked at a few 93 and 94 Supras also...but i really want a mid engine car. I love the layout. And I think I could be very content with an NSX As long as I can get a reliable 380 to 400 hp out of it. As for the MR2 having a corrola suspension yes they do share some components..(as Toyota and Lexus does with many of their parts)but the MR2 was its own platform so the suspension is a different layout.

sounds like if you sold all your MR2's you could buy a decent NSX. :wink:

the NSX is definitely not about straight line speed. never was. you did drive one of the slower models though, the '92 had long spaced lower gears. 1995 and up had shorter gears 1 thru 3, and definitely accelerated through them quicker. 1995's and up also had an electronic assist on the steering, well worth it in every regard for a street car. they had lift roofs too, which made the car around 80 lbs. heavier. but for those awesome weather days, it becomes an entirely different car sans roof.

personally, having driven them all, i'd say get a '95 or newer. '97 had a 6-speed with a 3.2 engine. will you feel the extra 20 horsepower? nope.

i had a MR2 back in the day when i was a teenager. it was the NSX i could afford before i could afford a proper NSX. great car, but not at all comparable in any way.

my advice, get a clean stocker and enjoy it for what it is and was...

I've also owned 4 MR2s. My last one was a white 95 hardtop n/a that I swapped with a 3rd gen + bolt ons. Sold it to pick up my NSX and never looked back since.
attachment.php

Attachments

• tumblr_n2lubaVxnn1qlxf1to1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n2lubaVxnn1qlxf1to1_500.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 1,215
Last edited:
Nope...only sold one MR2. I think the problem im having is that im comparing my 93 modded MR2 turbo with about 340 hp to the wheels and upgraded suspension..to a bone stock NSX. But I know the NSX is a much better platform to start with! Im just trying to justify where the extra money is going in the NSX. So plese guys...tell me Im getting my moneys worth if I go ahead with the purchase of this NSX... 33 grand is a lot of money for a guy like me.

I am with fastaussie on this. If you need to have absolute strangers help you justify spending the extra money to acquire an NSX, you probably should not do it.

Also, if you are skint on the $, the on-going cost of maintaining a relatively mature NSX is not going to be cheap. You don't pick up replacement parts at your local automotive store.

The suspension on the MR2 is from a corolla

Learn something new everyday. Though I owned 5 different MR2's, I had no idea the suspension was from the corolla. wow............
Guess that would explain why it felt so squishy after 15k hard driven miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Nope...only sold one MR2. I think the problem im having is that im comparing my 93 modded MR2 turbo with about 340 hp to the wheels and upgraded suspension..to a bone stock NSX. But I know the NSX is a much better platform to start with! Im just trying to justify where the extra money is going in the NSX. So plese guys...tell me Im getting my moneys worth if I go ahead with the purchase of this NSX... 33 grand is a lot of money for a guy like me.

I think the problem im having is that im comparing my 93 modded MR2 turbo with about 340 hp to the wheels and upgraded suspension..to a bone stock NSX. But I know the NSX is a much better platform to start with! Im just trying to justify where the extra money is going in the NSX. So plese guys...tell me Im getting my moneys worth if I go ahead with the purchase of this NSX... 33 grand is a lot of money for a guy like me.

Mike,

Regardless of what you pay, (if you decide to buy an NSX), you should never have a problem getting your money back, if not more, should you decide to sell. "Are you getting your moneys worth".... . HECK YES! The NSX is not about how much power you are putting to the ground. It's about the whole experience of the car. I could go on and on for hours, if not days conveying my absolute affinity for the NSX in regards to the overall driving experience. As I previously mentioned, the MR2 is a terrific car which I also saw as my 'NSX'; (before I could afford an NSX). However, the MR2 is no NSX, regardless how much power an MR2 is putting to the ground. That's not the point.

It sounds as if your heart is seeking an NSX but your mind wants loads of power, (i.e.; a Supra). If you're looking for 400+hp out of an NSX and you want to spend $33K, in my humble opinion, the NSX is not the right car. If you have found an NSX for $33k, the first thing I would do is immediately ensure ALL Maint. is current; (Tires, brakes, calipers, all fluids, all seals and obviously TB, WP).
Adding forced induction is going to cost another $8k - 10k. Might want to consider what is most important and then make an informed decision.

my .02

We could compare all day this vs that and so on. It sounds to me the OP has his heart set on an NSX.
My advice is simple.
1) buy whatever NSX you can afford period.(you cannot go wrong)
2)modify the car however you want it...It is YOUR car.
3)build as much hp as you dare from the stock motor turbo or super.
4)Enjoy the heck out of it.
5)keep all of the stock parts
6)return it to stock and sell .... if you ever want to....which I doubt you will

I had a 93 turbo before I bought my NSX. Great little car, fun to drive. The NSX just has a different feel, more refined, engine sound so much more exciting. both great cars, similar in some ways but totally different, driving feel, overall dynamics of the car. If you think paying 35-40k for an NSX is too much than it's not the car for you, if I had a chance buy it all over again I would have bought a 99 NA2 for 45k a few years ago, instead I spent 35k on a 96, that's my only regret.

We could compare all day this vs that and so on. It sounds to me the OP has his heart set on an NSX.
My advice is simple.
1) buy whatever NSX you can afford period.(you cannot go wrong)
2)modify the car however you want it...It is YOUR car.
3)build as much hp as you dare from the stock motor turbo or super.
4)Enjoy the heck out of it.
5)keep all of the stock parts
6)return it to stock and sell .... if you ever want to....which I doubt you will

Best response yet! Thank you sir! I love your car too by the way!

- - - Updated - - -

I am with fastaussie on this. If you need to have absolute strangers help you justify spending the extra money to acquire an NSX, you probably should not do it.

Also, if you are skint on the $, the on-going cost of maintaining a relatively mature NSX is not going to be cheap. You don't pick up replacement parts at your local

automotive store.

Your absolute strangers that know the car...Am I correct??? Who else would I ask??? Ive done my research..so why not ask questions here also??? Maintaining the car I dont think will be a problem. I am a mechanic by trade..and from what ive read parts are not to crazy expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

The MR2 does not share the same suspension as the corolla.. Thats wrong info. They shared only a few components as I stated above. The MR2 had its own platform with a totally different layout for the suspension.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also owned 4 MR2s. My last one was a white 95 hardtop n/a that I swapped with a 3rd gen + bolt ons. Sold it to pick up my NSX and never looked back since.
attachment.php

Nice!!!!

Last edited:
Learn something new everyday. Though I owned 5 different MR2's, I had no idea the suspension was from the corolla. wow............
Guess that would explain why it felt so squishy after 15k hard driven miles.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike,

Regardless of what you pay, (if you decide to buy an NSX), you should never have a problem getting your money back, if not more, should you decide to sell. "Are you getting your moneys worth".... . HECK YES! The NSX is not about how much power you are putting to the ground. It's about the whole experience of the car. I could go on and on for hours, if not days conveying my absolute affinity for the NSX in regards to the overall driving experience. As I previously mentioned, the MR2 is a terrific car which I also saw as my 'NSX'; (before I could afford an NSX). However, the MR2 is no NSX, regardless how much power an MR2 is putting to the ground. That's not the point.

It sounds as if your heart is seeking an NSX but your mind wants loads of power, (i.e.; a Supra). If you're looking for 400+hp out of an NSX and you want to spend $33K, in my humble opinion, the NSX is not the right car. If you have found an NSX for $33k, the first thing I would do is immediately ensure ALL Maint. is current; (Tires, brakes, calipers, all fluids, all seals and obviously TB, WP).
Adding forced induction is going to cost another $8k - 10k. Might want to consider what is most important and then make an informed decision.

my .02
+1
The nsx costs a mint. Especially when modifying or upgrading.
Some things to consider,
A mr2 was built on a die and in a factory. The nsx was built painstakingly by hand by a Japanese artisan. They poured their heart and soul into these wonderful cars and until their dream sleeps in your garage, it is rather hard to fathom. There is no comparison here. The only comparison is that they were born in the same country and are mid
engine. Buy one, you know you want it.:biggrin:

I had a 91 MR2 before the NSX and it was a fine car. I was quite happy with it. Yeah, the NSX is better in most respects, but if I wasn't willing/able to spend what NSX costs I'd be delighted to have an MR2 again.

When I am able to have that barn filled with a bunch of cars that cool to me, the Mr2 Turbo will be there. It would be a great little car to drive around daily if I could find a good example.

Sure, I could be driving one $100K car but there is no fun it that. I'd rather have 3-5 cars that equal $100K with some character to them.

Mike,
You are comparing the best part of your MR2 to the worst part of the NSX, HP & TQ. If those two things top the list of your purchasing criteria you should not be shopping a stock NA1. I am a bit of a HP junky so I will give my past experience prior to purchasing a NSX.

Back in 1999 I owned a 420wheel Supra and had the pleasure of driving a 91 NSX for the day. By the end of the day I was short shifting the car because it felt so gutless to me versus my Supra that I didn't even want to rev it out. At the time my tastes were not very refined and acceleration was a top priority. Even knowing my speed bias, that day I spent with the NSX was the most fun I had had driving a car up to that point in my life. It took me a few years and a few different cars before I bought my first NSX. It was a NA1 and it was slow. That did not stop me from buying another one, NA2 SCed because I believe in the platform so much. It is truly one of the greatest cars ever made.

I think everyone has given reasons why the NSX is "better". Just to recap, interior layout, seating position, material quality, collect-ability, suspension tuning, build material, chassis design and ride quality. There is nothing, aside from HP&TQ, that the NSX does not have the MR2 covered in. If all those other reasons are not enough, the NSX is not the right car for you. BTW, a low boost SCer will make a NSX faster than your MR2.

Back