• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX Vs Porsche... AKA sold my NSX

After owning my 2000 NSX for only a year I traded it to my local Porsche dealer in Nov 2005. I bought the NSX with only 6K miles and in the year IO owned it I put BBS LM wheels on it, I installed an Eclipse AVN NAVI/Radio and I drove the car only 2K miles. I loved the NSX and if I could have put a large picture window into my garage I would have been content toi just sit and admire the classic and crisp lines.

I was nervous about getting a scratch or dent and I was always worried every time I parked it anywhere. So my reasoning was that I would trade it for a more "durable" sports car and I searched for months to find something I liked as much but that I would drive more often.

So in late November I traded the NSX (and got nearly what I paid for it a year earlier) to my local Porsche dealer for a 2005 911 Turbo S Cab. The 911 was much faster than the NSX and it seemed smaller and less delicate. The Porsche stickered for $157K so it was a far more expensive car...nonetheless, it wasn't more fun to drive and didn't seem to handle any better than the NSX.

The Porsche had all the options, including ceramic/composite brakes. Everyone kept asking me how I liked the great Porsche brakes and my response was that they don't seem any better than the other sports cars I've driven - especially the NSX.

After driving the 911 for about 700 miles over about 6 weeks I found it to be a very refined car that handled great and accelerated like a bullet. I would rate the 911 at around 10-20% better than the NSX in some respects. On the down side, the $100K+ 911 came from the factory with some small rattles and some annoying but small glitches. For example: some of the wording on control components (such as the temp control) are in German. The ODO reset at 1000 KM - not 1000 miles.

Anyway, I sold the 911 since I wasn't sure that it was worth anything near what I paid for it and I didn't want to get stuck with it. I now have a few NSX parts for sale (in the for sale forum). The NSX is a great car and I definitely believe that it's a very good value - especially when compared to much more expensive sports cars...

So...you sold/traded your ~$70,000 NSX that you were afraid to get tampered with...for a $157,000 Porsche...and you weren't afraid of THAT getting keyed or something? I'm just trying to understand this...I mean, I prefer the look of a NSX to a Porsche almost any day, but I'm comparing the price tags.

Thanks for sharing the comparison and your opinion. The Porsche 911 turbo is one of my favorite dream cars. Did you notice any turbo lag in the new one?

sunracer said:
Anyway, I sold the 911 since I wasn't sure that it was worth anything near what I paid for it and I didn't want to get stuck with it. I now have a few NSX parts for sale (in the for sale forum). The NSX is a great car and I definitely believe that it's a very good value - especially when compared to much more expensive sports cars...

you must have lost a huge sum of $$$ selling it after 6 wks.

I agree with the last post..what was he trying to do get sympathy..everyone knows that the last generation 996 TT was NOT a sports car but a GT..Anyway those are the most overpriced OLD technology dogs in existence and I can say that as I owned a 911 Turbo S....I bet he lost 30k selling the Porch.

And I personally like to thank sunny for reminding me how greatful some people sell their cars. I have friends that own things because of the items status not because it is better. :cool:

Sainara, Wot maber, Ayoo, Ciao, Görüsædæk, Khau bulyghyz, Tata, Kele mvae, Deew boz geno, Farvel, Tot ziens, See ya, Wiedersehen, Aloha, Slán agat, Sayonara, Achha, De kuday pa aman, Sat siri akal, Adjö, Chào ông,

DonPablow said:
Sainara, Wot maber, Ayoo, Ciao, Görüsædæk, Khau bulyghyz, Tata, Kele mvae, Deew boz geno, Farvel, Tot ziens, See ya, Wiedersehen, Aloha, Slán agat, Sayonara, Achha, De kuday pa aman, Sat siri akal, Adjö, Chào ông,

what the heck is that????:confused:

BTW, I am just astounded that the brakes of the NSX compare that favorably with the Porsche. I have always heard everyone sing the praises of that aspect of the car. Even if the acceleration wasn't sparkling, the brakes have always been top notch. Not to say the ones on the NSX aren't but just shocking that they are put in the same category.

92NSX said:
what the heck is that????:confused:

BTW, I am just astounded that the brakes of the NSX compare that favorably with the Porsche. I have always heard everyone sing the praises of that aspect of the car. Even if the acceleration wasn't sparkling, the brakes have always been top notch. Not to say the ones on the NSX aren't but just shocking that they are put in the same category.

The porsche ceramic brakes only really outshine on the track with heavy extended braking - no fade. But still the NSX brakes are pretty amazing especially when you look at the size of the calipers (puny) compared to the porsche's monstrous size

Thanks for sharing that info sunracer. You have saved some of us from buying a TT. I have had brake fade on the NSX but only after pushing it like crazy for some time. My rotors have turned to a nice bluish colour.

Thanks sunracer!! I was really thinking about a 911 TT cab. Not too hot on it now. May wait and see what the new 911 TT is like, but by then, hopefully I'll be ready for the new NSX!!!! Take care. So....do tell.....what's next for you?????:smile:

demigod said:
German one is off. It's Auf Wiedersehen.

Noone uses Auf Wiedersehen....

This is interesting. The brakes are the only thing I dont like on the NSX and the first thing I'm going to replace when I own one :). Porsche brakes on the other hand are like throwing an anchor out of the window. IMO the 996 Turbo is the best sportscar currently out there.

Klayton said:
Noone uses Auf Wiedersehen....

This is interesting. The brakes are the only thing I dont like on the NSX and the first thing I'm going to replace when I own one :). Porsche brakes on the other hand are like throwing an anchor out of the window. IMO the 996 Turbo is the best sportscar currently out there.

None uses proper German? Wie Shade...

wow.
I've been thinking to go to a 996TT after the NSX 996TT S in a cab was my dream but out of my budget. but after reading this ...hmmm... how bout GT3 ?? sounds great. 996tt aint the best sounding car.

or I was thinking a NSX 97+ T but theres only around 15 in OZ total.

NSXBOX said:
wow.
I've been thinking to go to a 996TT after the NSX 996TT S in a cab was my dream but out of my budget. but after reading this ...hmmm... how bout GT3 ?? sounds great. 996tt aint the best sounding car.

I dunno...sounds like the orig poster needs a VW or MB???

Porsche brakes (still brembo btw) are great!

The TT is an amazing package. The stock suspension is setup for retards (all modern porsches are). One really needs a proper coilover set on it. Also the sound is pretty muted stock - sounds like a vacuum on roids.

There are some great exhausts for it however, heres one of the best

NSXBOX said:
wow.

I'm new to the board and I just downsized out of a 996TT (2002 Coupe) to a 1991 NSX. I can say that the Porsche is vastly different in the following ways:

1) Acceleration -- hard to beat 415 lb/ft of torque and AWD
2) Braking -- four pot Brembos all-around
3) Technology -- Porsche Stability Management saved my bacon more than once

BUT, I like certain things about the NSX better as well

1) Steering Feedback
2) All that darn aluminum
3) Looks better, IMO

Just my $.02,
Scott

NSXBOX said:
wow.
I've been thinking to go to a 996TT after the NSX 996TT S in a cab was my dream but out of my budget. but after reading this ...hmmm... how bout GT3 ?? sounds great. 996tt aint the best sounding car...

Nico, Nico, Nico.... Hmmmmmmmm.

You won't get the attention you currently get in your NSX with ANY sort of Porch...

You have to own a car for a while to really have an opinion as to whether you like it better than another car, from an overall perspective. I'll bet that many nsxprime members would consider a 997 over their nsx with enough seat time.

Last edited:
I wont get too much into this but isn't a lot of this dream car vs. performance vs. preference?
Example: i have a buddy of mine with a M3, (2001) with the performance package (BMW) and about 15K MORE in go fast stuff. I think he says he is making about 350HP+ at the wheels. I have driven the car and this thing is a MONSTER !! It has been lowered, coil-overs, sway bars, you name it, I think he has it on this thing. Guess who wants to drive my 1991 NSX car ALL THE TIME !!! He says it is MORE fun than his M3.

I have driven in a Turbo Porche before and I was AMAZED BUT.... the NSX is my dream car. I wouldn't want the Porche even if I did have the money. I am probably the weird one... plus if I want to go REALLY fast I just get on my 130HP TL1000s motorcyle :biggrin:

my 2 cents

badtl1000s said:
the NSX is my dream car. I wouldn't want the Porche even if I did have the money. I am probably the weird one... plus if I want to go REALLY fast I just get on my 130HP TL1000s motorcyle :biggrin:

my 2 cents

AMEN :smile:

Same here the NSX is my dream car and your not the only weird one on prime. me too :biggrin:

Bear said:
You have to own a car for a while to really have an opinion as to whether you like it better than another car, from an overall perspective. I'll bet that many nsxprime members would consider a 997 over their nsx with enough seat time.

I would imagine the NSX would seem dated and rather slow compared to a 997 S. I have yet to drive one. I know I prefered my NSX to the 996 except the turbo. But, even the 120K 996 turbo has a terrible interior.

Back