• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX -vs- Who gives a $h!t...seriously stop these stupid threads

Read the name of this particular board folks. If you don't want to read about comparrisons, then stay off this one of many boards here.

Ongaku said:
Spot on BC. IMHO there is the NSX, and there is/are all else. If someone does not get that, too bad for them.

[snark]

Saleen, GT40: Sounds like contact solution. They are both still Fords.

[/snark]

The saleen s7 is hardly a ford, just has a ford power plant. In any case I wouldn't mind either of those fords.

As for the NSX vs XYZ car. They don't bother me but I think it depends on how intelligent the post is. As it has been stated potential buyers maybe looking at the NSX versus many other cars and want some owner feedback. These are intelligent posts.

Posts of, my shell of a turbo civic is way faster than your NSX etc are a waste of time, as I have said before anyone can make a car fast. All it takes is money...In a way though you shold read them as a compliment because they have bench marked their performance against the NSX. And ultimately which would you rather drive slower or not a civic or an NSX (I like civics btw, just not the super-rice ones)

Ongaku said:
GT40: They are both still Fords.

The GT40 is the car that finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd in the 1966 24 Hours of Lemans then went on to win the race the next 3 years. Pretty impressive if you ask me. The new car is the Ford GT. By the way the 245MPH Koenisegg CCR is powered by a Ford motor.

Regardless, theres only so much you can compare between two cars that are one in the same...

clr1024 said:
As for the NSX vs XYZ car. They don't bother me but I think it depends on how intelligent the post is. As it has been stated potential buyers maybe looking at the NSX versus many other cars and want some owner feedback. These are intelligent posts.

This goes back to my original post. If you are really serious about buying a car for X amount of money, why spend the time posting and instead go out and test drive the cars you are thinking about and then make a decision on your own? Why would you want to listen to anyone other than yourself? It is going to be your purchase and your car.

But threads like NSX vs (insert car here) does not really do anything for me. If the person that started the thread is not willing to go out and drive each car to make an educated purchase on their own, then they are really just wasting valuable space on this forum. There are some cases where owners have owned/drove both cars discussed that might add some value, but everything else are just opinions, some are often biased towards the NSX.

I have personal prefernces/bias towards certain cars. What I like may not be what you like.

I don't think I've ever purchased a car based on other people's opinions. I do my research on books, and then go test drive my choices, and then determine what car I like the most.

I still have friends that bash my NSX purchase, but I'm happy about it. If they had it their way, I would be driving something of German or Italian descent. It's my car, my money, I call the shots.

That is not to say we shouldn't have threads on car recommendations. Like this one:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70342

I wouldn't mind anyone posting something like, what should I get for my next sports car under $50K, and get member opinions on that. I find those threads useful, and expands the candidates of cars I'm considering.

No matter what, there are always going to be different opinions. This thread itself is a perfect example.

I also enjoy reading many of the comparisons on here. Nature abhors a vacuum, and the NSX does not exist in one, either.

Some of the comparisons I see are with cars that I was actually considering when I puchased my NSX, and others focus on cars that I may one day own. I find most of the posts and people on this forum to be mature and objective, compared to my previous experiences with other car forums, which further adds to the NSX Prime experience.

Some of my favorate posts here are well written, well thought out comparison threads.:)

im done

I really thought the reason people were on this site was for the common love FOR the NSX:redface: :frown: :rolleyes: ,
but...oh well, I'm through ranting:frown:

Re: im done

:rolleyes:
btcog82 said:
I really thought the reason people were on this site was for the common love FOR the NSX:redface: :frown: :rolleyes: ,
Yes, we all have the common love for the NSX but it does not mean that people don't have other cars that they appreciate. Having the NSX is not a commitment for life. The automotive world is producing more and more exciting cars everyday and people read about them and look at them. It is just natural that people compare what're out there and what they already own. With your reasoning, you might as well not read anything about cars and just be happy ever after with your NSX. For people that actually do love cars, they will read on, look on and buy on. There are tons of cars that I like besides the NSX which I have had a few. I myself am ready to move on to the HSC if Honda ever builds it. I am glad that you are done ranting this melodramatic big nothing.:rolleyes:
Steve

redshift said:
I really don't mind those kinds threads at all. After all, we probably all did the NSX vs XXX dance before we decided to become NSX owners.

Agreed. But I guess some folks here prefer we don't mention any other car than an NSX, unless its a slower car. Get real guys.

RyRy210 said:
But threads like NSX vs (insert car here) does not really do anything for me. If the person that started the thread is not willing to go out and drive each car to make an educated purchase on their own, then they are really just wasting valuable space on this forum. There are some cases where owners have owned/drove both cars discussed that might add some value, but everything else are just opinions, some are often biased towards the NSX.

I disagree, sometimes you may not have access to go test drive your car of choice, it may be hard to come by, far away etc. And asking questions on this site may help you decide if its worth the effort of making the effort to test drive the car. For example lets say you love all kinds of cars but love torque...well the NSX is not for you, maybe a viper, but you can ask those questions on mods etc, how much torque can you achieve, what budget. With these questions answere you may realize that car xyz is not for you.
Its a discussion forum, if you don't want to read those threads simply do not click on them, issue solved. :smile:

clr1024 said:
I disagree, sometimes you may not have access to go test drive your car of choice, it may be hard to come by, far away etc. And asking questions on this site may help you decide if its worth the effort of making the effort to test drive the car. For example lets say you love all kinds of cars but love torque...well the NSX is not for you, maybe a viper, but you can ask those questions on mods etc, how much torque can you achieve, what budget. With these questions answere you may realize that car xyz is not for you.
Its a discussion forum, if you don't want to read those threads simply do not click on them, issue solved. :smile:

Perfect example. I went through the EXACT same thing you posted. Trying to get a test drive in a Viper is next to impossible. I can totaly understand why. I bought my viper having never test driven one. I got a ride in one, but never had the oppurtunity to actualy drive one...many owners are rightfuly scared of letting anyone drive these monsters.

So what did I do? I asked alot of questions regarding Vipers here and on Viper forums...speficaly asking whether anyone has had experience with both. I was determined in buying one (I've been wanting one since a teenager). I made the jump and absolutely love it.

Re: im done

btcog82 said:

Yes, there are people that are not delusional and can admit to a car being better than the NSX and STILL LOVE THEIR NSX.

What an idea. :eek: :eek:

whiteNSXs said:
:rolleyes:
Yes, we all have the common love for the NSX but it does not mean that people don't have other cars that they appreciate. Having the NSX is not a commitment for life. The automotive world is producing more and more exciting cars everyday and people read about them and look at them. It is just natural that people compare what're out there and what they already own. With your reasoning, you might as well not read anything about cars and just be happy ever after with your NSX. For people that actually do love cars, they will read on, look on and buy on. There are tons of cars that I like besides the NSX which I have had a few. I myself am ready to move on to the HSC if Honda ever builds it. I am glad that you are done ranting this melodramatic big nothing.:rolleyes:
Steve

This guy gets it.
thumbup.gif

A lot of guys here are delussional to think the NSX is still the great cutting edge sports car it once was back in 1990. Times have changed and Honda decided to stop improving the NSX essentially after its introduction and the competition continued to improve and passed the NSX over a decade ago.

The NSX is a great car, but it is well past it's prime. There are so many options in the sports car world today and many of them better than NSX for the same or less money than the NSX, but many of you refuse to believe these cars exist. Fortunately, there are some here who live in reality and realize this.

I for one live in the real world, unlike a lot of you who live in a vacuum called NSX Prime.

Last edited:
AMGsRock said:
A lot of guys here are delussional to think the NSX is still the great cutting edge sports car it once was back in 1990. Times have changed and Honda decided to stop improving the NSX essentially after its introduction and the competition continued to improve and passed the NSX over a decade ago.

The NSX is a great car, but it is well past it's "Prime". There are so many options in the sports car world today and many of them better than NSX for the same or less money than the NSX, but many of you refuse to believe these cars that exist. Fortunately, there are some here who live in reality and realize this.

I live in the real world, unlike a lot of you who live in a vacuum called NSX Prime.

I don't think the NSX is past its prime, it is still a well design car that turns many a head today, what it lacks is the HP to win the numbers game with many cars that new to the market. Is it still better than most of the cars on the street? Yes it is. Would I pay 90K for one today...maybe but there is some stiff competition. However the NSX still seems to take the cake when compared to many cars today when it comes to reliability and that is huge in this market sector.

clr1024 said:
I don't think the NSX is past its prime, it is still a well design car that turns many a head today, what it lacks is the HP to win the numbers game with many cars that new to the market. Is it still better than most of the cars on the street? Yes it is. Would I pay 90K for one today...maybe but there is some stiff competition. However the NSX still seems to take the cake when compared to many cars today when it comes to reliability and that is huge in this market sector.

I agree in the reliability category, the NSX probably wins hands down versus the competition. However, most people who are spending $80k+ for a part-time used sports car is generally not too worried about repair costs.

However, I would guess that 90% of the people here are not the original owners of their NSXs, so they do not fit the above demographic and so reliabilty and maintenance cost was probably a factor in purchasing the NSX.

Back to reality, a new NSX was never worth $90k, today it is worth closer to $60k considering what you get from the new C6 Corvette Z06 for $65k.

AMGsRock said:
I agree in the reliability category, the NSX probably wins hands down versus the competition. However, most people who are spending $80k+ for a part-time used sports car is generally not too worried about repair costs.

However, I would guess that 90% of the people here are not the original owners of their NSXs, so they do not fit the above demographic and so reliabilty and maintenance cost was probably a factor in purchasing the NSX.

Back to reality, a new NSX was never worth $90k, today it is worth closer to $60k considering what you get from the new C6 Corvette Z06 for $65k.

First of, don't confuse reliability with maintenance, while they are related they are not the same. Reliability, assuredness that when I put the key in the ignition it is going to start and will run without leaving me stranded. Maintenance while a factor in reliability can be viewed seperately. Do I really want to spend $250 for an oil change? $6000+ for a clutch

These are big factors when considering buying a car, ongoing maintenance fees can add up significantly if considered wear items and are not covered by the warranty.

As for the NSX being worth 90k well that is in the wallet of the beholder. pros cons etc. Some may not want what they consider poor build quality of a C6 with just a more powerful motor and suspension tweaks and would trade for better build quality with less horsepower. Everyone weights the value of these things differently when considering cars. Hence why some people bought new NSXs in 05 when they could of picked from many other cars.

clr1024 said:
As for the NSX being worth 90k well that is in the wallet of the beholder. pros cons etc. Some may not want what they consider poor build quality of a C6 with just a more powerful motor and suspension tweaks and would trade for better build quality with less horsepower. Everyone weights the value of these things differently when considering cars. Hence why some people bought new NSXs in 05 when they could of picked from many other cars.

I agree with you here.

I for one would love to have a new C6 Z06 if I could afford one. That car is an absolute monster.

It's somewhere in between the two extremes of 'OMGTHENSXSTILLROX' and 'THENSXSUXITSOVERPRICEDPOS'

The reality is, the NSX is still a capable car and can keep up with some of the modern competition. But it's not the technological innovator it was in the 90s because, as stated previiously, Honda didnt persue improving upon it because they thought it wouldn't be a profitable endeavor. It certainly shouldn't be ignored though. I agree, at the $90k pricetag, the NSX seemed much less desireable, espcially when considering numbers only. But at used market prices, the NSX shines and for a 15 year old car, it can still get the job done, especially with the fairly wide aftermarket available.

Basically, you cannot brush the NSX off completely and label it as overpriced and inferior so casually. It has Japanese build quality and reliability with exotic looks, satisfactory straight line speed for a 1991 and impressive handling. At the same time, you cannot close your ears and eyes and refuse to acknowledge that there are better cars today and STILL have the same feelings for a car like the NSX. I realize this, and I am still looking for the perfect NSX.

I still enjoy the comparisons...if only to prove that the NSX holds up well against the current crop, especially as a pure driver's car. What I don't understand is how every other thread I read (including this one) mentions how Honda abandoned development on the car and left it as is. The engine, transmission, brakes, suspension, wheels, tires, mgt, ABS, pwr steering, body, interior, structure, etc have all changed over the span of the NSX production run. Not by leaps and bounds, but sometimes when you make radical changes to a working formula you can end up altering the dynamics of the car in a way which was unintended (best defense I can come up with for Honda :)). Having owned '91 and '97 models, IMO the difference is pretty significant...but yes you cannot compare the output of the car with a Viper, Z06, AMG, 997T. Anyone who questions the capabilities of these cars needs to watch the Best MOTORing with GanSan wheeling the NSX-R against the F-car, P-car, two lambos, and CSL. Kay...i'm done now :smile:

Back