• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

NSX with no garage?

Had no furniture. Slept on sleeping bag. Shared condo with friends. NSX in a climate controlled storage. Almost no body knew I had NSX. Good times!

If true you're one messed up man. But I applaud you. :biggrin:

Absolutely always park in the garage, with a cover monday thru Thursday. Pull the cover off friday morning, because weekend is play time. After spending hours cleaning and detailing, you can be sure I would not leave it out in the elements, just pull it in the garage, and the next morning it is clean, dry, and gorgeous, and ready to rip.

When I was younger and lived in NYC I quickly learned the value of a garage when my first car got peppered with door dings. Small yes, but they really bugged me. Fast forward to today and the only car that is parked outside is my hybrid with 180K. I specifically bought this as a outside car, DD. I spend so much time and money on my NSX (and 300zx) that it's just not worth the hassle to own them without a garage.

My advice to the OP is to wait to buy an NSX (or any other 'nice' car). There are so many more things to worry about in life and the safety of your car should not be one of them.

Last edited:
All it takes is one freak hail storm out of nowhere to ruin every last panel on the car.

Not to mention you don't want the sun constantly beating down on your interior.

I am not one of those guys that feel the car needs to be the classic garage queen that is never driven nor sees anything but absolute perfect weather. At bare minimum just pick up a storage unit. I keep my track car in one temporarily and it is relatively inexpensive and worth every penny for the peace of mind alone.

All it takes is one freak hail storm out of nowhere to ruin every last panel on the car.

Weird that you should mention freak hail storm, another Prime member just sent me this today to show what happened to one of his vehicles. Baseball sized hail. :eek:

haildamage.jpg

And out of the blue just now, I see this outside my office window. It was a perfectly clear day merely hours before. I think we may be in the middle of another haboob. :redface: I'm comforted by the fact that my NSXs are safely stowed inside my garage though.

Storm.jpg

Weird that you should mention freak hail storm, another Prime member just sent me this today to show what happened to one of his vehicles. Baseball sized hail. :eek:

Bingo. If there is anything I would be afraid of it is hail, it comes without warning and will ruin everything. When I use to live in a 1 garage townhome my ITR kept the garage spot and my E46 M3 sat outside (rightfully so) and one evening I was sitting on the couch watching TV and a storm came out of nowhere. Fortunately I was able to react within seconds and get a tarp out there and suspended like a drum skin so everything just bounced off it. Had I not been there, those golf balls from the sky would have caused some serious damage. So I've had a fear of hail since.

Rain? (that's a joke), Thieves? (nothing that I would consider an issue, but this is coming from an ITR owner)

I would ask around town an try to find a garage for rent. I rent two bays off an older lady for $25 dollars a month for each bay. Just do some searching Im sure you will be able to come up with something.

Where's the OP? I don't think he's been around since Jan. I wonder if he ever found the NSX he was looking for.

My opinion on this is really simple - life is full of the choices we make and as we get older our hearts become less easily swayed by instant gratification.

I did some crazy things when I was younger but I was lucky since my parents always supported me. All through college except for the 1st year, we had a 3 bedroom house with a 2-car garage.

It's hard for me to remember my 20's but judging by my taste in modifying cars, I had much to learn (too much rice back then). Believe it or not our priorities change as we get older.....

BUT..........our responsibilities also get greater so my advice is this:

a) If you can afford the car and don't mind it getting beat up a bit, buy it now because you may not be able to have time to play with it when you are older

b) Wait a few more years till you can buy a house....my priority is always house first, then cars (depreciating asset)

For me, it's easier for me to sleep at night knowing all my babies are stored away in my temperature controlled garage. The NSX always sits under the cover except weekend sunny days :)

2012-05-13_16-25-19_110.jpg

God can anyone make their own desisions around here lol

Hi, i got a job as an engineer at a drill company 8 months ago, i live in West Chester, PA. I live 2 miles down the street from where i work, its a nice area, higher class 'richer'. I pay $1,000 a month for rent :mad:, i live in a nice complex with lots of trees and small secluded parking areas that are far from the road. My personal parking area is a one way so there is no thru traffic. The only real way to get a garage is to get a morgage for a house, which isnt such a good idea in this market at a young age, i need to stay mobile and dont want to get stuck in a location. Is not having a garage a one way ticket to not owning an NSX? Or do you think its do-able. I understand the dangers of having it outside, but for example where i work there is no parking garage, we all park outside all day long. Here is a pic of my current spot i like to park in at my apartment for reference. Thats my 06 Tiburon which is paid off. I know alot of people in their low 20's own NSX's and ive heard of people who were 18-19 owning them, im not sure where they get access to a garage? Some things that i could do to protect it are, waxing every 3 months to protect from weather, and a car cover. Its worth mentioning that i have a $0 deductable for comprehensive/vandalism.

God can anyone make their own desisions around here lol

Give the kid a break. He has never owned an exotic car before, and there's nothing wrong with seeking opinions of those who have. We've all been there.

Also, decisions is spelled with a 'c'. I highly recommend switching to Chrome browser as it has a built-in spell checker.
icon_toppa.gif

I'm paying $150 a month for storing mine......just can't see leaving her outside in this new England weather

I'm paying $150 a month for storing mine......just can't see leaving her outside in this new England weather

Back in my single days I did the same...many years in a 10 by 20 metal box.The car deserves a roof over its roof.

I'm in the process of building a garage for my NSX. My neighbors think I'm crazy, as I've only owned my house for about 7 months, and I've been in the process of adding a 2,000 sq/ft addition for 3 of those months. Sometimes I don't know why I even bought the house, without a garage, in the first place, then I notice the wedding ring on my hand and go "oh yea, my wife liked it".

I'm in the process of building a garage for my NSX. My neighbors think I'm crazy, as I've only owned my house for about 7 months, and I've been in the process of adding a 2,000 sq/ft addition for 3 of those months. Sometimes I don't know why I even bought the house, without a garage, in the first place, then I notice the wedding ring on my hand and go "oh yea, my wife liked it".

Twice now we have bought the house of my wife's dreams and both times they came without garages...But we agreed to build the detached garage I desired as part of the decision/budget process.

Garage always...

+1. My 93 NSX has over 125k miles, but has been garaged her whole life, and people cannot believe the condition of the paint. I've seen much lower mileage cars that look beat because they've been parked outside and exposed to the elements.

Back