• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Nsxpo 2007

Sounds like an awesome idea! Who do we have in Montreal to put the proposal together? I can help with the proposal if someone else is taking the lead on it.

I too will get involved if a proposal moves forward. Having the event there would be the only way I can see myself attending NSXPO anytime soon!

That track is awesome, a true former mecca that almost no one who would attend would have ever seen before. It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for many.

Plus, the resort would be a riot.

I will definately get involved if a proposal moves forward.

Who's interested in being lead?

I think a proposal could easily be submitted. I mean there are a pile of activities we could suggest.

Let's see who else is interested in getting involved and once the team is in place I'm sure things will proceed. I think we'd need 5-10 people who truly wanted to help out to make it work.

1. Overall Coordinator
2. Track School Rep
3. Offsite Events Planner
4. Vendor & Speaker Rep
5. Accomodations
6. Promotions / Goodie bags etc.
7. On site events planner (meet & greet / Banquet etc)
8. Concourse & Poker Rally Coordinator.
9-10 General Help

SB

I'm in Ottawa, and would be interested in helping out, but I have so many projects on the go with now with my professional and volunteer organizations I don't think I'd be good for anybody :frown:

I absolutely want to help out - so put me on that list.

First step - lets get some copies of previously successful proposals and go from there.

I will put in that request unless I hear from someone that it has already been made. I will give it till 10:30 our time today before I make that request.

Ok,

We've got Three so far.

1. Sean Batte - me
2. Arshad
3. SPA 2000 (sorry I don't know your name yet)

Arshad - could you send out an email to the NSX Contact list Johnny made and direct them to this link to see if there's more interest.

I'll call a friend of mine who's up to Tremblant almost every week in the summer - driving and instructing for Porsche Canada (former NSX owner) and get his impressions on the idea. I know that the Ferrari club and Porsche clubs in the area have meets there all the time.

The downsides I can see are:

1. I dont believe that there are inexpensive hotels there. Its very resortish and some may have an issue booking a Hilton or the like. Not to say that a good rate cant be had, but its no Journeys end.

2. Parking could be an issue. The bulk of the parking at the Mountain is separated, by a large distance, from the bulk of the hotels. I believe that only one of the hotels has underground parking, and I am not sure if they would reserve it for 150 cars.

3. Driving roads are in less than pristine condition. THe track is in awesome shape, but the local roads are not.

4. The track is owned by an individual who is not necessarily accomodating to many types of events. Yes the Ferraris go there (he has ~30 of them and is active in that club) and yes the Pcars go there (he has close friends in that club I believe), but I believe that others do not go there anymore.

The biggest issue I see is parking and the track. I dont know of a back up track and the parking may be a deal breaker.

SPA_S2000 said:
First step - lets get some copies of previously successful proposals and go from there.
Send me a PM with your e-mail address, and I'll send you them.

SPA_S2000 said:
1. I dont believe that there are inexpensive hotels there. Its very resortish and some may have an issue booking a Hilton or the like. Not to say that a good rate cant be had, but its no Journeys end.
For the headquarters hotel, NSXPO has typically used properties in the 3-4 star category, such as Embassy Suites, Hilton, etc. Room rates have been in the USD120-150 range the past few years - not that a lower rate wouldn't be welcome, of course, but that will give you some idea of what would and wouldn't be out of line with recent experience.

Thanks Ken! Has there ever been an NSXPO in Canada before?

Sean: Yes, I'll do that

Dave: Since the track is probably the biggest deal-breaker, does you (or someone else) want to volunteer to first find out the possibility of getting it before we go much further?

Arshad said:
Thanks Ken! Has there ever been an NSXPO in Canada before?
No. However, with the cooperation of Honda of Canada, we have sent out mailings to all NSX owners on their database in the years when NSXPO has been reasonably close to the border (NSXPO '98 in Ohio, NSXPO 2001 in Wisconsin, I'm not sure about NSXPO 2004 in New York).

Arshad now has a copy of recent successful bids.

The track may be available but requires at least one year advance notice for scheduling. I'll make a couple of calls to see.

Some of the local instructors have already volunteered to help out with track instruction. I know we'll have some in attendance as well.

I'll check some hotel pricing just to get an idea of what it's like in September/October up there.

I would strongly suggest that we aim for an earlier month then October. Tremblant is usually a few degrees colder than Ottawa is, which is a few degrees colder then Toronto.

It would not be a shock to see some transient snow on the gound in late Oct at Tremblant. Early October may be too cold. Sept would be great with the colors and August may avoid some of the fall crowds and be a nice temperature.

SPA_S2000 said:
I would strongly suggest that we aim for an earlier month then October. Tremblant is usually a few degrees colder than Ottawa is, which is a few degrees colder then Toronto.

It would not be a shock to see some transient snow on the gound in late Oct at Tremblant. Early October may be too cold. Sept would be great with the colors and August may avoid some of the fall crowds and be a nice temperature.
You can find climatological information (what normal high temps are like, average number of days in each month with rain or snow, that sort of thing) for many Canadian locations on this website.

swbatte said:
The track may be available but requires at least one year advance notice for scheduling. I'll make a couple of calls to see.
Some of the local instructors have already volunteered to help out with track instruction. I know we'll have some in attendance as well.

I'll check some hotel pricing just to get an idea of what it's like in September/October up there.

Me.

More on the weather. Using Ken's recommendation, I looked at the weather at St Faustin, which is about 20km away from Tremblant.

It suggests:

Avg Temp: 17C in Aug, 12C in Sep and 5C in Oct
Daily Max: 22C, 17C, 10C
Daily Min: 11C, 6C, 1C

Precip
Rain: 110mm, 100mm, 95mm
Snow:0cm, 0cm, 3cm

Days with greater than 10C: 31, 27, 13
Days with greater than 20C: 26, 22, 6

I got them Arshad. I'll read them over and give the track a call.

I think early Sept would be great to. SB

I'm willing to help...Let me know what you want me to do.

Bram

swbatte said:
I think a proposal could easily be submitted. I mean there are a pile of activities we could suggest.

Let's see who else is interested in getting involved and once the team is in place I'm sure things will proceed. I think we'd need 5-10 people who truly wanted to help out to make it work.

1. Overall Coordinator
2. Track School Rep
3. Offsite Events Planner
4. Vendor & Speaker Rep
5. Accomodations
6. Promotions / Goodie bags etc.
7. On site events planner (meet & greet / Banquet etc)
8. Concourse & Poker Rally Coordinator.
9-10 General Help

SB

If the track looks good and this starts moving ahead, we should also leverage the experience and talent of our NE members who organized the NSXPO at Watkins Glen, ie Peter Mills, Larry Bastanza, Rich Hutte and Don Gallo.

I've got a call and email in at the track. They seemed receptive but are getting back to me in the next couple of days.

Ken sent me some stats for recent years that might help with the guesstimate for track activities. Track attendance numbers were:

2005: 38 students, 13 instructors (29 in autocross)
2004: 56 students, 21 instructors
2003: 90 students, 18 instructors
2002: 49 students, 12 instructors

Based on the '04 numbers (held in upstate NY), I think a guess of 75-100 track attendees is reasonable.

Back