• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OEM radio problem

Ive had my car for about two weeks now and everytime i go to change the volume for the radio there is this loud static noise. Does anyone know how i could fix this issue? :confused:

If the static is coming from the volume knob, the radio is going out. you can seach this issue. I'm on my 4th and just took that one out for an aftermarket HU. I'm done replacing it.

i had this.when the radio's off,turn the knob a lot.they will self clean to a small extent.i had mine sent out to willman's in tx,rec'd on prime.they made it about 80% better by cleaning the volume knob, so i was partially satisfied.

Go to Radio Shack and buy a small can of "Control/Contact Cleaner and Lubricant" P/N 64-4315 Remove the knob, spray down the shaft and with the radio OFF, reinstall the knob, rotate it rapidly back and forth. Repeat about 3 times.

I think it was about $8.00, will do 1000 radio knobs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clears this up very nicely:).

Regards,
LarryB

does the knob just pull off,or is there more to removing it?
thanks,larry

Definitely try contact cleaner. Dust in the potentiometer is causing an intermittent connection through the volume knob, leading to the static.

Definitely try contact cleaner. Dust in the potentiometer is causing an intermittent connection through the volume knob, leading to the static.

If you find one with a fine enough nozzle you could try spraying it in from around the knob. Worth it if the next step is a new head unit. Or just send it to briank and he'll refurbish the whole thing.

For future reference.

I PM'd Larry B regarding pulling off the knob, and if it just pulls off, or if something else is required, and he was kind enough to respond.

Apparently he just pulls the knob off!

Back