• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Official Philosophy Thread

Ski_Banker

Suspended
Post your thoughts, musings, etc.

Rene Descarte famously speculated "Cogito, ergo sum" [I think, therefore I am] in what has become the quintessential philosophical proof of being/consciousness/existence. This was on or about 1644.

He was wrong, and in a way with particular relevance to today's world. This is why I have come to Know this.

Descartes' proof necessarily requires communicative ability. That's what makes it a proof of consciousness; otherwise man is no different from the beast that thinks [of survival] every day. Further, communicative ability -written language here- necessitates having an audience, also with communicative ability. In plain english, had Descarte transcribed his thought in a language of only his own, the thought would not be known and thus he would not exist. Since I don't know Latin, I have corrected this proof in English.

"I think, therefore I am because you know this" - Me

I will later write how this is relevant to the current world, and how new paradigms on the horizon will have an understanding of this at the very core.

God bless and be Good. :smile:

Last edited:
Cheating on your wife, doing drugs, drinking-and-driving... might feel good, but, "Don't do it because it feels good, but do it because it's the right thing to do."

Jesus said, "I am the light, I am the way, I am the truth, and I am life. No one can get to the father without going through me."

"Action and faith enslave thought, both of them in order not be troubled or inconvenienced by reflection, criticism, and doubt."

Henri Frederic Amiel
1821 - 1881

Not exactly philosophy, but two Good quotes nonetheless (really! :tongue:). Both from the movie Wall Street.

"So the falcons heard the falconer" -- HARNESSING NATURE'S POWER :wink:

"When I get a hold of the son of a bitch who leaked this, I'm gonna tear his eyeballs out and I'm gonna suck his f--king skull!" :eek::biggrin:

Last edited:
Edited, Hal. I'm all for keeping it PG too. :tongue:

A few more...

Realtor - "Everybody tells you they hate the upper East Side. They wanna live on the West Side. But believe me, when it's resale time, the East Side moves all the time. I mean what do you got on the West Side? Sean and Madonna?"

Gekko - "What's worth doing is worth doing for money."

Bud Fox - "Life all comes down to a few moments. This is one of them."

:smile:

If it flys, floats, or f**ks, its cheaper to rent by the hour.

Unknown

Any pilot can fly an airplane, it takes a really good pilot to get out flying an airplane.

As I sit and type this, I was suppose to fly to DFW & back. I got displaced by crew scheduling because they downsized the plane and am sitting at home pay protected for the trip. I'm a really good pilot. :)

You can not have a cheeseburger.
cute_kittenp.jpg

Any pilot can fly an airplane, it takes a really good pilot to get out flying an airplane.

As I sit and type this, I was suppose to fly to DFW & back. I got displaced by crew scheduling because they downsized the plane and am sitting at home pay protected for the trip. I'm a really good pilot. :)
man, you **are** good!

Back