• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oi! Any punk fans out there?

I'm definitely a heavy listener of the genre. I am far more familiar with the American hardcore punk from the early 1980s rather than what came after that time period or what came prior in Britain. I love the simplicity, the fact that it was usually just kids (and not professional musicians), the energy and of course the message (mostly the straight edge lyrics). Some of my favorite bands are:

Black Flag
Minor Threat
Bad Brains
Government Issue
Adolescents
Agent Orange

also, somewhat punk:

Joy Division
Sonic Youth

Feel free to post what you like and some youtube videos! I always like listening to some stuff that I haven't heard before!

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/b64bCTy8sa8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aWWI2rGdda4" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Y0gzn62DoY8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

I may sound like a nit-picker, but personally I consider myself not a punk fan at all. I am a "Hardcore" fan. I couldn't care less about Dead Kennedy's, Ramones, etc.

My favorites are actually on your list too, Minor threat being a big one, Bad Brains, SS Decontrol, Negative FX, Black Flag, etc.

In all honesty I haven't exactly heard every song from every band in the genre, but rather only some so I'm not the "deepest" or heaviest fan there is, but I can definitely say it's had a big influence on me and I still listen to SSD and Minor Threat on a daily/weekly basis. Minor Threat is in my opinion one of the most underrated rock bands from the 80's, amazing band(and also got me into Fugazi a little and then Embrace).

I'm originally more of an 80's Metal fan though(Iron Maiden, Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead)

Last edited:
<- was in a Minor Threat/Misfits coverband half a lifetime ago.

I was in a punk band and an industrial band years ago also. We played with SNFU and Random Killing which are two legendary Canadian punk bands. During one show Chi gave us their instruments and we played SNFU songs during their set. That was the highlight of that time for me I'd say. The industrial band I was in is actually still going although I haven't been a member for twenty years. They tour with KMFDM and pretty popular now.

I have a hard time listening to punk stuff now but I still like Minor Threat, SNFU, Ripcordz, Dead Milkmen, NOFX, and the Ramones.

There was kind of a resurgence of great punk bands in the mid 2000's.
If you get a chance check out Cheap Sex, Virus, and Complete Control. I had a chance to see them live in Toronto. This was actually the last punk show I've ever gone to. It was fantastic.

I used to be a big Misfits fan but now I can't even listen to the old stuff.

Back