• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Will Honda answer to Ferrari

So it still sounds like a V6, but perhaps the best TT V6 ever.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YTuzpVgopcs" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can Honda try to respond to this?

230 more hp, revs higher due to 2.9 liters, ~300+ lbs lighter curb weight, 2 inches shorter in natural height. They may have made a better NSX than Honda did LoL. Will there be a nice mid cycle upgrade atleast?

This car is not in the NSX market space. It starts at $321,000 and goes up to $360,900 if you add the Assetto Fiorano trim package. The most highly-optioned NSX is about $201,000. The 296 GTB is part of a street fight between Ferrari and McLaren in this space and I'm sure Honda is just fine letting those two fight it out as the prices and magazine specs continue to spiral upwards.

I think the MMC will address a lot of the little complaints about the NSX, but it's not going to add 230 hp or delete 300 lbs.

Yep Ferrari has pricing power because it has spent decades building its brand and has not deviated from the premium pricing.

Ferrari is going to sell a bunch of these, especially in convertible form.

Just let the following soak in, over 800 HP RWD, mid engine regular series production Ferrari.

Bonkers car.

Their F1 team stinks but they are on a roll with the street products, SF 90, Roma, 296, then the SUV.

I'm attracted to the Portofino because it is very versatile..

They even upped the power for the Portofino to avoid folks bitching that it is down on power relative to the Roma.

I have to believe they will do a Roma convertible and retire the Portofino.

yes the M...I like having options ..roof or not..tiny but useable extra seats in a pinch...

I hear you

I had my LC 500 Convertible out today

Top down and listening to the V8 do it's thing, a really good time

I'm not here to debate perceived value. I've been the NC1 since day one back in 2012 at the concept. Even if it was priced at $120K base price, the NSX wouldn't have sold much more... The brand is just not there with Honda. This is not talking about price.

This is the closest apples to apples comparison even more so than the C8 - V6 TT Hybrid Mid engine layout. The comparisons are bound to happen.

Kind of the best Honda has offer atm vs essentially almost the best Ferrari has to offer given pricing over the F8 V8. The biggest edges are sound and weight in comparison. Looks are subjective, especially when platform and dimensions are similar. Can Honda simplify the hybrid system for NSX-R type treatment and get the target weight under 3500 lbs? Up HP close to 700 hp? Are these not reasonable goals?

N Spec said:
I'm not here to debate perceived value. I've been the NC1 since day one back in 2012 at the concept. Even if it was priced at $120K base price, the NSX wouldn't have sold much more... The brand is just not there with Honda. This is not talking about price.

I agree, though from a marketing and sales standpoint, these two cars are aimed at different buyers. The NSX has always suffered on brand, which has always perplexed me since in 1990 and in 2021, Honda was/is routinely thwacking Ferrari in F1.

This is the closest apples to apples comparison even more so than the C8 - V6 TT Hybrid Mid engine layout. The comparisons are bound to happen.

Yep. I suspect the actual performance data between the cars will be much closer than the perceived status gap.

Kind of the best Honda has offer atm vs essentially almost the best Ferrari has to offer given pricing over the F8 V8. The biggest edges are sound and weight in comparison. Looks are subjective, especially when platform and dimensions are similar. Can Honda simplify the hybrid system for NSX-R type treatment and get the target weight under 3500 lbs? Up HP close to 700 hp? Are these not reasonable goals?

I just don't think we'll see a NSX-R for a lot of reasons. Mostly because of development cost- I don't think Honda is going to give the team the budget for this. Also, Honda views the NSX as an "American" car and the Type R badge is held as a Honda thing, not Acura. I do think we will eventually see a Type-S trim with weight reduction and more power. Now that Honda Japan has assumed control of the project, the first step will be the 2022 MMC. In the unlikely event there is a new NSX-R, I think they will keep the front motors, but go on a radical diet with everything in the car, e.g., no radio, no A/C, carbon everything, etc.

...In the unlikely event there is a new NSX-R, I think they will keep the front motors, but go on a radical diet with everything in the car, e.g., no radio, no A/C, carbon everything, etc.

No A/C? You may as well try to sell ice to Eskimos. Are you shitting me? That will alienate everyone who lives the states where you can drive the car all year round like Florida.

Its a trendy thing for track cars, purity

They offered this way to go for some of the new Ford GTs

I don't think that any future road NSX will be without a/c - you may be able to delete it as a no-cost option on the R (classic Porsche marketing, pay more for less).
The original premise for the Type S was sport-luxury, hence the carbon Kevlar seats (lighter) with leather and alcantara (premium), Momo airbag-less steering wheel, as well as the full range of options if Sir (or Madam) desires.
These days, audio can be very weight-efficient - Arcam have designed a system for Gordon Murray's T50 that weighs 4.35kg (less than 10 pounds) all up, including head unit, amplifiers, 10 speakers and wiring.

Lotus has figured out how to make a Toyota V6 sound epic. Porsche figured it out in the 997 GT3 and every other Flat 6 since... The NC1 isn't too bad but makes me wonder why couldn't it sound better.

Emira anyone? $80k starting. Toyota 400hp V6 with Manual. 3000lbs'ish. It's wider than the NA1/2 but shorter by 3".
emira-1.jpg

Life and its trade offs

I thought the C8 motor was new for the car, same old OHV approach. They just went with a low cost, moderate output version to launch with, followed by more better stuff

Lotus hass barely a company, no surprise they use a reliable off the shelf mill

The Type S story will be more fun

As we know that many of the dealers will do a stab and grab or take allocations for themselves/friends/family or just want to have the car on the showroom floor long term

From what I read, Acura performance will be e based going forward

Pagani is only now getting to a unique motor (that they don't build

McLaren doesn't build their motors

My problem with Lotus and C8 is the powerplant is not exclusive enough.
But this is exactly what draws me to both (not that I am going to buy one yet, maybe the Emira). The Camry V6 sounds GREAT in the Evora and both can be maintained relatively easily compared to an exotic, low production engine. Even the NSX C30/32 is about as "exclusive" as I want to get. The Maclaren TTV8 is another interesting one because they basically use the same engine architecture for so many of their models.

The key factor for me living in semi boonyville...is ease of service...My choices for close dealers is Acura/Porsche/Chevy/bmw....anything else is over 2 hours.

Even if you live near a Lotus dealer, not sure the support will meet expectations.

And we shall see if they can put sufficient parts support in place for a higher volume model.

HaHa I owned an alfa for 10 years..I was happy to have bobcor 35 minutes away.

The Z06 "9000 Redline" Motor sounds amazingly like a Ferrari LoL. I bet GM will pimp that motor out to the masses to tho...

Both the Lotus and C8 platforms are enticing. They are practical and relatively affordable. I'm curious to see the aftermarket path for both after they bottom out in price. I'm surprised no one has put a K20 in a Lotus yet haha.

As for Honda ending the NC1. Maybe the ND or NC2 or whatever is closer than the decade gap of the last gen...

The McLaren platforms too, given how fast a 720 can go sub 10 sec with minimal mods. I don't think the MP12C are under 6 figures quite yet tho.

Back