• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil & Air Filters Bargains and they may be OEM

I finally got my hands on a new 505, had to get it at Honda as the Acura dealer still had the old short filter. The 505 is marked Filtech as the manufacturer and made in the USA.

The internals look identical to the 315 and the filtration material is the same with the exact same square inches (allowing for some loss of the material when cutting everything apart). However, and this could be significant, the one I had would sometimes jam the bypass valve when closing it. Now, I'm not using a very scientific method of opening the valve, just a wooden dowel that is roughly the same diameter as the valve. Now, it would free the next time I pushed on it and released but it would jam about 40% of the time I opened it, none of the other filters would jam in ten separate cycles so I stopped trying. If the bypass jams open, it does NOT mean that the oil isn't being filtered, just that some percentage of it is flowing directly back into the supply side without going through the media. Unless it jammed open permanently, the oil is still getting filtered. Also, it's obviously a dry valve at this point as it was a new filter, I'm sure the lubricant makes it easier to open/close once it's installed.

The rest of the filter seems to follow Honda's requirements as to case thickness, oil feed holes (location in the baseplate and size), steel tubular center with the same flow pattern. I suspect Honda is pretty strict about these things and doesn't allow much variance from the specifications they hand to the manufacturer.

I've been looking around for a Denso but my local parts houses do not carry them. Actually, my local parts houses do not carry any filter for the NSX in stock. I'll order one up so that the comparison is complete although I have a suspicion that they make the B/A filter only because in buying B/A parts over the years, lots of them were re-labeled Denson or Nippon-Denso parts.

My wife is starting to wonder why she sees me with safety glasses, dial calipers and a box full of cut up oil filters. I keep telling her it's important research for the benefit of mankind. :D She says it's an excuse to get dirty :redface:

Thanks for doing this!

I just had an oil change yesterday and used one of my 5 new filters, they look identical to the OEM one it replaced!:biggrin:

I've never seen the oil filter in a store, only in their online catalog:

http://www.napaonline.com/masterpag...umber=3612905&Description=Oil+Filter+(Ultra-8)

Rock Auto also carries Nippon but oddly enough, their Nippon is now the shorter filter, same as Acura. AFAIK, NAPA has the last remaining stock of the tall equivalent filters.

Thanks Tom! I just ordered 5 for $34.12.
I think if we keep ordering like this, NAPA might stock some more due to this new demand.:biggrin:

Thanks Tom! I just ordered 5 for $34.12.
I think if we keep ordering like this, NAPA might stock some more due to this new demand.:biggrin:

I'm just afraid that if they reorder, they are going to end up with the shorter version like Rock Auto now has :(

I got a hold of the Denso filter. Same exact height as the tall OEM NSX filter. Wasn't taken apart as it was going to be used. The filtration holes are larger than the 004 filter that I had for comparison. Otherwise it looked top notch.

denso1.jpg

denso2.jpg

denso3.jpg

denso4.jpg

denso5.jpg

denso6.jpg

I'm curious if anyone has looked at the filter options at rockauto? I picked up some air and cabin filters for other vehicles there and looked at the oil change option on the nsx and there's quite a few options with some looking like the larger filter, but with manufacturer names I'm not familiar with... anyone have some thoughts?

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering if the Nippon was the same as WIX from napa (oil filter)

TIA

AFAIK the Wix is a different filter (higher end according to Napa). I went to Napa today and picked up their last 2 tall filters. The funny thing is, they were trying to convince me not to buy them. Apparently, Ultra-8 is their bottom of the barrel (cheap) stuff. They wanted me to buy the Wix filter instead, but I told them about the research from this thread and bought them anyway.

Also made an offer on an ebay auction for a box of 10 Denso tall filters. Buy it now was $68.60 + $10 for shipping. I offered $58.60 and the offer was accepted. Looks like I should be good on oil filters for the next 20 years! :biggrin:

Thank you Tom and other contributors for the detailed write-up!

Last edited:
AFAIK the Wix is a different filter (higher end according to Napa). I went to Napa today and picked up their last 2 tall filters. The funny thing is, they were trying to convince me not to buy them. Apparently, Ultra-8 is their bottom of the barrel (cheap) stuff. They wanted me to buy the Wix filter instead, but I told them about the research from this thread and bought them anyway.

Also made an offer on an ebay auction for a box of 10 Denso tall filters. Buy it now was $68.60 + $10 for shipping. I offered $58.60 and the offer was accepted. Looks like I should be good on oil filters for the next 20 years! :biggrin:

Thank you Tom and other contributors for the detailed write-up!

I'm running these:

L24484.jpg

PuroOilefficiency_175.jpg

Purolator_Oilcutaway.jpg

There's some promotions: http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/promotions/Pages/specialoffer.aspx

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FdC1Ga-Gor0?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FdC1Ga-Gor0?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Last edited:
I got a hold of the Denso filter. Same exact height as the tall OEM NSX filter. Wasn't taken apart as it was going to be used. The filtration holes are larger than the 004 filter that I had for comparison. Otherwise it looked top notch.

I also picked up a few Denso 150-1013 from Sparkplugs.com for $6.86 they look almost exactly like the OEM tall filter. Not sure of the gutts inside but maybe we can cut one up after the next oil change?

As I work in the industry I can tell you guys from experience that the Altrom line is often the OE part rebranded or repackaged for imports especially. That is to say unless the Altrom line also carries an Ultra-8 branding which is their bottom of the barrel economy line part.

Tom

FWIW, the Denso site claims they are the OEM for their NSX application oil filter. Not making a claim, just repeating what's on Denso's site

Those interested can look up the part and see: http://www.densoaftermarket.com/catalog/catalog.php?part=oilf

About 3 years ago I bought a box of 10 of the Denso filters and was going to use those going forward until I found a local dealer who had more than a dozen of the tall Honda filters. I bought every one and now have enough filters for years and years.

J

So now I am confused, are we saying Denso is the closest thing to the OEM tall Honda filter?

So now I am confused, are we saying Denso is the closest thing to the OEM tall Honda filter?

Alex, that's what I'm thinking. I've been using both OEM & Denso in my Legend and NSX and the Denso seems to be every bit as good as the OEM. I have no qualms about using it if that's what you're asking...

Sparkplugs.com is running a coupon code 10% off all Denso orders over $20: type DEN1NOE at checkout. If you're a Denso man it's time to stock up.

Looks like this is an older thread, but just curious to see after some use if the NAPA Ultra 8 Oil filters were still holding up with no issues, thanks for this great info!

Back