• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil change poll

I do it myself. Every 10000km. First car I have done it for but I actually like doing something on the NSX.
With my other & all my previous cars I couldn't care less.

I do it myself. At the dealer I can never be positive that they put in the oil (synthetic) that I ask for. But, it is a pain in the butt, esp if you put the car up on jack stands all the way around and too much work if you don't have a quick floor jack. Next time I will try one of the short cuts, like driving up on homemade ramps made of 2x or 4x4s.

For those of you who DO NOT change your own oil....HOW LAZY!!! I cannot believe you would let a dealer or some jiffylube / quicklube do it!!! I can understand taking your "Beater" to a jiffylube or quicklube or whatever but........no way....not your NSX!!! and for those of you who "Don't like to get dirty"............no comment.

Just get a couple ramps back the car on the ramps drain oil one bolt. Unscrew filter but put a plastic freezer bag around the filter so it wont make a mess. Put new filter on lube o ring with new oil put oil plug back in with new washer . Then put oil in its fun and easy. Piece of cake:D

I always have to laugh when I see someone who can afford an NSX talk about changing the oil themselves in order to save a couple of bucks. Unless you like working underneath, that I can understand.

For me, I'd rather find a good dealer to service the car and spend more of my time driving it...

Marc

I change the oil myself on the NSX. I take my other vehicles to the quick change places. The Acura dealer gives me a break on the Honda oil filters when I buy 6 at a time (throws in the washers for free). I use Mobil 1 oil. AutoZone recycles my used oil for free. Everyone else charges a hazardous waste disposal fee.

MWest said:
I always have to laugh when I see someone who can afford an NSX talk about changing the oil themselves in order to save a couple of bucks. Unless you like working underneath, that I can understand.
It's not about saving bucks, it's about peace of mind. I'm sure a lot of people are meticulous about their cars, and would not want anyone they don't know/trust near their NSX.

MWest said:
For me, I'd rather find a good dealer to service the car and spend more of my time driving it...
I'd rather spend more of my time driving my car too. Thats one reason that I do it myself. I spend more time waiting around for the dealer to do it than if I just did it myself.

Yeah, I guess it's a peace of mind thing. The same guys who change their own oil probably do their own washing and waxing. I have a guy who comes by my office, washes and waxes my NSX while I'm eating lunch. It's all about priorities.

BTW, I still park at the far end of the parking lot in a "safe" spot so I don't get dinged...I have my own priorities, too.

Marc
:)

I changed the oil on my just-purchased 91 a couple weeks ago. I believe it went 4500 miles since the last change. I will change it probably at every 4000 miles in the future. No reason, just easy to remember a round number.

I change my own oil, because it is my responsibility with owning such a car. I change my own oil on all my cars, and while I don't get excited about it, I don't dread it at all.

I just bought one of those Griot's Garage oil extractor pumps that pull oil from the dipstick tube location. Not bad at all. After a few minutes experimenting to find the proper extractor tube depth into the block (dipstick length + a few inches, no more), the pump worked like a charm. I found that the pump was a great solution for the NSX. With the Griot's universal filter wrench in hand, I was able to change the filter too, all without ever having to lift the car or change the plug gasket. The NSX, even though it has the lowest ground clearance of any car I have, is the easiest to change the oil on.

Btw, including the filter, it took exactly 6 quarts of oil (Castrol Syntec) to bring it up to the mark. From what I can remember regarding the oil pan capacity of the NSX, it appears that I had drained most all of the old oil out with the extractor pump.

Anyway, I'm not associated with Griot's Garage, just a customer.

Jason

Autophile said:
I just bought one of those Griot's Garage oil extractor pumps that pull oil from the dipstick tube location.
That sounds pretty interesting. Is it one of these?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122
http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10186

Autophile said:
With the Griot's universal filter wrench in hand, I was able to change the filter too, all without ever having to lift the car or change the plug gasket.
Is this it?

Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way, as opposed to the conventional method?

NO to ramps!

show1nsx said:
Just get a couple ramps back the car on the ramps ... Piece of cake:D

Ive just stopped using the ramps after 4 years of doing it that way. It can be extremely dangerous -- especially if your garage floor is smooth. There is more grip between your tires and the ramps than there is between the ramps and the ground, so any throttle you apply will more likely cause the ramps to slide forward (and under the car) than for your car to move backwards up the ramps. I have had a few nasty experiences with ramps and I would discourage anyone from using them (unless you have them glued or bolted to the floor).

Phoen$x,

Yes, the first link (...10122) is the pump I bought. And the wrench link you had is correct too. Great stuff....

I can't think of any disadvantages with the pump. It cleans up easy (nothing to clean, really), and it holds the oil for disposal too, if desired. The only issue I had was just experimenting with the right depth for the tube, but once I figured it out, it is not hard to remember for the next time...

I too change my own oil, hopefully around every 3,000 miles, but, with work, sometimes closer to 3,500 or 4,000 miles. First, I trust the quality of my oil changes to that of the dealer (or a jiffy lube, to me there's no difference between the two for oil changes), and second it's faster (IMO) than going to the dealer. I save a few $$$, but with $10 for an oil filter and $30 for oil, I don't save all that much, maybe $20-$30 when all is said and done.

Also, for clarification, in Austin (not sure about the rest of Texas), oil is considered hazardous waste, which I believe is *why* it can be disposed of for free - almost any auto parts store, oil change place, dealer, heck, even Wal-Mart, will take old used oil from you, for free, and dispose of it. If Texas started charging you do dispose of oil, then, IMO, you would get more folks dumping it in their backyards/creeks/etc.

For doing the oil changes, I just jack up the car, remove the drain plug, and re-drop the car (to get the most out of the drain pan). Just a little tip... :)

Phoen$x - The crush washer is a good-sized silver washer that goes on the oil drain plug after every oil change - don't worry if you didn't swap it last change, but it's a good habit to get into. Normally, when you buy filters they will have crush washers attached (at least that's the case, if not specify that you want washers with your filters). If nothing else you can get them from the dealer - I think I have a string of 20 at home, since I bought them before I knew that the filters came with them. :)

As for the oil, sometimes I put it back into the containers, but normally I'm too lazy, and use an old plastic milk-carton to hold most of the oil, and occasionally clean out the oil pan into another bottle - just a tip, those bottles do rot with age, so don't let them sit forever. ;)

Fortunately for me I only live about 5 miles away from the Acura dealer that works on my car. They keep giving me coupons for $19.95 oil/lube, so I take advantage of this. It's done by the only tech that works on my car too. I always changed the oil myself with my previous cars, so I don't chalk it up to laziness, but the situation at hand tells me to take it to the dealer nearby. Not to mention, the one time that it wasn't done at the dealer, they didn't tighten the oil filter enough so I started to leak oil from there. Other than thinking I had some sort of big problem at first, things turned out fine in the end. It's worth the piece of mind to me. Plus, the dealer only wash's my car by hand, I have watched them do it. That saves me some time and energy too, since I only wash it by hand also.

burbel said:
Phoen$x - The crush washer is a good-sized silver washer that goes on the oil drain plug after every oil change - don't worry if you didn't swap it last change, but it's a good habit to get into.
Thanks for the info, Brian. BTW, where are the pics of your car? :)

Briank and I agree that removing the right rear wheel makes the job a snap. You have to get the car off the ground anyway, so taking off the wheel is the only extra step involved. You can feel around the oil pan to find the drain plug. The filter is right in your face. I just sat on one of those creeper stools for my last change.
After spending $30-$40 for oil and filter, I am not trying to cut corners. I am buying peace of mind. I can't think of anyone that I would trust changing my oil, or washing my car. Since when is a car wash jockey going to take the care you or I would? I would not trust them to keep rinsing the sponge in clean water to keep the grit totally out of it, nor to keep changing terry towels to keep only soft, clean cotton fabric on my car's finish. I have had the personal experience of a dealer wash job that generated a hoodful of swirl marks, maybe to every car they touched.

As for having someone else do an oil change unseen, I don't know if they are really going to use the oil I asked for, nor if they really did use a new drain plug washer, or if they carefully wiped off around the drain hole without pushing dirt into the the hole, or if they cleaned off the oil filter mounting surface and oiled the gasket, or what they scratched or dinged while they were hurriedly getting my job out of the way.

As far as my situation goes, driving over a hundred-mile round trip to the dealer for an oil change would take up most of a half day, so using a half hour to change my own oil is a more efficient use of my time. I am just dreading the day when I need a new timing belt, and the wisdom seems to be that only the dealer can do it right. But what will they do to my car's looks? A friend of mine who has a Legend has complained to me about damage to his car from my nearest dealer, and this on several occasions. To me, having an NSX causes owners to have a fanaticism about perfection, and we continually face the prospect of disappointment by those who would touch our vehicles for their profit without sharing that same fanaticism.

Regards,

Bill

Last edited:
Acuraphile said:
Briank and I agree that removing the right rear wheel makes the job a snap. You have to get the car off the ground anyway, so taking off the wheel is the only extra step involved. You can feel around the oil pan to find the drain plug. The filter is right in your face. I just sat on one of those creeper stools for my last change.
After spending $30-$40 for oil and filter, I am not trying to cut corners. I am buying peace of mind. I can't think of anyone that I would trust changing my oil, or washing my car. Since when is a car wash jockey going to take the care you or I would? I would not trust them to keep rinsing the sponge in clean water to keep the grit totally out of it, nor to keep changing terry towels to keep only soft, clean cotton fabric on my car's finish. I have had the personal experience of a dealer wash job that generated a hoodful of swirl marks, maybe to every car they touched.

As for having someone else do an oil change unseen, I don't know if they are going to really used the oil I asked for, nor if they really did use a new drain plug ring, or if they carefully wiped off around the drain hole without pushing dirt into the the hole, or if they cleaned off the oil filter mounting surface and oiled the gasket, or what they scratched or dinged while they were hurriedly getting my job out of the way.

As far as my situation goes, driving over a hundred-mile round trip to the dealer for an oil change would take up most of a half day, so using a half hour to change my own oil is a more efficient use of my time. I am just dreading the day when I need a new timing belt, and the wisdom seems to be that only the dealer can do it right. But what will they do to my car's looks? A friend of mine who has a Legend has complained to me about damage to his car from my nearest dealer, and this on several occasions. To me, having an NSX causes owners to have a fanaticism about perfection, and we continually face the prospect of disappointment by those who would touch our vehicles for their profit without sharing that same fanaticism.

Regards,

Bill

Well said....

Re: NO to ramps!

JoeSchmoe said:
Ive just stopped using the ramps after 4 years of doing it that way. It can be extremely dangerous -- especially if your garage floor is smooth.

No problems here using Rhino Ramps on a concrete garage floor, she climbs right up every time. Different story on a sealcoated asphalt driveway however.

chumch said:
What are your thoughts on:

1. Doing it your self

2. Taking It to Valvoline Instant Oil change (or the like)

3. Taking it to the dealer

I think the difference between doing it yourself vs taking it elsewhere involves factors of convenience and enjoyment that differ from one person to another.

I think it's important to use a place that you trust, to take care of your car and to do the oil change properly. (And it is possible to mess up an oil change - everything from improper tightening of the filter and/or drain plug, to forgetting to put the oil in - and yes, that does happen.)

There is nothing specialized about an NSX oil change; any competent mechanic can do it. (You don't include an independent mechanic among your choices.)

If I am ONLY having an oil change done, I have it done by a competent independent mechanic near my house, and they use a Honda filter and crush washer. If I am also having other NSX service done at the dealer, I have the oil change done there at the same time.

Sure sounds like the real nsxtasy in that post.

Re: Re: NO to ramps!

Russ said:
No problems here using Rhino Ramps on a concrete garage floor, she climbs right up every time. Different story on a sealcoated asphalt driveway however.

Those are the exact same ramps that I used. They rely completely on these 2 tinyrubber pads to keep the ramp from sliding around. Once these dry out or wear, the ramps will slide around freely on the garage floor.

Also note that you have way more tire in contact with the ramp than the ramps' tiny rubber feet do with the concrete below. Figure in even the slightest amount of dust on the floor and you will find yourself backing up a moving object.

I have seen these ramps shoot out 2-3 feet when driving the car off them. I have seen stranger things happen when backing up onto them... :rolleyes:

Back