• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

oil filter pedestal removal

I'm getting ready to change out the hoses in my '92 and I'd like some hints on how to remove/reinstall the oil filter pedestal in order to get at the 2 oil cooler hoses. I've reviewed some earlier posts but still have a couple of q's.

Are there any more than 3 bolts holding this to the block? Is there a gasket for this , aside from the small figure "8" seal?

I've seen that Honda Bond is rec'd. Does this go onto a gasket,form a gasket, or is it just to coat the mounting bolt threads?

I have the figure "8" seal. Where exactly does this go and does this also need Honda Bond on it?

Any unusual pitfalls to watch out for with this job?

Happy New Year, Comrades!

It has been a while since I did mine, but I don't think I used any adhesive at all. The FSM doesn't seem to specify using any. As I recall everything was straightforward except for the hoses themselves. It was a real pain removing the old ones and another pain getting the new ones on. The figure 8 seal is the only seal, unless you're removing the pressure switch or the cooler from the base.

The two top mounting bolts for the oil cooler pedastel are threaded into an area on the block that the factory wants sealed. The FSM calls for replacing the top two bolts since they are coated with sealant when new. (like the new water pump bolts)

Coat the original top two bolt threads with Hondabond and reuse them:).

Happy New Year!

Regards,
LarryB

Bolts are all visible. As Larry B mentioned, use Hondabond on the threads only.
You can slide the oil cooler away from the block and just cut the hoses off. It makes removal of the rest of the hose ends easier.

Back