• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oil: From synth, to regualar and back. Thoughts

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:confused: I recently bought a 1992 Stock NSX. The original owner used nothing but mobile one since birth as best I can determine all the way through 94,000 miles. A second owner has put regular oil in up to 100k even (netting 6k miles on reqular oil). Should I switch back to synthetic? Engine does have a slight taping noise but I'm not familiar enough to know if that could be the reason. Cost is not especially a concern but I've heard changing back an forth is not a good idea. Thoughts??

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard from a thousand sources that swutching is not at all a problem. Even mixing the 2 is not a problem--although if this is done, I was told that it should at least be the same brand of oil.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I still mining for more data though. I've been looking for some technical publications on the topic. Haven't turned any up yet. Thanks

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Madbox said:
Should I switch back to synthetic? Engine does have a slight taping noise but I'm not familiar enough to know if that could be the reason.

I highly recommend Royal Purple synthetic, I have always been a mobil 1 user.

The taping noise is well known for NSX, it is normal, by switching to Royal Purple, it will quiet it down a bit.

Heard many good things about Royal Purple, so I decided to test it out in my Supra first, did not want to take chances with NSX, I was a bit shocked by the results, my T61 single turbo is spooling noticeably quicker than before. EGT reading is also slightly lower than usual.

After good results in the Supra, I also changed the oil in my NSX with Royal Purple. Engine is definitely a bit quieter at idle even with the hood open.

Best thing is that they are not too expensive, $36 for 6qts.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. No issue with switching it sounds like either. That was my major concern. I'll get myself some purple and give it a go. Thanks again. Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nsxsupra said:
I highly recommend Royal Purple synthetic, I have always been a mobil 1 user.

The taping noise is well known for NSX, it is normal, by switching to Royal Purple, it will quiet it down a bit.

Heard many good things about Royal Purple, so I decided to test it out in my Supra first, did not want to take chances with NSX, I was a bit shocked by the results, my T61 single turbo is spooling noticeably quicker than before. EGT reading is also slightly lower than usual.

After good results in the Supra, I also changed the oil in my NSX with Royal Purple. Engine is definitely a bit quieter at idle even with the hood open.

Best thing is that they are not too expensive, $36 for 6qts.

did you use the same weigh on the royal purple?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no problem with switching back and forth.

At Sam's Club and Costco, you can get a case of six quarts of Mobil 1 in the 10W30 viscosity recommended for the NSX for $23.xx.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank everyone. I'm going to pick up some Royal Purple this weekend.

:cool: Mike

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI: Ebay - 12 quarts of Royal Purple, $66.52. There is a bunch of it on there just becareful choosing 10W30 and avoid racing type (unless your so inclined). Shipping was free.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put in the Racing type 41...which equates to a 10w-40...should I have not done this? Stuff is expensive for sure...8.50 quarts at NAPA...