• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OIL ISSUE

red face means that im scared.
I drive a Acura legend (91)
Today, I was driving to school when I noticed that the oil light was coming on and off. (tends to come on when i am hard on the pedal.)
When i checked the oil, it was way below the min level. I asked the autoshop teacher for a quart of oil. we searched around and found a quart of oil labeled as 10w-30. When I got to my car, I was going to pour it in when I realized that it had this yellow foam at the top and below that is a mixture of yellow slugde and clear liquid. Im guessing that the clear liquid is water (the yellow foam is at top and the sludge is below the water.) Both seem to thave the viscosity of water.

Does anyone know what this liquid could be?
I got less than 1/25 of the bottle into the car.
thanks.
-NSXadmirer

Sometimes coolant has a yellowish tint to it..although it IS supposed to be green. What color was the oil bottle? Maybe it cast enough of a shade on the iquid to make it look a different color??

I'm sorry if my wording my have given you the wrong impresion that we just "found" it. What I meant to say is that this bottle was real. Well, the label was. It says "flag 10w-30 motor oil" so we took the label for what it said.

I don't think I mentioned this before but, another thing that gave me a bad feeling about the oil was that the top was broken. At first, I figured it was because it gets cold at night and the oil expanded and caused the top to break or something.

I went out and bought some oil (I am sure its oil this time-I got it in the store, not the bottom of some locker.)
I mailed the teacher, hopefully he will come up with a reasonable answer (or I will take his truck as payment for messing me over.)

Well, all I can say is that if its some sort of water based fluid, just run your car until the oil temp exceeds 100C and it should evaporate and leave your oil system.
It MAY leave some sort of residual sludge of some sort, in which case it wouldnt hurt to change the oil out altogether..

------------------
'91 Black/Black

Back