• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

One wheel locking up

Just finished installing new Stoptech Aerorotors and Cobalt Friction GT Sport pads on my front wheels this week. I took the car out for a shakedown cruise this morning and to bed the pads/rotors. I found that the right front wheel is locking up and sliding for a gross period of time, wildly estimate almost a full second, before ABS engages. This is definitely not normal.... I've done a number of searches and found few similar topics. Saw lots about sticking ABS solenoids that stick in the "open" / activated position. Is it possible for the solenoid to stick closed and thus not engage the system and not bring up any error codes? ABS dash light remained off. I plan to head out tomorrow morning and vigorously exercise the demons, I mean, the brakes to see if I can unstick something.

As a side point of interest, I removed the hubs on both wheels to remove the splash guards. The driver's side hub came out easy as pie. The passenger side was stuck in there with some gunge and powder solids, looked like corrosion products - white and rust colored. Pried it out using tools in ways they were never meant to be used. Pics below. Only hint as to how stuff got in there was a small piece of paper-like debris that was attached to the hub flange... could have been the remains of a piece of paper or something similar caught in the hub if it had ever been R&R previously. COuld have been wicking moisture into the cavity. The whitish stuff could be salt or possibly aluminum oxide if those internals are aluminum. I cleaned it up as best I could with an emery cloth and re-installed it. At first I thought the black sensor in the cavity was screwed and might be causing the lack of ABS engagement, but then read in the service manual that it is the speed sensor. I figure if it wasn't transmitting speed properly either the TCS or ABS systems would be faulting.

Any advice or comments?

TIA!!

Fouled hub internals before cleaning:

Attachments

• Psngr side hub internals - before cleaning.jpg
    Psngr side hub internals - before cleaning.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 231
Hub internals after I cleaned it up: (the hub assembly looked the same as above for the fouled state but I got it nice and clean again)

Attachments

• 004 Psngr side hub internals - post cleaning.jpg
    004 Psngr side hub internals - post cleaning.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 226
Last edited:
CokerRat said:
I found that the right front wheel is locking up and sliding for a gross period of time, wildly estimate almost a full second, before ABS engages.
Just a guess: If you have some dirt on the ABS sensor at this wheel it may give false readings to the ABS computer but not false enough to set the system to failure mode (ABS off, light comes on). I would try some cleaning action and do further testing.

Back