• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Opinions please... My custom wheels: I-beam or no I-beam?

Do you guys like the this wheel with or without I-beam cuts? This is my own design. Please don't quote my pics on your replies. Thanks guys!

4408c785fb90ce08518c74cd239a0b28_zps9a474938.jpg

465b32719fe63a6ffda6a6fca028aa79_zpsae56ac8c.jpg

042229d88e0d1f701fa9a662426d261f_zps9be5e6cf.jpg

93521857a2c601b672e2f991781af103_zps6059538e.jpg

Maybe with cuts for added detail. Harder to clean though. Also- if you are going to do custom wheels can't you get an actual concave face with curvature and not just a dish blank? Companies have been calling anything with a dish concave and people go along with it because they don't actually know what concave means. HRE is the only company that did it right and called theirs conical.

Nero I, not sure what you are asking. The spokes can be curved but I don't think that looks as good. It's also heavier and not as strong. But it provides more caliper clearance which I don't need with my exact custom offsets.

Oh it's up to you. I much prefer the curvature and I thought you would because that's how the advans were and I know you love those!

I do love the RSII but I also really like straight spokes... And since its stronger and slightly lighter....

Hey that's cool :) You should get exactly what you want in building a wheel from scratch. I just prefer a little design flair vs absolute engineering (pun fully intended with flare, haha). Plus it irks me when companies create misinformation for marketing lingo.

Last edited:
So you like the side cuts?

Not on the RSII but yes on these being straight spoke. Are these spokes twin spoke paired spacing like the RZ? I always liked those.

No they ate not paired. Just evenly spaced. They ate not like most other wheels. The spokes go almost to the center caps.

That should make these look big in 17/18, good choice.

It's going to be 18/19

I think it would look better if it was more of a square cut this appears to almost be a circular cut.

The weight savings is ounces. On all 4 wheels perhaps a pound. Not that significant. It's more a style question I guess.

Shaylor square ends on the cute significantly weaken the spoke then width has to be increased. I think the shape is very good honestly.

The weight savings is ounces. On all 4 wheels perhaps a pound. Not that significant. It's more a style question I guess.
I would go without. I think it's simpler and cleaner design which highlights NSX lines and spirit better. But it's personal more than anything else.

Where are you going to make them?

I like the second picture. And that will help also with weight reduction. Cool design. Plan and simple. DO it! :wink:

Actually WP has stepped up to the plate and is making these for me and Shaylor since the ceramics didn't fit. They have made wheels before and have more sophisticated cutting machines (5 axis) than many wheel makers. The finish is being farmed out. The wheels are coming from forged 6061 blanks. I'm considering a TMPS system. Stack has a fantastic one. If anyone has any thoughts or experience with this let me know.

tpms-52mm-display-gauge_small.jpg

Your NSX has a very clean look and I think the straight spokes look cleaner and more modern.
As well the grooves in the I-beam wheel will collect brake dust and dirt like mad.
The straight spokes should be much easier to detail.
Don't want custom wheels that need washing every day.

In this design I think the cuts look great. Its funny because I passed on the RSII in favor of the RS wheels recently. I guess cuts look better to me on straight spokes rather than curved spokes. Looking forward to seeing the actual wheels!

I'm assuming they are stepping up to make the 18/19 combo for you guys or are they stepping up to make 17/18 combo? Either way I like it with the Ibeam.

Back