• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Optional Cavaran to NSXPO - Tuesday, October 26, 2010

First Day - 285 miles

Head south all the way down Hwy 25 to San Miguel then head east to Parkfield (crossing the San Andreas Fault Line a few times) for lunch at the only place in town (170 miles -2 stops). Very scenic and exciting winding 2-lane roads with very little traffic.

After a 60 min. lunch break, we head south to the James Dean Memorial site in Cholame, (break) then continue south on Bitterwater Road to Highway 58 and the Carrizo Plain, then a break (fuel) in McKittrick and it's Hwy 58 all the way to Bakersfield where we stay Tuesday night (115 mi). These roads stretch out and open up, still with great views and again almost no traffic til reaching McKittrick.

Second Day - 350 miles

Head out for more thrilling backroads East (Hwy 178) past Lake Isabella to Hwy 395 (42 Mi Break) then North to Olancha, east on Hwy 190 to Panamint Springs (140 mi. Break). Great road out of Bakersfield in a narrow canyon following the Kern River, forests the lake and then opening up into the desert on Hwy-395. The road gets even more thrilling when heading down steep grades into Panamint Valley. All the roads from here to Vagas are all easy, with the wide open desert vistas.

Optional A decision can be made at this time if the group would like to take a small detour north up the valley just past Stove Pipe Wells to check out Scotty's Castle and lunch there. (70 -mi round trip).Then visit Ubehebe Volcanic Crater (5-mi) again optional but well worth the extra time.

Then on to Furnace Creek in Death Valley for 90 min. lunch and relax break (54 mi.).

The final push to Vegas has a can't miss Photo op at Zabrinskie Point and Dante's View (25 mi.) then we end at Black Diamond in Vegas (114 mi.) for check-in and dinner.

Like I said before, Yo and I have done all of these roads many times (also with car clubs with as many as a dozen vehicles) and we know precisely where to go and how long it takes. Everything from food and fuel to the hot spots for photos. Throw away the stinkin map, cuz I don't need one.

Jack

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...992,-119.317017&sspn=2.998361,5.410767&num=10

Date: Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Starbuck's
125 Bernal Road
San Jose, CA 95119

Time: Depart 8:00 A.M. SHARP

This location has Starbuck's, McDonald's, Regal Bagel, Jack in the Box, fuel stop in addition to a large parking area.

Bring FRS Radios! More details to follow.

1) yojack
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)

Last edited:
1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)
5)
6)
7)

1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)Gp2race
5) Dhalsim (will be meeting up on the 2nd day)
6)
7)

1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)Gp2race
6)
7)

So Roger, your towing down to LA, then you would drive over to Bakersfield and be there by 7:00 am on Wed. morning. I'm impressed! If you can manage it you 'll have a better time with us.

Jack

So Roger, your towing down to LA, then you would drive over to Bakersfield and be there by 7:00 am on Wed. morning. I'm impressed! If you can manage it you 'll have a better time with us.

Jack

Yes, although we haven't decided if we will drive up Tuesday night and spend the night or meet up in the morning.

Yes, although we haven't decided if we will drive up Tuesday night and spend the night or meet up in the morning.

So where in So Cal would you be leaving from? It's a couple hours and 114-miles from LA to Bakersfield. Have you seen the So Cal group? Saw our post and decided to get serious with sign-ups but they seem to be leaning towards Thurs. and of course an even more boring drive.

No imagination!:confused:

Jack

So where in So Cal would you be leaving from? It's a couple hours and 114-miles from LA to Bakersfield. Have you seen the So Cal group? Saw our post and decided to get serious with sign-ups but they seem to be leaning towards Thurs. and of course an even more boring drive.

No imagination!:confused:

Jack

I knew that there was a socal group caravan but didn't even look at it as I figured it couldn't be better than this one.

Just checked the Socal thread for NSXPO. 28- cars and counting. Their making Norcal look like Nocal. So why not much interest from our area?:confused: Is parking for two hours at some restaurant all we're good for? :rolleyes: This is a big deal and a great experience for you and your NSXs, can't we be at least a quarter as good as Socal in signing up?

Just asking!:smile:

Jack

I agree there is a lack of interest in your really cool trek to LV, but to be fair the caravan from SoCal to LV is just the "normal" route anyone would take and not the adventure you have planned.

Just checked the Socal thread for NSXPO. 28- cars and counting. Their making Norcal look like Nocal. So why not much interest from our area?:confused: Is parking for two hours at some restaurant all we're good for? :rolleyes: This is a big deal and a great experience for you and your NSXs, can't we be at least a quarter as good as Socal in signing up?

Jack

I agree there is a lack of interest in your really cool trek to LV, but to be fair the caravan from SoCal to LV is just the "normal" route anyone would take and not the adventure you have planned.

I agree with Roger, what you have planned is going to be a trip that we will not soon forget... besides, we have over three months before this event happens. I'm sure those who can, will join us, those who can't will meet us there and we will all have a great time.

Mike

Jack

Jack,
Socal has way more NSXs then us, plus it's a bit early to sign up. Give it time, we are all busy here Sir.:smile:

I'm not talking about the drive perse but the overall interest in NSXPO in general. We obviously have a little further to drive and to our advantage it will be a heck of a lot more fun.

I always thought between the Bay Area, Sac and the rest of Norcal we had at least as many NSXs (as Socal) and perhaps more eager owners willing to particapate in events. But you have to drive, not everything is in one's own backyard.

I would bet that anyone who has not yet decided to go to NSXPO, (whether in a group or alone) will not. There will always be an exception but I've learned that very early on you're either in or out with this kind of commitment.

On a different note Oct-2.
I've got more cars signed up (8) for 3,200-mile 9-day 4-state run all the way to Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and back. Back home and a few days later, off to NSXPO. Now thats what I call a run!

Again just talking
Jack:smile:

Just to reiterate, not trying to recruit for this run or any other means of getting there with that post. I never expected more than a handful so please don't take it the wrong way. It's only an observation and comment on the South (with all their activity) vs North (and their lack of it) on this event. If people want to go, it's there and if they don't, thats fine.

Last edited:
Roger I hope you can do the entire run with us because the first day is going to be an eye opener if your not familiar with that big ole patch between Hwy 101 and Interstate 5. :wink:

I'm going to post up some shots with the NSX from May when we did a little pre-run to Death Valley so people can see some of the remarkable scenery and roads.

Jack

Last edited:
Jack/Yolanda,
I've been through some of the routes you took, but was not in the nsx, and I really wanna try them again in the nsx this time. But in case I or other folks can't make it on Tuesday, what is the latest time are you departing bakersfield on wednesday morning, 7am?, and where in mind?

1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)Gp2race
6) bhj3 (meet on 2nd day)
7)

What time and where do we meet you 10/27 in Bakersfield?
I'm driving down from Fresno.

We will post all the final details shortly! :smile:

Jack

Okay guys, here are some shots of where we're going on Day 1 (Tuesday) including our lunch stop at Parkfield.

Remote Bitterwater Road with it's Laguna Seca like terrain and Highway 58 with it's spectacular scenery. We had the Vet that day but just imagine a half dozen NSXs! :smile:

I'll post up pictures with the NSX for Day 2 through Death Valley in the next few days.

Near Parkfield - Earthquake Capital of the World
IMG_5230.jpg

IMG_5233.jpg

IMG_5235.jpg

Lunch at Parkfield Cafe
IMG_5238.jpg

A local looking for scraps
IMG_5245.jpg

After Lunch
IMG_5244.jpg

IMG_5253.jpg

IMG_5252.jpg

IMG_5256.jpg

True country roads
IMG_5261.jpg

Typical Bitterwater Road
IMG_5271.jpg

No traffic here
IMG_5274.jpg

Or here
IMG_5273.jpg

Or here on Highway 58
IMG_5277.jpg

Carrizo Plains
IMG_5280.jpg

Great place for a group shot
IMG_5285.jpg

IMG_5288.jpg

IMG_4061.jpg

Here's some more but with the NSX on another run
IMG_4063.jpg

There's my old place with the outhouse behind the mound :smile:
IMG_4070.jpg

IMG_4075.jpg

There won't be the flowers in October
IMG_4091.jpg

Down in the valley is Bakersfield where we will stay Tuesday night
IMG_4109.jpg

Last edited:
It's that whole "I-gotta-go-to-work" thing that hangs me up.

Sounds like a great drive, but I can't take the time off.
Nobody ever died thinking "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time at work."

I'm in for the two-day drive:

1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)Gp2race
7) flaminio

:biggrin:

(yojack1: can you edit your OP? It says that we leave on Wednesday...)

Nobody ever died thinking "Gee, I wish I'd spent more time at work."

I'm in for the two-day drive:

1) yojack
2) 02#154
3) Mike C
4)Gp2race
7) flaminio

:biggrin:

(yojack1: can you edit your OP? It says that we leave on Wednesday...)

Bob we're glad that you're on board for the NSX ride of your life!

There is no EDIT box for me to click on so I need to contact LUD. Thanks!

Jack

Back