• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

OS Giken clutch noise

After adding a high boost SC, my OEM clutch didn't last long and I needed to upgrade to something that could handle the extra power. I ended up with OS Giken STR2C Twin Disc. It has great grip but makes a terrible noise when the clutch is depressed. Some people don't mind this but I do, so I'm looking for a replacement.

Can anyone recommend a clutch that:

1) can handle 460HP at the flywheel (e.g. not OEM)
2) is reliable (e.g. not SOS)
3) doesn't make noise when depressed (e.g. not Giken STR2C or maybe any dual disc?)
4) is available (e.g. not CT - they are no longer made and no one has them in stock)

Any suggestions/advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that. It is what has kept me from running high boost. I am on Oem clutch too. That sucks the ct is no longer available, I used to have one and it was great. I have interest in what people recommend here. I heard the Giken was the bees knees but also heard it is like having a ratchet clank in the transmission.:eek:
Why not swap to the Oem 2005 single disk?
Shad was telling me a few months ago to wait to upgrade my clutch as he was in the works of producing one. Not sure if he was serious or not but he did say the Giken was good. Just noisey. That is the trade off for non Oem it seems.

Last edited:
Try clutchmasters. I did a review on it here but ultimately switched to the OSG even despite the noise. It's really a great clutch in all other aspects imo

- - - Updated - - -

Be prepared to deal with chatter, etc. The CT was great except pedal pressure (subjective)

Thanks for the responses.

I see OSG makes 4 different clutches for the NSX. Does anyone know if the others are as noisy as the STR2C? e.g. is the R2CD (Dampened Twin Plate w/Floating Center Hub) version quieter?

Can anyone comment on clutch noise with the Exedy? I've read good reviews for for them though they don't mention noise specifically and don't include the model (it looks like there are 5 or more to choose from).

Last edited:
Any floating disc clutch will make noise. The OSG sounds like cowbells. The Exedy sounds the same but throw in grinding marbles. They both have a unique noise for some reason. In my experience the noise on the exedy is slightly louder but I like exedy also. $0.02

If you can find a non-floating clutch in either manufacturer you'll be good.

- - - Updated - - -

Also look up ACT or was it AST. Japanese brand. Haven't used them but the company is legit.

"If you can find a non-floating clutch in either manufacturer you'll be good."

Does anyone know if there are any?
Does twin disc always mean floating?
Does single disc always mean non floating?

- - - Updated - - -

"Also look up ACT or was it AST. Japanese brand. Haven't used them but the company is legit."

Thanks. I found:

http://www.proimporttuners.com/parts/acura/nsx-act-heavy-duty-clutch-kit.html

Can anyone comment from experience on the reliability and if they have noise issues?

Did you mean ACT or was it ATS you were thinking?:

http://www.ppi-ats.com/carbon_clutches/carbon_clutch.html

I believe you're right. My memory is vague on the ABC's exactly :)

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just get the SOS two disk one? Not many issues with the out there and they are proven to hold the power.
[MENTION=12356]Mac Attack[/MENTION] can probably help with the SOS twin carbon. I believe he's looking to change his SOS clutch.

The comptech is no longer made??

Any floating disc clutch will make noise. The OSG sounds like cowbells. The Exedy sounds the same but throw in grinding marbles. They both have a unique noise for some reason. In my experience the noise on the exedy is slightly louder but I like exedy also. $0.02

If you can find a non-floating clutch in either manufacturer you'll be good.

What about the Exedy Twin Organic 425 that SOS sells? I thought it was non-floating.

Not to sound like a dick, but the best option for you by FAR is to suck it up.The trade off versus the noise is a no brainer. Plus, your car is already loud being that it's boosted. Can't wait for mine to be installed, cause I really hate the OEM feel.

What about the Exedy Twin Organic 425 that SOS sells? I thought it was non-floating.

I am not up to speed on Exedy clutches but I'm sure [MENTION=4034]Coz[/MENTION] can help.

As [MENTION=27834]99problems[/MENTION] eluded to, the benefits of a floating disc far outweigh the negatives which is just noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. It's really a parking thing when parking the car ass first at Cars & Coffee :). I just tell them...yeah it's broken but ppl who really know, know...

All EXEDY twins are floating, it's the price you pay for a superior clutch of any kind.
As 99problems & Regan said, the benefits outweigh the negatives many times over, especially with the higher HP cars.
I sold Steven from iLift his EXEDY twin before the 2015 EXPO and he called me yesterday to thank me and tell we what a great choice it was and that he was very pleased that I convinced his to put it in the car. He loves it. Said it's easy to drive and has never had a better clutch. He changed over from the SOS 500 sport clutch is was having issues with. His car is also turbo'd.
One thing for sure, if you have a car that has higher HP, you're going to have to get over the fact that you will never have a clutch with OEM feel if you want it to last, and for the price Acura wants for OEM clutches, there far better choices out there. If your interested in buying an EXEDY, let me know. They are a sponsor of mine and I am a dealer for them with great pricing as well.

Last edited:
The comptech is no longer made??

Unfortunately, it's not. I've contacted CT directly about this. And the distributors all appear to drop ship so no one has it even if they list it on their sites. If anyone knows where I can find one, I'd appreciate the info.

- - - Updated - - -

If your interested in buying an EXEDY, let me know. They are a sponsor of mine and I am a dealer for them with great pricing as well.

Is there and Exedy single disc option that can handle 460HP at the flywheel?

- - - Updated - - -

Why not just get the SOS two disk one? Not many issues with the out there and they are proven to hold the power.

Do you mean the Exedy clutch SOS sells? I've read (and heard personally from drivers and mechanics) about many SOS brand clutch failures.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the pointer. Can anyone comment on whether it solves the noise issue?

Last edited:
Regarding the single EXEDY...Depends on your torq. The single is rated at 375 ft/lbs

Regarding the single EXEDY...Depends on your torq. The single is rated at 375 ft/lbs

My peak torque is 281 lbft at the wheels, so ~330 at the flywheel?

Is this the Exedy single disc clutch and kit required?
https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-racing-clutch/exedy-racing-hyper-single-series/hh04sd1/i-393024.aspx
https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-rac...r-series-accessory-kit/hcak102/i-2282052.aspx

Can anyone who has used this clutch verify that it doesn't have noise issues?

Last edited:
Yes...and Yes, you want the parts kit. I would never put a new clutch in without using a new pilot and release bearing.
The single is not going to rattle, there are no dual plate clutch disc's to rattle like there is in the twin.

I agree with Regan, in most cases, rattle or not, with power, your want the twin.

My peak torque is 281 lbft at the wheels, so ~330 at the flywheel?

Is this the Exedy single disc clutch and kit required?
https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-racing-clutch/exedy-racing-hyper-single-series/hh04sd1/i-393024.aspx
https://shop.exedyusa.com/exedy-rac...r-series-accessory-kit/hcak102/i-2282052.aspx

Can anyone who has used this clutch verify that it doesn't have noise issues?

Yes...and Yes, you want the parts kit. I would never put a new clutch in without using a new pilot and release bearing.
The single is not going to rattle, there are no dual plate clutch disc's to rattle like there is in the twin.

I agree with Regan, in most cases, rattle or not, with power, your want the twin.

Thanks. Anyone in Northern California using one of these single disc Exedy clutches? I'd really like to try it out before switching. Would be happy to let you try my OS Giken and buy you coffee/drink in exchange.

If it's true that all multi-disc clutches are floating and therefore make a rattling noise, does this mean that when McLaren F1 owner at stand still depresses their triple disc carbon clutch, that they hear this rattling noise? (engine noise aside) I watched a few F1 driving test videos and couldn't detect one.

Last edited:
In the thread linked below they say that the Exedy Twin Organic 425 makes zero noise during clutch release and it's a dual disc design. Sounds like the one to get if you want one that's stronger than stock yet you're concerned about noise.

I currently have the CT PG2. I love everything about it with the exception of its excessively heavy clutch pedal. Can anyone compare the Exedy Twin Organic to this clutch? Is the clutch pedal effort required with the Exedy far lower than that of the CT PG2?

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...sk-Organic-Clutch-for-the-1991-1996-Acura-NSX

Back