• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Oxygen Sensors - Install

Hello,

Planning to replace all oxygen sensors. I have checked many threads and get confused with which sensors to buy in order to replace. NGK and Denso seems to be most everyones reccomendation.

What are the part numbers on these O2 sensors?

Also what kind of tools should be used? O2 wrench has been mentioned, but what kind and size?

Anyone seen a thread that gives step by step instructions on how to replace? Maybe with pics?

On a scale 1 tof 10 how diffcult is the job as a DIYer?

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Stick with the Denso's. You can get them on amazon cheap.

I just did my rear O2 sensor(was getting a CEL and code for rear fuel system, Shad said that was likely the rear O2 sensor). It was a pain in the ass. I don't think you can even see the front one unless you take off the lower crossmember.

I bought an O2 wrench set. Worthless. The sockets spread apart and slip off.

I talked to Shad at Driving Ambitions and he said to use a 6 point box end wrench(22mm) and then hook another long box end wrench on the end to get more leverage. First soak the manifold/O2 sensor mating surface/heat shield bolts with PB Blaster overnight. Remove the heat shield on the exhaust manifold. You will also need to remove the pins from the connector so that you can slip the wrench over the end. Start engine up and let it run for 2-3 mins. Then shut it off. Get the wrenches on there and use a sharp motion to break it free. Install new sensor and heat shield. Plug in connector and make sure the wire is tucked into the metal holders and away from the exhaust.

I'd rate this at about a 6 or 7 out of 10 for PITA'ness not difficulty. Maybe an 8 if you have to do multiple sensors.

Last edited:
I have a 98. Stock exhaust. I am really thinking of doing the job myself. I have been quoted anywhere from 300 to 700 dollars. Yikes!!!

Brad and Edinkali sounds like you have done this before. May I contact you foor help?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hello junior40er,

Sounds like you have done this job too. May I contact you to figure out the install? I can PM and then workout details offline.

Thanks,
Jeff

A pic of my 02 tool I got from auto zone that shows size you need.
IMG_20120726_235928.jpg

Thanks junior40er.

I will be heading out tomorrow to go pick up the tool. Does the O2 socket fit on any regular torque wrench? Or do I need a regular wrench?

Thanks

Looks simple enough. I plan to pick up the parts and O2 wrench this weekend. I will try to purchase the Denso or NGT O2 sensors over the internet unless I can find a place locally here in Washington State.

I will give you a call when I have everything for help.

Thanks a lot to everyone that has been helping provide advice. I will update everyone with the final results.

Jeff

No PB Blaster yet. I have access to a lift and will bring all parts and tools to the shop. I plan on starting the job hopefully as soon as the O2 sensors arrive i the mail.

Thanks

Hello my name ia Darcy. I'm a member of nsz prime. I waa hoping someone could tell mw were 02 bank 2 oxygen sensor is located

- - - Updated - - -

I apologise for my typing errors . I'm in need of new glasses please help me with original question

- - - Updated - - -

I apologise for my typing errors . I'm in need of new glasses please help me with original question

Bank 2 Sensors 2 the the front bank (cylinders 4,5,6) and it is the sensor AFTER the cat.

Generally speaking, 'Bank 1' is always the side where the #1 cyl is so on our NSX, it's the 'Rear' bank.
'Sensor 1' is also described as Primary/Before CAT/Upper stream/etc.

So, P0133 is for the Rear Bank Primary (before CAT) O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor cable length depends on the country spec, year model and NA1/NA2 engine spec.

From your signature and avatar, it seems that your NSX is 2002, Acura US model.
If your NSX is US 00+ model and the eng is NA2 with the OEM header (as per your diagram above), then you need the parts #10: 36532-PBY-003.

If you are in US, you can get hold of Denso or NTK/NGK O2 sensor at very competitive price compared to the OEM one.
OEM O2 sensor is from Denso and NTK is also widely used by many car manufactures and race teams.

Kaz

Last edited:
Generally speaking, 'Bank 1' is always the side where the #1 cyl is so on our NSX, it's the 'Rear' bank.
'Sensor 1' is also described as Primary/Before CAT/Upper stream/etc.

So, P0133 is for the Rear Bank Primary (before CAT) O2 sensor.

The O2 sensor cable length depends on the country spec, year model and NA1/NA2 engine spec.

From your signature and avatar, it seems that your NSX is 2002, Acura US model.
If your NSX is US 00+ model and the eng is NA2 with the OEM header (as per your diagram above), then you need the parts #10: 36532-PBY-003.

If you are in US, you can get hold of Denso or NTK/NGK O2 sensor at very competitive price compared to the OEM one.
OEM O2 sensor is from Denso and NTK is also widely used by many car manufactures and race teams.

Kaz

Hi Kaz,

Thank you for the useful information, yes you're analysis is correct in that my car is a USDM 2002. Okay that helps a lot and gives me some direction here. :)

Ira

Bump an old thread. Just want to say this was extremely helpful. Thank you all who contributed if you’re still around. I bought the NTK 02 secondary sensors (pair) from science of speed, paid $14 for an autozone O2 sensor socket and got it all done. I was getting a P0141 Bank 1 Secondary sensor code on my 05. I went ahead and changed both secondaries out and literally took me 10 mins each. I think I took longer getting the car jacked up. Forums still serve their purposes compared to Facebook.

Bump an old thread. Just want to say this was extremely helpful. Thank you all who contributed if you’re still around. I bought the NTK 02 secondary sensors (pair) from science of speed, paid $14 for an autozone O2 sensor socket and got it all done. I was getting a P0141 Bank 1 Secondary sensor code on my 05. I went ahead and changed both secondaries out and literally took me 10 mins each. I think I took longer getting the car jacked up. Forums still serve their purposes compared to Facebook.

Indeed..don't be a stranger. I know some folks don't get the jolly's posting on car sites and just use them for info..but we have a unique membership with specific skill sets...:cool:

I went ahead and changed both secondaries out and literally took me 10 mins each. I think I took longer getting the car jacked up. Forums still serve their purposes compared to Facebook.

Resurrecting old threads can be helpful because there are lots of new owners who are unaware of a lot of these issues.

I can also guarantee that if you ever have to do the primary sensors it will be more than 10 min each :smile: .

Resurrecting old threads can be helpful because there are lots of new owners who are unaware of a lot of these issues.

I can also guarantee that if you ever have to do the primary sensors it will be more than 10 min each :smile: .

oh yeah I got a good look at the primaries. My car only has 47k miles so here’s hoping they stay good for awhile, but from what I’ve read it’s a matter of time.

Back