• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ozone's 2004 RY Build

I bought a 2004 NSX about 4 years ago and left it relatively stock. I did a few modifications--DF side skirts, lip and diffusor; and a S2K antenna over the course of that time (car came with CT Headers). I really enjoyed the look and feel of a stock NSX so I decided to keep it that way for a few years. I wanted to drive it the way it was meant out of the box, before tinkering with it. Also, I don't have a history of modifying cars aside from a few things I've done myself to tweak my M3.

So this year, I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade the car--and I just got it back a couple weeks ago.

The car was serviced and upgraded at Daisy Import Autos in Woodbine MD, run by Prime member Ben Schaeffer. I did careful research online over Prime and he was the closest NSX shop to me that could do what I wanted (and was recommended to me by SOS). I contacted Larry B (4 hour drive), who was my initial choice due to his stellar rep, but he didn't do tuning. So I opted to take it to Maryland (6 hour drive). All the other large, reputable NSX shops that I found were further or primarily on the West Coast. The decision was largely made by reviews on Prime, as I never heard of or met Ben before.

The initial plan was to do servicing and then the modifications. I drove the car down to Ben in late March and was comfortable with the fact that he knew the NSX cold, and was fastidious about taking care of it (in a good way). From the onset, he started treating the car as if it was his own. The TB/WP were the first things due. Also, upon initial inspection, there were a few things that I didn't know of--a leaking clutch which required replacement, a torn/missing fender liner and then a few more items that needed to be fixed like targa seals.

In terms of modification, I finally decided to supercharge it (I started a couple of threads on Prime long ago) and picked SOS over CTSC. This was a very difficult decision. The extra power and solid reputation of SOS made me lean towards it. It did add a layer of complication of requiring a tune. I also got Stoptech BBK's for stopping the additional power, as well as the look (I won't lie). Then as the process got rolling, I decided to get new rims, the vaunted Model 5's--18/19 combo. I was a bit leery of going that large after how some swear by 17/18 being the best handling (18/19's are actually quite fine). New rims kind of pushed us towards getting a new suspension, so Ben was able to source the Zanardi's. One of the things that I really wanted was a modernized console, so I ordered the Kenwood DNX6190 system which adds many things--GPS, iPhone integration, XM radio, backup camera, etc. This necessitated re-doing the interior by means of modifying a SOS console replacement, lots of wiring, moving the 12V adapter, and allowed us to add boost gauges.

In terms of the exterior, the DF parts that were on already, were not done well by a local body shop. The lip was actually defective (didn't fit) and the side skirt's painting had been shoddy and poorly fitted. So we got a new lip and the side skirts were re-done. I had a DF diffusor so we decided to get the R-style spoiler to balance the look, and give it the aggressive appearance it deserved.

One of the other things, of course with the SC, was adding an exhaust, so I decided to go with Comptech (already had the headers). Also, went with the Comptech intake. At this point, I'm sure I am forgetting some things but as you can see this turned into quite a restore/build.

The project ended up taking 8 months. This was far longer than anybody had wanted but there were a multitude of reasons. Without getting into specifics, there were part delays, decisions to add new items, defective items that needed replacement, fabrication delays, storms/power outages and then just traditional delay. No doubt, there were ups and downs but after some frustrations, I learned to be patient. I really believe that everything happens for a good reason. I could have been in a bad wreck driving the NSX if I had it last summer or something--but again that's just my personal spin/system of beliefs. Perspective is key. I ended up thoroughly enjoying to drive my LSB E46 M3 over the past year--a car which has always been a favorite of mine.

The project ended up being far pricier and larger than I envisioned. Similar to what Turbo2Go has alluded to in other threads, the total cost of NSX +mods could probably rival a used exotic like a Gallardo. However, the Gallardo (a car I really like and respect) isn't an undercover assassin or a part of automotive history. The NSX is truly unique and post-cosmetic mods it gains more attention than ever. I have had random cars chasing me down to make movies, take pictures, etc. The process of getting the NSX to completion was a long journey and I would like to thank some people who helped me along the way:

Ben Schaeffer/Daisy Auto - I found somebody who I could trust with the project. Somebody who would always put me and my NSX's best interests, first. Ben delivered an amazing product--a beautiful looking car that was well-sorted mechanically. At his shop, the car always slept inside and was babied as all NSX's deserve to be. I was never afraid that it was being abused or in a chop shop. Ben is a perfectionist and that is exactly what I wanted/needed for my car. So it was worth the extra time, because nothing else would be satisfactory for me. The car now runs beautifully on the Zanardi suspension. I realize that modifications change the characteristics of the car, but everything is firmly planted. I have not yet felt any issues regarding control or stability. In fact, I feel I have better control than before which is reassuring given all the extra power. We made sure this NSX was done right and did not cut any corners. The project did not come cheap (as you can see all the stuff done) but Ben did throw in a lot of extras for me--upgraded tires (over initial selection), new rear view mirror, and more. And due to the long delays (most of which were not Ben's fault or in his control), he made a great gesture and has given me a very generous credit at his shop for future use. I would strongly recommend Ben to anybody looking for quality care of their NSX. I believe this is one of the largest NSX projects he's undertaken and I can tell you the car is awesome. And if I have any issues, I know he's going to take care of them.

Chris, Brian & Team SOS - the SOS SC is a beast. You can get arrested in 2nd gear. It's a great benefit of the NSX community to have leaders like SOS who produce quality products and care about the consumer. Chris was helpful along some bumps in the road and in one instance we had a piece that wasn't needed--and he provided a prompt refund. Many of the parts were sourced from SOS and I feel like I can call them up and get help any time. The car dyno'd around 360 rwhp during testing. Our goal was a reliable, safe tune that meets emissions. Reading on Prime, I think there's room to squeeze more power out of it with a more aggressive tune if/when I become more power hungry. The extra power is great and I think Batmans has said "dun have to downshift". Although, I live on traffic free roads that traverse hills and lakes so downshifting is fun.

Tae - did the interior console work that would house the new double-din Nav unit, boost gauges, etc. He was a perfectionist and the quality shows. The paint color is amazing and met my requirements of a real OEM type look.

Angus - purchased Stoptech BBK from him. Angus helped me obtain a custom blue color to the BBK which I did not see available anywhere else and for a great price too.

nsx01tc (Chris) - I bought the set of 18/19 Model 5 rims from him. He is always accessible. 2 of the rims were not to our satisfaction and Chris was honorable in exchanging them for another pair which he sourced from Japan. Ben had the rims refinished at a fine shop in Maryland to perfection. Chris is actually getting me the proper fitting center caps right now for the rims.

dowzerdawg - fellow Prime member who answered my questions regarding SOS SC and its ability to pass NYS inspections (which it did). He also offered for me to come down and take his car for a spin. I wasn't able to due to distance but his offer was appreciated.

Larry B - It would have been an honor and privelege to have him work on my NSX but I ended up going with a SC that required a tuner so I didn't use his services. But all his input was appreciated and would not hesiitate for him to do his magic.

Shad/Driving Ambition - helped answer my questions when I was researching SC's and gave great advice. They had no financial incentives or gain. Just a nicety of one NSX owner to another.

NSX Prime Community - I would like to thank everybody on here who took the time to answer my questions. I would also like to curse you all for helping inspire me to burn a hole in my bank account.

Finally, I never consider myself a "mod guy", but I'm happy with turning this NSX into my vision of what I want it to be with the help and guidance of all above. I see a lot of threads where members chime in to "keep it stock" and that's fine. It's their opinion. However for those getting into NSX's or those that have them and are on the fence about making changes, I would say this: the NSX is you canvas, paint it the way you want.

Here are a few pictures (sorry, no photo shoot yet). Even my dad who is old school (drives a E39 M5) really liked the look and sent a bunch of pictures out to others.

photo.jpgphoto.jpgphoto (2).jpgphoto (1).jpg

Last edited:
Love it ! Does the console paint match the old paint ? That paint is very hard to duplicate due to the chrome plated base.

Awesome build, how do you liek the car now. I bet its bad ass.

except..... the out of place GPS antenne on the dash. did you know you can have it almost anywhere in the car and it will stil work. doesnt even need to " line of sight " to the sky.
I would say even in the glovebox it would work correctly.

but I am always wrong and will be proven with some tech manuals, and quotes from service manuals so take it with a grain of salt since mine works perfetly fine

nice build I could only wish I had an SC

@ brandonsan I was wrong. Actually the side overlays are still OEM. The console is more a matte finish. It's done quite professionally though so it gives a factory feel.

@shawn I didn't know about the GPS, thanks for the tip. I may get to that at some point but right now it's not really bothering me. It almost feels like a new car--modernized interior (yet still simple), and modern power/looks.

Last edited:

except..... the out of place GPS antenne on the dash. did you know you can have it almost anywhere in the car and it will stil work. doesnt even need to " line of sight " to the sky.

but I am always wrong and will be proven with some tech manuals, and quotes from service manuals so take it with a grain of salt since mine works perfetly fine

Shawn,

You are correct as long as the antenna sight isn't blocked by some sort of metal.

- - - Updated - - -

Shawn,

You are correct as long as the antenna sight isn't blocked by some sort of metal.

- - - Updated - - -

@ brandonsan I was wrong. Actually the side overlays are still OEM. The console is more a matte finish. It's done quite professionally though so it gives a factory feel.

@shawn I didn't know about the GPS, thanks for the tip. I may get to that at some point but right now it's not really bothering me. It almost feels like a new car--modernized interior (yet still simple), and modern power/looks.

Ok thanks for letting me know. I have been thinking about doing something different with my console but I want the paint to look like it is OEM.

Great Looking car, and very tastefully modded. Good Job!!

I'm planning to DD the car this year (or something close to it). I had a question about weight savings vs balance. I accept that I have altered the OEM balance of the car but most of my mods have been symmetric in terms of weight: rims, BBK, side skirts, etc. I've lost some weight by Comptech parts and added some by the blower.

I've been thinking of removing the spare because it's no longer of use (won't fit over BBK) and for the additional weight savings. However, by tinkering more with things, am I further upsetting the balance and driving dynamics of the car? I don't really need to remove the tire either--I'm not building a track car. Do you guys consider balance when putting your car on a diet or should I just ditch the spare and not overthink it?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365957110.770785.jpg

Last edited:
We're almost twins except I'm spa. Really digging the M5's!

Wow, great build. I never thought you would mod this car. I had to actually do a double take.

Wow, great build. I never thought you would mod this car. I had to actually do a double take.

I wanted the OEM experience for a few years. Then I caught the mod bug and it emptied my wallet.

I just have a couple small things to take care of before taking some better pics.

It's been awhile but I decided to do some exterior changes. I swapped the DF FRP diffusor for the Difflow. I think it looks better although I wish it was flush with the rear valence. Just a matter of getting used to it.

I swapped out a color matched DF lip for a painted black JP eBay replica polyurethane.

Additionally, I added painted black DF side splitters to the DF Stacy side skirts.

8f7c3ac9332c9153253e9fb47d3e3211.jpg
448a136666db2f8cca3461dfe27b1188.jpg
8df8a5148e92b4fed99520067e00d752.jpg
f140dabe00397f912109d7d38b7c3468.jpg
45e59bbe1f3db0fee12166a9b5a505ee.jpg
cc858b0bce5de4b1a90f7e05f013e051.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back