• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

P0420 code - SOS downpipes & Fabspeed Cat Back exhaust

I have used safelight a number of times in the past for several cars. They are generally very experienced. When I replaced the windshield on my 2001 NSX, I requested only an OEM windshield. They asked my insurance company who approved the request.
As stated above, with limited production, I doubt that there is an aftermarket windshield. You can ask that they verify.

Also Safelight was good about making sure they had what ever seals or other parts were needed, not just the windshield. Also they preferred that I brought the car in to their facility so that more than one person was available to remove the old and set the new one. I was very pleased. I recommend that you replace rather then live with a lot of chips in the windshield. New glass dramatically improves the driving experience.
I asked them and they offered me the 500 bucks for the oee (or aftermarket equivalent) and then the 2.5k OEM glass. So I was wondering if I should get the OEE and save a few bucks over the OEM. I do agree about improving the driving experience. First is first tho.... Fixing the emissions problem

You can go for the OEE, if they agree that any distortion will result in a replacement. If someone is making the OEE, I suspect that they are not making a lot of them. Also would think that they would pay attention to quality. Also verify that any seals or other parts that are damaged during removal will be replaced with new OEM parts. Then I think you are good to go.

For what it's worth, my issue seems to have resolved itself.

Codes last appeared back in January. No codes over the last 5 months, 472 miles, and a few tanks of gas.

Maybe temperature is a factor? I guess I'll find out next winter.

Here's a video of what it sounds like:

For what it's worth, my issue seems to have resolved itself.

Codes last appeared back in January. No codes over the last 5 months, 472 miles, and a few tanks of gas.

Maybe temperature is a factor? I guess I'll find out next winter.

Here's a video of what it sounds like:
I ordered the downpipes from SOS about a month ago. They havent shipped yet since they are made to order. Since then... The codes went away for about 2 weeks.... Then they came back yesterday. It seems that it could be true about the temps. Who knows. Sometime I feel that my car has a mind of its own

I JUST passed emissions with my car. I haven’t had the codes return yet. As well as two other cars that have had the same issue as well. Since I put extenders on 2 other NC1’s and my own. So far so good. During the same conditions when the cars would’ve normally set the P0420 and/or P0430 codes have not happened since the installs dating from back to November 2022. I’m just giving my personal experience with the extenders so far.
For several years now I wondered if the SOS downpipes would pass smog. For me this is the first time I have heard that they pass smog. Great news, otherwise I would have to remove them and replace with stock downpipes. I recall asking Chris at SOS whether they would pass smog. No one knew at the time. Great News!

For several years now I wondered if the SOS downpipes would pass smog. For me this is the first time I have heard that they pass smog. Great news, otherwise I would have to remove them and replace with stock downpipes. I recall asking Chris at SOS whether they would pass smog. No one knew at the time. Great News!
Note: the car passed because I put on the extenders so the check engine light wouldn’t return on my car. Once the P0420/P0430 lights are on and the car is in limp mode It’ll obviously fail.

So with the extenders in the ECU will make corrections as needed so the car does pass emissions with sos downpipes. Also another NC1 with SOS downpipes who had the same codes had failed emissions. I installed his extenders and he passed his Emissions return test after the extenders were installed.

Note: the car passed because I put on the extenders so the check engine light wouldn’t return on my car. Once the P0420/P0430 lights are on and the car is in limp mode It’ll obviously fail.

So with the extenders in the ECU will make corrections as needed so the car does pass emissions with sos downpipes. Also another NC1 with SOS downpipes who had the same codes had failed emissions. I installed his extenders and he passed his Emissions return test after the extenders were installed.
.... I bought the SOS downpipes so that I won't get the codes.... U telling me that I'm still gonna get codes... Man... What the f.......

Last edited:
.... I bought the SOS downpipes so that I won't get the codes.... U telling me that I'm still gonna get codes... Man... What the f.......
The entire thread is about people with the SOS downpipes and the P0420 and P0430 converter codes for each bank. NOT every car has the codes but it’s not at all uncommon to get the codes. The 02 sensor extenders are a good option to keep the downpipes and rid yourself of the codes IF you have them.

The entire thread is about people with the SOS downpipes and the P0420 and P0430 converter codes for each bank. NOT every car has the codes but it’s not at all uncommon to get the codes. The 02 sensor extenders are a good option to keep the downpipes and rid yourself of the codes IF you have them.
Ohh well... Ima try em.... See what happens. Thx

Just a few minutes after starting the car and hitting the highway, I got simultaneous warnings on the dash. Emissions System Problem and Electronic Parking Brake Problem.

Dealer said it had a P0420 code for the catalytic converter. The car is under warranty, but due to the aftermarket items, they cleared the codes as a courtesy and said I'm on my own. I was hoping they would do more or replace something since Google shows lots of Acura and Honda owners hitting these same two warnings at the same time.

I've had the car for 2 months / 400 miles, and this is the first time it complained. The previous owner had the parts installed at their local Acura dealer, so I suspect it was all done properly. I like the sound and would rather keep things as-is if it's just a warning. No emissions requirements where I live.

Should I just invest in an OBD2 tool and clear this code anytime it shows? Any other recommendations? Thanks!
hey there. Which dealer did you take it to? Im having exact same issue. THanks!

I'm actually getting the downpipes changed with the new SOS catted pipes. Apperently the ones I had before are the same ones I installed so I think that the previous owner poisoned the old catted pipes by using the meth injectors. Only time will tell if the new ones are going to give me the codes again. Hopefully the car doesn't end up being a money pit

I'm actually getting the downpipes changed with the new SOS catted pipes. Apperently the ones I had before are the same ones I installed so I think that the previous owner poisoned the old catted pipes by using the meth injectors. Only time will tell if the new ones are going to give me the codes again. Hopefully the car doesn't end up being a money pit
ok. I was able to find this bulletin. I wonder if this is my issue. I hope so lol

Attachments

• nsx P0455.pdf
    88.3 KB · Views: 17
ok. I was able to find this bulletin. I wonder if this is my issue. I hope so lol
That's a different code. It's not the p0420. I it's just the exhaust system. The ecu of this car it's pretty smart. The only solution I have found thus far on the web it's the Fabspeed O2 extenders. Like I said if I get the codes again with these new pipes without running meth kit, then my next thing will be to buy these O2 extenders. If everything else fails.. Then....

That's a different code. It's not the p0420. I it's just the exhaust system. The ecu of this car it's pretty smart. The only solution I have found thus far on the web it's the Fabspeed O2 extenders. Like I said if I get the codes again with these new pipes without running meth kit, then my next thing will be to buy these O2 extenders. If everything else fails.. Then....
ah ok thank you

OK so quick update. I picked up my car from the shop. Codes are gone after installing SOS catted downpipe. So far so good. I did noticed a little loss in power.... Barely noticeable. But codes gone. So I'm happy with my setup. I'll keep u guys updated

I am surprised about the loss of power. Could be the ECU is in learning mode? Give it a few miles and see if that is still the case. The SOS downpipes are said to allow 100% improvement in air throughput. I suspect that with reduced back pressure comes a loss of torque. There is a fellow who drives his car at the drag strip and was running the JB4 with stock downpipes. He reported some impressive runs.

OK quick update boys... I've erased the codes to give the car the benefit of the doubt and...... They are back with vengeance! Yay! I feel like I wasted 5k and burned them plus the money I have thrown to this money pit of a car! Feels worst than a used up sex doll! Let's see what I'm gonna do next. Just wanted to let u guys know that SOS downpipes (which are catted and been told that will eliminate the codes) spectacularly failed! Either buy the OEM ones to solve the problem or just keep looking at your Christmas tree 😊👍

I went back through this entire thread looking at your inputs and comments. Sorry that the codes came back, that is a real bummer. From what I have read, you have a new battery which eliminates a lot of crazy codes. You replaced the old SOS downpipes with new ones which should have fixed the emission codes from throwing. You have plugged the meth injection system back on so that you could turn it off properly. Unfortunately you are still throwing emission codes. My car has had the SOS downpipes for at least 12,000 miles and never a code. That aside what are we left with.

I doubt that the previous owner purchased a meth system without also purchasing the JB4 unit. It makes no sense. The meth system gives your car the sensation of running high octane fuel by cooling the combustion and allowing more advanced timing resulting in more power less pinging or detonation. So the stock car can not benefit from the high like octane fuel unless something is adjusting engine perimeters. Thus the car probably has/had the JB4 installed. It takes hours to install, so I doubt anyone removed it. What is it set for? Check to see if it is still there.
the other thing that can happen is that you poisoned the sensors on the downpipes. The way that the sensors work is there are measurements taken for the first sensor closest to the engine then that is compared to the sensor’s result furthest from the engine. That tells the system that the cats are working.
So I recommend that you check for the JB4 and if it is there then what is the setting. If not there then check, the sensors. If the use of octane booster and meth poisoned the cats they most certainly poisoned the sensors on the cats. I know it is not fun, but this is not a poltergeist. Use the scientific process to identify the source of the problem.

Also, when erasing codes, verify they are gone by checking for error codes again after erasing them. Then I recommend you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then hook up again. The car will go through a relearning mode. That way you are starting from a clean slate. I suspect the Oxygen Sensors were contaminated and are therefore causing the system to throw the emission codes. Keep us advised. You are almost there.

Last edited:
I went back through this entire thread looking at your inputs and comments. Sorry that the codes came back, that is a real bummer. From what I have read, you have a new battery which eliminates a lot of crazy codes. You replaced the old SOS downpipes with new ones which should have fixed the emission codes from throwing. You have plugged the meth injection system back on so that you could turn it off properly. Unfortunately you are still throwing emission codes. My car has had the SOS downpipes for at least 12,000 miles and never a code. That aside what are we left with.

I doubt that the previous owner purchased a meth system without also purchasing the JB4 unit. It makes no sense. The meth system gives your car the sensation of running high octane fuel by cooling the combustion and allowing more advanced timing resulting in more power less pinging or detonation. So the stock car can not benefit from the high like octane fuel unless something is adjusting engine perimeters. Thus the car probably has/had the JB4 installed. It takes hours to install, so I doubt anyone removed it. What is it set for? Check to see if it is still there.
the other thing that can happen is that you poisoned the sensors on the downpipes. The way that the sensors work is there are measurements taken for the first sensor closest to the engine then that is compared to the sensor’s result furthest from the engine. That tells the system that the cats are working.
So I recommend that you check for the JB4 and if it is there then what is the setting. If not there then check, the sensors. If the use of octane booster and meth poisoned the cats they most certainly poisoned the sensors on the cats. I know it is not fun, but this is not a poltergeist. Use the scientific process to identify the source of the problem.

Also, when erasing codes, verify they are gone by checking for error codes again after erasing them. Then I recommend you disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and then hook up again. The car will go through a relearning mode. That way you are starting from a clean slate. I suspect the Oxygen Sensors were contaminated and are therefore causing the system to throw the emission codes. Keep us advised. You are almost there.
I've checked a few Months back to see if the car had the JB4 module installed and I couldn't find it. I guess I'll try again D remover all the covers on the engine bay and see if it's there. I have seen videos about how they install the JB4 and there are obvious spots that one can check to see if the car has the JB4. My last resort is to remover the passengers side engine cover completely and check underneath; since, this is where people usually install the module. As for the O2 sensors; I ve I stalled new ones, 2 of them for be precise, for each bank. So that eliminates the possibility of a damaged or poisoned O2 sensor. The only option would be for me to clear the codes, unplug the battery like you said and wait 10 mins. Let's see what happens. Otherwise.... I think that this car has some major issue other than the cats. Funny thing is that I use the OBDII reader and it only shows P0420 and P0430 for each bank (left and right respectably.) so I'm running out of options. I don't care about passing emissions to tell you the truth. I just want those damn codes to be gone cuz they are annoying. Plus if I leave it as is, I won't be able to tell if the engine has an actual Real problem in the future just because I keep ignoring it. As we all aware, if the is a real problem and engine goes bad.... I might have to sell a kidney to fix it. So I would like to prevent all of this from happen in the future. Man... I really like this car... It was my dream car. Really worked hard for it.. I feel very disillusioned. 🙁

Here's a free and easy way to determine if your car has a JB4! Download a bluetooth scanner on your phone, turn on the ignition, and look for "JB4" in the list of nearby devices. Mine shows as "JB4 R36" which I guess means revision 3.6. The free iOS app I used is called Wunderfind.

I didn't even realize my car had it. The previous owner was really into performance, but I figured the JB4 would have been removed and sold before trade-in. Thanks to @drmanny3 for the tip about JB4 being impractical to remove. Now I can fork out $28 for the JB4 Mobile app with peace-of-mind that the car actually has the box installed :)

OK I will try that. Thank you. I cleared the codes and unplug battery for more than 10 mins. Let's se what happens. I'll keep u guys posted

Back