• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Paint and Body Shop guys, give me your opinion

I got my car back from getting the new bumper. I am very unhappy with the results.

IMG00007.jpg

What are you opinions?

I would've been unhappy simply because it's a Corvette.

Please keep your smart ass comments out of the thread. I am trying to get valid opinions. You are not helping.

Last edited:
Its the wrong shade and the paint is not a smooth. The smoothness could be fixed with a good wet sand and buff. But that will not fix the fact its darker then the rest of the car.

I would not accept that.

The plastic is always going to be a different shade than the rest of the car. Is the back bumper cover plastic and the rear fender fiberglass?

Hard to tell from that pic.

The plastic is always going to be a different shade than the rest of the car. Is the back bumper cover plastic and the rear fender fiberglass?

Hard to tell from that pic.

I think it is all the same thing. The original bumper was a perfect match.

Its the wrong shade and the paint is not a smooth. The smoothness could be fixed with a good wet sand and buff. But that will not fix the fact its darker then the rest of the car.

I would not accept that.

Thanks. I am going back to them to get it corrected. They want to blend the panels now. I said like hell. Get the color close before you do anything else.

The plastic is always going to be a different shade than the rest of the car.

No offense intended but I couldn't disagree with this statement more.

A good paint and body shop can and should match paint perfectly. The orange peel alone in that picture is frightening, never mind the two completely different shades of color.

I would not accept that work. And I certainly wouldn't let them start "blending" anything.

I have blended plenty of cars one of this color on the same vette style. The rear bumper from the factory was sprayed all the same time letting it flash, cure etc at the same time. Matching color directly by following a paint code is not always going to net you the same shade, sometimes (most of the time) it will be off. I found cheap paint can also have diff shades. Ambient temperature can also play a part of this but overall the orange peel can be reduced to the vettes factory look and the shade can be done but from this stand point will have to be blended unless they redo the whole entire rear and start over again. Your chances of it becoming lighter or the same is still a large percentage. I only say this because it is darker in shade ,hence if it was a lighter shade than the factory this could be done with a skilled painter to make it darker to get as close as possible but never 100% exact. Key factors in looking at getting a certain panel with definate lines resprayed:

- age of the paint
- color
- brand (aftermarket)
- prep (primer/sealer color) depending on color
- and the biggy the Painter him/herself

See what your painter can manipulate for you. Worst case they will either redo the whole rear starting from lighter and going shades darker till it matches or blending your panels which it seem you or anyone would try to avoid.

Hope this helps.

gil

Dont worry about the vette comments I have one aswell.:wink:

Thanks. I am going back to them to get it corrected. They want to blend the panels now. I said like hell. Get the color close before you do anything else.
IMO, just let them blend it. If the shop is competent, they can blend the quarters and trunk and be done with it. Why keep messing with the color, trying to get it as close as possible to "butt match" it. It'll never be perfect if you butt match it.

I'm wondering why they didn't blend the panels in the first place. Did you specify to not blend? Also, the orange peel is a little bad. It doesn't seem to match the texture on the quarter panel. Just make sure the shop is competent. Having to keep redoing the job to make it pass shows imcompetence and just makes it a bigger mess. Do it right the first time.

Last edited:

A good paint and body shop can and should match paint perfectly. The orange peel alone in that picture is frightening, never mind the two completely different shades of color.

I would not accept that work. And I certainly wouldn't let them start "blending" anything.
No matter how good the body shop is, there is no such thing as a "perfect match". Any time you have a new panel, you must blend color to all adjacent panels in order for it to match. There is no way you can "butt match" a new panel.

Also, take note of many cars out there. Most times the plastic parts, bumpers, mirrors, moldings, door handles, etc, are a different shade than the metal panels. Most times owners don't even notice this, until they have to get that part repainted, then they start nitpicking and saying it doesn't match, when it never did match in the first place. I'm not saying this is the case with the Corvette, but I'm just giving an example.

Everyone knows that no matter what it can't, I heard, a friend of mine and once and that's that because they don't and never will, if it was me and I were you.:rolleyes:

peanuts.png

Another option is to find an OEM bumper from a junkyard, or vette forum with same color or try ebay, then you have no paint work.

I have to agree with Da Hapa. Having said that, your choices may be to accept something not as perfectly matched as the factory rear bumper or let them blend and polish. I urge you not to let them blend and polish. Once they start that there is no going back. I would have them get the color as close as possible and work on the orange peel to match the factory finish.

Last edited:
Everyone knows that no matter what it can't, I heard, a friend of mine and once and that's that because they don't and never will, if it was me and I were you.:rolleyes:

peanuts.png

Pass the bong Joe!! Dave you have to expect some vette ribing! Before you get too wound up the flexable bumper covers when painted can look quite disturbing in different light/angles.

Isn't the rear bumper urethane and the rear quarter fiberglass? That might explain the color difference. Regardless, that orange peel is horrible.

it should match...take it back.... mine is not 100% either but i dont have time to play with it right now......

IMO, just let them blend it. If the shop is competent, they can blend the quarters and trunk and be done with it. Why keep messing with the color, trying to get it as close as possible to "butt match" it. It'll never be perfect if you butt match it.

I'm wondering why they didn't blend the panels in the first place. Did you specify to not blend? Also, the orange peel is a little bad. It doesn't seem to match the texture on the quarter panel. Just make sure the shop is competent. Having to keep redoing the job to make it pass shows imcompetence and just makes it a bigger mess. Do it right the first time.

Originally they had quoted a blend in the panels. Then they called and said they didn't need to blend because it was very close. I don't mind a blend, but I want the final color to be closer to what it should be.

I compared my car to a factory car with no paint work and the factory bumper is exactly the same color.

As for mentioning the color from different angles, it is noticeable off from all angles.

Thanks for the good advice everyone..

It may looked matched now give it some time it will never look the same you will be able to see a difference in a years time. I suggest finding the same color OEM rear bumper cover.

Back