• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Painted my engine

If you like it, that's all that matters!

Just not sure about painting the flexible fuel line, foam PCV line, and coolant tank overflow. That will probably crack pretty early.

You can also polish the alternator for free!

Dave

Last edited:
I'm in no way an "old fart" and I realized a rattle can doesn't make any car custom :biggrin:

I'm telling my self this:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGt9jAkWie4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nGt9jAkWie4?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Here are a few pics that show the engine better as well as the car in general. It's amazing how well 3m car wrap vinyl holds up. The pipes are wrapped in matte black excluding the edge of the chrome tips. The Honda logo and Vtec is also matte black vinyl laid on top of the 3/d letters on the engine.
I like it but I am skeptical of how well the paint on the engine parts will hold up but only time will tell. I also would like to prime and paint the coolant tank black or purchase a black tank if they are available???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/unitednsx

The Honda logo and Vtec is also matte black vinyl laid on top of the 3/d letters on the engine.
I like it but I am skeptical of how well the paint on the engine parts will hold up but only time will tell.

Once you get that engine nice and hot you likely will find that the paint will probably hold up better than the vinyl tape, especially if the paint is a higher temp heat paint. High heat paint has less hardener/activator and uses the high surface temp to cure it.

I see the wrapping of cars is a service your sign company offers. What do you charge for a wrap like you did to the outside of your NSX?

Once you get that engine nice and hot you likely will find that the paint will probably hold up better than the vinyl tape, especially if the paint is a higher temp heat paint. High heat paint has less hardener/activator and uses the high surface temp to cure it.

I see the wrapping of cars is a service your sign company offers. What do you charge for a wrap like you did to the outside of your NSX?

Time will tell but I agree, I can't imagine the vinyl holding up as well in the engine compartment due to the high heat. This is why I only applied a couple of small pieces.
As for full wraps - rather matte black, matte white or full color they typically run @ $1,500.00. We don't market them as a solution to a paint job as its just too hard to try to cover the I side if the door jams, trunk etc.
We really market them as a way to do something different from the norm to the exterior although I wrapped my complete center console and door handles inside the cabin with silver carbon fiber and it looks great and has held up very well.

As for full wraps - rather matte black, matte white or full color they typically run @ $1,500.00. We don't market them as a solution to a paint job as its just too hard to try to cover the I side if the door jams, trunk etc.

I am assuming you would charge considerably more for a wrap that you have to design and print, and laminate?

I don't know why but I really like the flat black wrap. Looks bad azz.

Here are a few pics that show the engine better as well as the car in general. It's amazing how well 3m car wrap vinyl holds up. The pipes are wrapped in matte black excluding the edge of the chrome tips. The Honda logo and Vtec is also matte black vinyl laid on top of the 3/d letters on the engine.
I like it but I am skeptical of how well the paint on the engine parts will hold up but only time will tell. I also would like to prime and paint the coolant tank black or purchase a black tank if they are available???

We have a couple of fleet customers who use total wraps one being Mr. Rooter.

They have come to us to have them removed when the unit is being taken out of service. The sign companies that installed them will not remove them. Locally we have several that do installs but NONE will do removals of older installs.

We have found them to be brittle and extremely difficult to remove on older installs. First year, year and a half it's not hard to remove at all. After that wow.
We have used heat guns, short and medium wave infra red, sunlight,
an induction heater, and 3M release agent with no real positive results.
Little 1" pieces snap off and it is slow, hard going.

Using a 3M decal removal tool is expensive and time consuming but on older installs is the only way. It can take 6,8 or more wheels ( at $30.00 each) and two solid days to get a full size service van clean again. I guess that isn't too bad considering your video says it takes you 12 hours to put it on a NSX. It is smaller but has many curves and shape changes to deal with.

I don't think a show car would have this problem of getting hard and drying out because of it's limited use and exposure to the multi season elements in the NE.

FYI the wraps on these vans are multicolor with graphics and are more in the 3.5-4.5k range in price. Your price sounds very reasonable.

Do you do clear bras, and if so, how does the film thickness of that compare to that which is used in wraps?

Last edited:
We have a couple of fleet customers who use total wraps one being Mr. Rooter.

They have come to us to have them removed when the unit is being taken out of service. The sign companies that installed them will not remove them. Locally we have several that do installs but NONE will do removals of older installs.

We have found them to be brittle and extremely difficult to remove on older installs. First year, year and a half it's not hard to remove at all. After that wow.
We have used heat guns, short and medium wave infra red, sunlight,
an induction heater, and 3M release agent with no real positive results.
Little 1" pieces snap off and it is slow, hard going.

Using a 3M decal removal tool is expensive and time consuming but on older installs is the only way. It can take 6,8 or more wheels ( at $30.00 each) and two solid days to get a full size service van clean again. I guess that isn't too bad considering your video says it takes you 12 hours to put it on a NSX. It is smaller but has many curves and shape changes to deal with.

I don't think a show car would have this problem of getting hard and drying out because of it's limited use and exposure to the multi season elements in the NE.

FYI the wraps on these vans are multicolor with graphics and are more in the 3.5-4.5k range in price. Your price sounds very reasonable.

Do you do clear bras, and if so, how does the film thickness of that compare to that which is used in wraps?

Yes, removals SUCK! This stuff is made to last 3-5 years so removal is a pain! I have no easy or helpful solution to recommend that would help you remove them either other than try a propane quick light torch. It should heat the glue enough to cause it to release and help a bit. Then once you do get it off comes the sucky removal of the glue :/
The clear film is slightly thicker...
I'll probably rewrap my NSX every 6-12 mths ( i like change)so the vinyl will remove easily when u heat it. When it sits for 2-3 years it doesn't wanna come off!

United I'm glad to see you've calmed down a bit. I doubt anyone meant to hurt feelings here. You gotta take the good with the bad as everyones taste's differ. Don't take it personally. If it makes "you" happy, thats all that matters.:wink:

United I'm glad to see you've calmed down a bit. I doubt anyone meant to hurt feelings here. You gotta take the good with the bad as everyones taste's differ. Don't take it personally. If it makes "you" happy, thats all that matters.:wink:

I was never "fired up" in the first place.... Trust me on this.
I simply don't like negativity in any form or "smart ass" comments etc. I try to check myself when I act that way as well. We are all human so of course it happens but there is simply no point in it.
Now clean, positive criticism can be a good thing and even helpfull but negative, harsh, smart a.. comments shouldn't be given to anyone regardless if you, I or anyone likes another's car, upgrade, downgrade etc.
All the idiots I see posting harsh and a..hole comments on people post on this site, other sites, YouTube videos etc just urk me. I always think "what a douche to talk trash behind a computer to another complete stranger, that person must be jealous, insecure or simply a straight up a..hole that needs a a..woopn".
The old saying "if you ain't got something nice to say don't say it at all" has always stuck with me.

I always think "what a douche to talk trash behind a computer to another complete stranger, that person must be jealous, insecure or simply a straight up a..hole that needs a a..woopn".

Well your response started out good until you got to this.:rolleyes:
Even this sentence starts off fine but at the end you indulge in exactly what you claim you disdain.:confused:

If you went on any car web-site like Ferrari, Porsche, Audi R8, Lotus etc. and as a new owner posted pictures of one of those cars with the types of "mods" you've shown, the responses would be much harsher than what you had here which were not harsh at all. They just weren't the ringing endorsement you perhaps were looking for or wanted.

A "newbie" is not a disparaging remark, age specific or a veiled threat. It's about as nice as a way that you can to tell someone to slow down the lip a bit.:wink::smile:

Welcome aboard. It's nice to have some new enthusiastic new blood.

PS.
Consider joining the NSXCA. Not everyone there is old.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Some people just got their panties in a bunch over a phucking car. So what if they don't like your car? It's your car. Do what u want but if u ask for opinion on a public forum, be prepared to get both pos and neg opinions. If u can't take that, don't post.

Well your response started out good until you got to this.:rolleyes:
Even this sentence starts off fine but at the end you indulge in exactly what you claim you disdain.:confused:

If you went on any car web-site like Ferrari, Porsche, Audi R8, Lotus etc. and as a new owner posted pictures of one of those cars with the types of "mods" you've shown, the responses would be much harsher than what you had here which were not harsh at all. They just weren't the ringing endorsement you perhaps were looking for or wanted.

A "newbie" is not a disparaging remark, age specific or a veiled threat. It's about as nice as a way that you can to tell someone to slow down the lip a bit.:wink::smile:

Welcome aboard. It's nice to have some new enthusiastic new blood.

PS.
Consider joining the NSXCA. Not everyone there is old.:biggrin:

"your response started out good"...
Pbassjo, I don't seek your approval on any of my post, comments or "mods" if that's what you desire. You seem to have a comment about everything I say in regards to people that post negative things or talk trash. Negative mocking etc takes away from the stoke and positive vibe that most people on this site have.
It's really simply - give positive criticism if you feel the overwhelming urge to say anything at all. Simple. Not hard to grasp...
Secondly, unless someone post up pics or questions asking for opinions then even more so why give a negative smart ass opinion? You blatantly took pride in mocking me in one post. Is there a point in that? Pride in mocking someone makes you feel better about yourself?

Some people just got their panties in a bunch over a phucking car. So what if they don't like your car? It's your car. Do what u want but if u ask for opinion on a public forum, be prepared to get both pos and neg opinions. If u can't take that, don't post.

I agree 100%. That's the point, read my first post.... I simply posted a couple of pics of my engine after painting a few parts and said I liked it. I didn't ask for opinions etc. I simply posted some pics.
And honestly I have no issues with opinions that favor or don't favor what I like. That would be simple minded of I did. I just have no tolerance for people that are smart a.. or rude and feel the need to 'mock" another person whom they have never even met to stroke there own ego.

Back