• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

passport to Mexico??????

so i've heard from several people now that you do not need a passport to DRIVE through the border of Mexico and the US is this true???? i've been told you only need one if your flying there or arriving by boat.

if anyone can give me a "I know for sure answer" i'd appreciate it

Ive driven to and from Mexico plenty of times and never needed a passport. At the border patrol they will look in your car and ask if you are a US citizen and they will check you ID. May ask you what your reason for coming and going may be but thats about it. Ive taken cruises to mexico as well and never had a problem.

BTW Dont NSX's look good with girls on them :D

Per the State Department website:

Bring either a U.S. passport or a certified copy of a birth certificate and photo identification.

Entry Requirements
Proof of citizenship and photo identification are required for entry by all U.S. citizens. A passport and visa are not required for a tourist/transit stay of up to 180 days. A tourist card, issued by Mexican consulates and most airlines serving Mexico, is required. Minors require notarized consent from parent(s) if traveling alone, with one parent, or in someone else's custody.

Returning to the United States – Caution! Make certain that you can return to the United States with the proof of citizenship that you take with you. Although some countries may allow you to enter with only a birth certificate, U.S. law requires that you document both your U.S. citizenship and identity when you reenter the United States.

The best document to prove your U.S. citizenship is a valid U.S. passport. Other documents that establish U.S. citizenship include an expired U.S. passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate, a Certificate of Naturalization, a Certificate of Citizenship, or a Report of Birth Abroad of a U.S. citizen. To prove your identity, either a valid driver’s license or a government identification card that includes a photo or physical description is acceptable.

Hope that helps.

that does help but i was told all you need is a Driver license and that is it they will check your car but not check you birth cirtificate etc.
i know per a state web site there going to give you the requirements by the book but when it comes down to it alot of the time and most time this never happens from what i've heard:confused:

smoore said:
that does help but i was told all you need is a Driver license and that is it they will check your car but not check you birth cirtificate etc.
i know per a state web site there going to give you the requirements by the book but when it comes down to it alot of the time and most time this never happens from what i've heard:confused:
Since you need proof of identity (e.g. driver's license) and proof of citizenship (e.g. passport or birth certificate) in both directions - upon entering Mexico as well as upon your return - I suggest you simply bring both documents with you.

[accent=New_Jersey]You got a problem wit dat?[/accent]

Smoore - I don't know what to tell you. You asked if a passport was required and that's what I responded to. If you feel pretty confident based on other people's testimonials then that is entirely up to you. I like to be prepared just in case, but YMMV.

Have a safe and fun trip.

yeah but theres more to it than that. For you guys it may be as simple as getting a us passport but i can't. That's why the delema so cut along story short that is why i'm trying to find out that if i leave with my American registered car and DL and SS card and come back with it and my DL and SS card whether i'll be o.k. or not
if it was just as easy as getting a US passport i would deffently do this as i wouldn't take the risk

smoore said:
if it was just as easy as getting a US passport i would deffently do this as i wouldn't take the risk

JMO and YMMV but I wouldn't be leaving if I wasn't darn sure I could get back in. :eek:

Like i said before, you don't NEED a passport. I of course would be helpful. IVe gotten over to Mexico and back numerous time with just my ID (Texas DL) Ive never been asked for my birth certificate, but That would be a great Idea to have as well, given you were born in the US. Hope you have a safe and fun trip, if by chance you pass thru the Houston area give a PM and let us know. Need anymore help just let me know!

I just drove down there a few months ago ... they didn't ask for anything at all

I think (not to sound racist, just stating the facts) that if you look like you might be hispanic, then your drivers license/birth certificate will be checked.

On the way back customs just asked a few questions, but don't get your car too dirty, they threatened not to let me back in because the Jeep I was driving was covered in mud. They said it was an agricultural reason ...... everyone I talked to said they've never heard of that before. (I'll attach a pic of the Jeep covered in mud later)

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I've gone to Mexico countless times. I have NEVER been asked for anything besides my DL and Registration if I drove over.. .. you are correct about the dirt though.. I 4X4'd over there before and they gave me some heat over bringing the dirt back over.. If you are or appear hispanic, they may ask for more documentation.. better safe than sorry and have fun down there.

I have never been to mexico, but I can tell you if you are flying to Canada, you better have a passport or DL AND birth certificate. In Canada they will not let you in without a passport or DL and BC if you fly.

I am not sure how driving is these days since 9/11.

I would imagine Mexico is very similar. Why take the chance. Get the Passport or bring the DL and BC. Simple as that.

If you are not american, bring your VISA with you also. A SS card will not help you.

Syonara said:

On the way back customs just asked a few questions, but don't get your car too dirty, they threatened not to let me back in because the Jeep I was driving was covered in mud. They said it was an agricultural reason ...... everyone I talked to said they've never heard of that before. (I'll attach a pic of the Jeep covered in mud later)

-

Attachments

• jeep1.jpg
    jeep1.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 185
"I know for sure".....since Im the only prime member who lives next to Mexico and travelled there the most.

Netviper is right. It's always best to take your passport regardless of what the State Dept says. Immigration and Customs run the show at the border NOT the State Dept. What Phoenix fails to mention is your entry docments INTO Mexico. While not a requirement to present a passport to return by land into the USA, it doesn't say you may be detained if you do not have one. Customs and Immigration officials (not border patrol) may detain you up to 2 hours in order to determine your admissibility into the US. Personal experience. With a USA passport you present a professional appearance and make the border guards job a lot eaiser (on both sides). They don't have to ask you a 101 questions.

BORDER OFFICIALS JOB EAISER=LESS HASSLE!

I've been hassled by mexican on many occassions with a birth certificate. I've even heard of corrupt mexican officials making copies of birth certificates to sell on the open mexican market. Once I started presenting my USA passport my problems went away. Take NSXPrime as an example. Other peoples personal experience is a lot better than State dept psychobabble. Also you require a visa stamp if you travel 30 kms or more in the interior of Mexico. It's cheaper to get a mexican visa stamp than a separate visa paper with your birth certificate.

Point is simple: why be a cheap bastard? Just geta passport.

P.S. Don't even have as much a bullet in your car or luggage. Any firearms or ammunition brought into Mexico and you'll have to the phone embassy to call your family for something to eat in jail for weeks!

It may differ at perspective border crossings, but heres my experience.
I drive down to mexico every summer (CA plates) with some friends, and we have only had to present our ID's and speak a little english. Now the case might be more complicated if you are not white (no offense intended).

Nobody has asked the question, so I will - why do you have to drive into Mexico? Walk the bridge, and you won't have to worry about being carjacked, or having your rig impounded illegally by corrupt Mexican police looking for a bribe, or worry about insurance while in country. I've never been asked for anything more than my drivers license on any trip to Mexico, but I always park at the border and walk over.

I hope for your sake that the NSX is not part of this itinerary!

Now, enough about some silly trip for cheap tequila, and post more pics (again) of your avatar! :eek:

Ok, my two cents... I walked in Mexico and I was not asked for anything on the way in. Nothing, even if I am not US citizen or Mexican...

On the way back I was so drunk I do not remember anything. I woke up in San Diego! :p

That happened many years ago...

If you don't have your passport, you don't need it.
If you have your passport, take it.
There's a 2 hour wait to cross over from TJ to San Diego. They want to get the lines moving as fast as they can. Just look them in the eye and answer their questions.

I've been across the border and back no hassles, no passport.
Don't worry about it.

Back