• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Pathetic...the sad state of the music industry

check out "Interstella 5555" by Daft Punk, they get it. Its on youtube.

I feel the same way about pop music and even professional sports for that matter. It's all extremely commercialized and you all have claimed the same reasons I would use.

However, I have started listening to much more of the new gen electronica type music in the past few years and even the old Oakenfold tracks still hits home with me. I think the good DJ/Composers are the Bachs and Beethovens of our time. My mom was a concert pianist and she practiced everyday while I was growing up - I see a lot of resemblance here between them. Some of the tracks these "DJs" are producing are simply genius (no I don't take E! lol). Now, do I think they are comparatively as good as Debussy or Mosart? No way, not yet at least...

MTV used to show music videos? :confused::biggrin: I HATE MTV with a passion! I also hate all this new pop, hip pop, r&b rubbish that is being pushed out nowadays.

Most of the music I listen to now is from the 90's and older, wether hip hop, rock, spanish, etc.. Speaking of hip hop, rapper Nate Dogg died a couple days ago at the age of 41. He had a history of strokes and other conditions.

I've recently have started listening again to more electronic dance music(EDM). I was big into the raves in the 90's, and now I'm back into the whole music festivals/massives. (I don't take E either!) Daft Punk creates some awesome tracks, like the most recent one from Tron:Legacy. Sure, the music may not be for everyone, but these DJ's/Producers can make unbearable songs from these crap "artist" into something more tolerable, or even great.

IMO, I think the Mexican music industry is the worst. Talk about no originality and RECYCLING music, over and over again. Some of these songs date back to the 1930's, yet they are still being rerecorded by new artists/bands.

The music industry figured out it can manufacture bands.
Put a bunch of kids together, give them some pre-written songs, hook them up with a music guy who makes beats, loops, rifts for everyone, good producer, done.
It's sad. I can't think of a single CD I've liked in the last 5 years.

NIN had some great CDs in the last 5 years, but Trent makes his own stuff.

Guys check out "The Temper Trap" from Australia. Killer band.

Juice that's a great music station...just as I turned it on it was "The Cure". Friday's I'm in love. Perfect.

30 Seconds to Mars just played Abu Dhabi and it was a killer 9,000 person concert (friends went). I wish I had gone to see it however my Triathlon the next day killed that one. Other good bands at the moment are My Chemical Romance - Sing killer track too.

Last edited:
First,...no, commercialization of music is not anything recent. In fact, even when good music was on the radio, it was commercial, which is exactly my rant/point. Radio stations used to play good music. In fact, many of them still do, and succeed very well playing music from yesterday.

Second, I don't agree that age is parallel with what is considered hip/in/good. My parents, when they were my age, were buying albums from Hall and Oates, The Eagles, The Bee Gee's, Paul McCartney and the Wings, The Cars etc. This is what was on the radio, and was popular, and GOOD.

To your third point, I do agree somewhat, but it was a different argument when the older generation was complaining about Elvis, The Doors, David Bowie etc. It was more of the SEXUAL nature and message of their music they objected. Today, I like many, just object to the shitty nature of the tween crap that is considered artistry.

There are some radio stations that do still play "good" current music. They just aren't the same ones you will find Keisha or Rhianna on. But yes some people will argue that the pop music being made today is good. Its all opinion.

Why do you think Elvis, The Doors, and David Bowie employed a high level of sexuality in their music? It wasn't to express themselves, it was to sell more records and make more money.

The difference is today it is the industry has been developed for so long that the commercialization is much more obvious and most people are wise to it.

so how do you define a great original artist,and who are they?

While of course this is highly subjective, great originality for me is when an artist creates music that reflects on them only. Some newer acts that I consider to be great:

Kings of Leon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnhXHvRoUd0

Imogen Heap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYIAfiVGluk

Skylar Grey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZu8xe6j820

120228-katy-perry-interview.380;380;7;70.jpg

Further investigation of "Rebecca Black" and her song "Friday" has yielded that this is now viral, and thankfully, for the wrong reasons.

If you need a good laugh, and DARED to watch and listen to her video/message, you will appreciate this:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9FISHEO3gsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I did get a laugh out of this parody, music for the hell of it. Flowers can grow in manure.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BTBdrJHXvEo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you're not seen as bankable, it is hard, especially if you don't live in america, we also have to define what success is. I'm resigned to my fate.

Re: Best thing this world has so far

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G-jreqUv0B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is it just my computer or is the audio recording completely messed up on this video? It is clipping like crazy throughout the entire recording.

Personally, I don't much care for Adele. She is completely overplayed on the radio and her voice just rubs me the wrong way.

As far as female vocalists/artists/songwriters I have been to two of Sarah McLachlan's concerts and have been blown away each time.

Front row in Windsor, ON:

Btw, I find myself watching a lot of HDNET Concerts on Sunday evenings or Palladia HD channel both of which broadcast high quality concerts of better artists than the usual pop radio junk.

As a 20 something, I'd like to echo the general sentiment. Pretty much anything in the top 40 appalls me, and I'm surprised that you elder gentlemen don't err on the side of listening to your own music that you actually like!-- be it an iPod, CD, or what have you. Not that cloistering yourself in a certain decade is the best decision, but it's definitely a better alternative than having your brain slowly melting out of your ears as you listen to Rolling in the Deep or Joustin' Beaver for the 100th time.

There are however, good albums to be had among this current crop of musicians. Finding real, un-manufactured talent takes some digging, but it can be rewarding. Here are some of my favorites:

"Demon Days" -The Gorillaz (good electronic, hip hop-ish record)
"The Suburbs" -Arcade Fire (these fellas won the grammy in 2011 with this indie record)
"A Beautiful Lie" -30 Seconds to Mars (solid rock, already mentioned, seconded :smile:)
"Discovery" -Daft Punk (amazing electro album, REAL autotune done right)
"Plans" -Death Cab for Cutie (another indie/alt, one of my favorites all-time)
"Wasting Light" -Foo Fighters (won a grammy this year and many in past years for best rock performance. The rock is strong with this one.)
"Blood Visions" -Jay Reatard (Visceral punk as the name suggests, if you're into that kind of thing)
"Sigh No More" -Mumford and Sons (great blend of rock and folk)

Honorable Mentions:
Muse (stadium rock)
Old 97's (rockabilly, country-ish?)
Radiohead (seconded)
Ratatat (electronic)
Relient K (clever, well written Christian lyrics)
Vampire Weekend (indie)
The xx (ambient, indie rock)
Broken Bells (indie rock)

Cheers,
Evan

Last edited:
Re: Best thing this world has so far

Is it just my computer or is the audio recording completely messed up on this video? It is clipping like crazy throughout the entire recording.

Personally, I don't much care for Adele. She is completely overplayed on the radio and her voice just rubs me the wrong way.

]
I can't stand Adele, all she does is bellow the same note in every song.

There is hope.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SKhmFSV-XB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After watching some of The Billboard music awards, I thought about the state of today's music and how I've not downloaded a full album since 2012. :) I dvr'd it only because I'm a van Halen fan (enough to actually put up with DLR's non-singing and the absence of Mike nowadays) and while watching it, grew increasingly depressed over what people think is good music nowadays (which is really mostly lip-synching and dance productions by teenagers instead of songwriting and singing) since that directly results in my inability to find anything worth buying.

This link reminds me of what it was like when dozens of killer almost would come out each year as a kid, most all of which and are still listenable today by many ages.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/1978-albums/

Who thinks anybody will be listening to Nikki Minaj or Iggy Azalea 15 years from now?

- - - Updated - - -

Second, I don't agree that age is parallel with what is considered hip/in/good. My parents, when they were my age, were buying albums from Hall and Oates, The Eagles, The Bee Gee's, Paul McCartney and the Wings, The Cars etc. This is what was on the radio, and was popular, and GOOD.

Damn straight. Great list there too. When I was a kid, crawling around the back of the station wagon w/o a seat belt while mom smoked up front, we all liked what was on the radio. Now when I take my nephew for a ride and he lifts his head away from the Iphone long enough to pilot the radio, it makes me so fear for the future. :)

Anyone watch Live From Daryl's House? Good stuff, with real musicians.

Come to think of it, has any new instrument been invented that's "stuck" since the electric guitar or synthesizer? Maybe the world really has run out of fresh ideas...the best the USA can do is rehash a Clinton and a Bush...all automakers pirated Audi's badge grille and beat it into the ground... :) I'm going to try some of the suggestions from earlier in this thread even if they're a few years old. If they're really good they'll still be good.

Last edited:
I really know nothing about the music industry but it seems to me the reason it's not doing very well is because every thing they make is stolen on the internet. I'm pretty sure that's why the concert tickets are so freaking expensive and the fee that ticket master charges is pretty much what a stand alone ticket was when I was younger.

This is a good breakdown from a salon article by Courtney Love:

"Today I want to talk about piracy and music. What is piracy? Piracy is the act of stealing an artist’s work without any intention of paying for it. I’m not talking about Napster-type software.

I’m talking about major label recording contracts.

I want to start with a story about rock bands and record companies, and do some recording-contract math:

This story is about a bidding-war band that gets a huge deal with a 20 percent royalty rate and a million-dollar advance. (No bidding-war band ever got a 20 percent royalty, but whatever.) This is my “funny” math based on some reality and I just want to qualify it by saying I’m positive it’s better math than what Edgar Bronfman Jr. [the president and CEO of Seagram, which owns Polygram] would provide.

What happens to that million dollars?

They spend half a million to record their album. That leaves the band with $500,000. They pay $100,000 to their manager for 20 percent commission. They pay $25,000 each to their lawyer and business manager.

That leaves $350,000 for the four band members to split. After $170,000 in taxes, there’s $180,000 left. That comes out to $45,000 per person.

That’s $45,000 to live on for a year until the record gets released.

The record is a big hit and sells a million copies. (How a bidding-war band sells a million copies of its debut record is another rant entirely, but it’s based on any basic civics-class knowledge that any of us have about cartels. Put simply, the antitrust laws in this country are basically a joke, protecting us just enough to not have to re-name our park service the Phillip Morris National Park Service.)

So, this band releases two singles and makes two videos. The two videos cost a million dollars to make and 50 percent of the video production costs are recouped out of the band’s royalties.

The band gets $200,000 in tour support, which is 100 percent recoupable.

The record company spends $300,000 on independent radio promotion. You have to pay independent promotion to get your song on the radio; independent promotion is a system where the record companies use middlemen so they can pretend not to know that radio stations — the unified broadcast system — are getting paid to play their records.

All of those independent promotion costs are charged to the band.

Since the original million-dollar advance is also recoupable, the band owes $2 million to the record company.

If all of the million records are sold at full price with no discounts or record clubs, the band earns $2 million in royalties, since their 20 percent royalty works out to $2 a record.

Two million dollars in royalties minus $2 million in recoupable expenses equals … zero!

How much does the record company make?

They grossed $11 million.

It costs $500,000 to manufacture the CDs and they advanced the band $1 million. Plus there were $1 million in video costs, $300,000 in radio promotion and $200,000 in tour support.

The company also paid $750,000 in music publishing royalties.

They spent $2.2 million on marketing. That’s mostly retail advertising, but marketing also pays for those huge posters of Marilyn Manson in Times Square and the street scouts who drive around in vans handing out black Korn T-shirts and backwards baseball caps. Not to mention trips to Scores and cash for tips for all and sundry.

Add it up and the record company has spent about $4.4 million.

So their profit is $6.6 million; the band may as well be working at a 7-Eleven."
http://www.salon.com/2000/06/14/love_7/

Last edited:
There is great music out there, however it gets zero promotion or radio play. I listen to a ton of prog metal (dream theater type stuff). In the US, dream theater can fill about 2500 seat venues. In the UK they play wembley arena. Most of the bands I listen to are from EU, nearly as good, and would never do a US tour. The music industry just wants to keep pushing the auto tuned lipsyncher of the week, squeeze whatever $ they can from it and move on to the next Johnny bravo they create because he 'fits the suit. There is very little talent in anything one heard on the radio today. So sad.

Wow, what a thread that hits me hard.

WARNING: Old Fart Being Nostalgic

I definitely grew up in the wrong era when it comes to music. I am going to be 60 this year, and even at 60, I'm about 20 years behind where I should be. See, my father was a jazz musician, made his living that way, and my uncle (approaching 90) is also a jazz musician, still performing, still teaching, still relevant. So I grew up with music that was already 20 years behind.

I so relate to music from the 40's, 50's, 60's. The American Songbook. Brazilian Jazz (Jobim). Well-constructed, well-performed songs, where virtuosity trumped mass appeal. Of course, my dad never reconciled why crap (in his opinion) three-chord songs performed by marginal musicians were selling like hotcakes when musically superior composers and musicians were struggling.

To me, it's song construction, voicings, chord changes and movement, and how well musicians can play along the chord substitutions, lay down the strong and consistent rhythm, that turns me on. I consider Jobim a master along the lines of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. I consider the big bands of the late 50's as premier examples of musical virtuosity. Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Coltrane, Parker, King Cole, Adderley, etc.

I appreciate a band that can faithfully reproduce what people want to hear (the best concert I ever attended was a few years ago, with Carole King and James Taylor reproducing their Trubador tour; there was so much love in the room of 20,000 people), but still, the musicality was there. It wasn't crap. It involved interesting songs, well-performed.

I don't know where this rant is going, but when I was young I promised myself I would NOT become nostalgic, but alas, it's happened, from lamenting where music is these days to hanging on to my 25-year-old NSX owned 10 years, and my 21-year-old Miata owned 21 years, wishing things were the same as they were years ago.

I can't stand rap. I can't stand country. I can't stand hip-hop. I live in the past. But I truly believe that good music, really well-constructed, well-performed music, is still out there, is timeless, it's just that it's not popular.

Old Fart signing off.

I am about the same age. And I suppose each new generation thinks their music is the best. But when I think back over the short time from 1960-1970 I am continually amazed.

There was such a wide expanse of great music in many genres in just 10 short years.

You had Doo-Wop, "oldies", ballads, Elvis, Beatles and the whole British Invasion, pop rock, bubble gum rock, Motown, Folk, acid psychedelic rock, FM album rock, orchestral rock

I didn't really think about it at the time but looking back it was a special unique time.

-Jim

Wow, what a thread that hits me hard.

WARNING: Old Fart Being Nostalgic

I definitely grew up in the wrong era when it comes to music. I am going to be 60 this year, and even at 60, I'm about 20 years behind where I should be. See, my father was a jazz musician, made his living that way, and my uncle (approaching 90) is also a jazz musician, still performing, still teaching, still relevant. So I grew up with music that was already 20 years behind.

I so relate to music from the 40's, 50's, 60's. The American Songbook. Brazilian Jazz (Jobim). Well-constructed, well-performed songs, where virtuosity trumped mass appeal. Of course, my dad never reconciled why crap (in his opinion) three-chord songs performed by marginal musicians were selling like hotcakes when musically superior composers and musicians were struggling.

To me, it's song construction, voicings, chord changes and movement, and how well musicians can play along the chord substitutions, lay down the strong and consistent rhythm, that turns me on. I consider Jobim a master along the lines of Bach, Beethoven, and Mozart. I consider the big bands of the late 50's as premier examples of musical virtuosity. Sinatra, Fitzgerald, Coltrane, Parker, King Cole, Adderley, etc.

I appreciate a band that can faithfully reproduce what people want to hear (the best concert I ever attended was a few years ago, with Carole King and James Taylor reproducing their Trubador tour; there was so much love in the room of 20,000 people), but still, the musicality was there. It wasn't crap. It involved interesting songs, well-performed.

I don't know where this rant is going, but when I was young I promised myself I would NOT become nostalgic, but alas, it's happened, from lamenting where music is these days to hanging on to my 25-year-old NSX owned 10 years, and my 21-year-old Miata owned 21 years, wishing things were the same as they were years ago.

I can't stand rap. I can't stand country. I can't stand hip-hop. I live in the past. But I truly believe that good music, really well-constructed, well-performed music, is still out there, is timeless, it's just that it's not popular.

Old Fart signing off.

The evolution of Taylor Swift is something I've been pondering here lately. These last few singles "Blank Space", "Style", and "Bad Blood" all strike me as very cheap, shallow, and over-produced when comparing them to the (IMHO) better single "Shake It Off" from the same album, 1989. Is it record companies pushing these artists to just push out junk that's marketable as quickly as they can?

Sometimes, the music that's put out can be a reflection of stress on the artist as well. Radiohead's albums Amnesiac and Kid A have an overarching melancholy feel because of the timeline the company put on them to push out both albums before they eventually broke away.

Last edited:
Back