• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Performance gains on aftermarket Exhaust?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
1,592
Location
Los Angeles
Is there any real performance benefits from the after market cat back exhaust?

I read the dyno charts from Comptech http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000NSXscPlot3.pdf

There is actual loss of power and torque below 5500 RPM and the gain is so minimal and at very high RPM. I read the dyno for other cars and the results are similar. It is impractical under most conditions other than at the track.

Comptech is such a reputable tuner and was unable to improve over the OEM. It makes me wonder about all the other claims from the smaller guys. :confused:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
1,015
Location
Silicon Valley, CA
nis350 said:
Is there any real performance benefits from the after market cat back exhaust?

I read the dyno charts from Comptech http://www.comptechusa.com/images/dyno/2000NSXscPlot3.pdf

There is actual loss of power and torque below 5500 RPM and the gain is so minimal and at very high RPM. I read the dyno for other cars and the results are similar. It is impractical under most conditions other than at the track.

Comptech is such a reputable tuner and was unable to improve over the OEM. It makes me wonder about all the other claims from the smaller guys. :confused:

I should be able to tell you soon. My Taitec GT LW just arrived today.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,853
Location
CA
nis350 said:
Is there any real performance benefits from the after market cat back exhaust?
Sure there is one. If you want to get good amount of hp and torque gain through the entire rpm range with no loss of low end torque and save a few lbs in the process. Taitec GT Lightweight is your answer. It probably also cost less than Comptech. Actual dyno result before/after, no claims.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51002

There are not too many dyno results for exhausts on pre-97 without header. I have only seen one other exhaust that have been tested on pre-97 without header. The other exhaust was custom Flowmaster exhaust, it also had nice gain throughout the entire rpm without loss of low end.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
1,592
Location
Los Angeles
nsxsupra said:
Sure there is one. If you want to get good amount of hp and torque gain through the entire rpm range with no loss of low end torque and save a few lbs in the process. Taitec GT Lightweight is your answer. It probably also cost less than Comptech. Actual dyno result before/after, no claims.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51002

There are not too many dyno results for exhausts on pre-97 without header. I have only seen one other exhaust that have been tested on pre-97 without header. The other exhaust was custom Flowmaster exhaust, it also had nice gain throughout the entire rpm without loss of low end.

that is impressive. wonder why the comptech is so poor in term of performance gain.

From reading your post, looks like Anytime is the way to go with both power and level of drone in mind.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,853
Location
CA
nis350 said:
that is impressive. wonder why the comptech is so poor in term of performance gain.

I never seen a dyno result for Comptech exhaust on pre-97 NSX without header, you many not want to put it off just yet. :smile:

Base on the reviews, Anytime has to be one awesome exhaust. Definitely a great choice if it is still available.

Not sure what is your top priority on selecting exhaust. Maximum hp gain, best sounding to you, or combination of both? Attending one of the local meets and listen to various exhausts in person may help you decide.

ARK Racing exhaust is also a great choice. It sounds incredible base on sound clips. I am looking forward to hear it in person.

I picked the Taitec GTLW exhaust based on my sound preference. As there were very few dyno results for exhuast only on pre-97 (2~3 to be exact. Dali Dual rice canister, Flowmaster and Anytime), no prior dyno results for Taitec GT Lightweight on pre-97 either. I was also cencern with loss of low end torque.

I Had no plan of picking up exhaust until I attended last SCA meet. I listened to various exhausts during the meet. I was impressed with all the exhausts I heard. Then I heard Casper91's Nsx. After he told me the exhaust he had was GTLW with no aftermarket header. First thing came across my mind was that I have to have it. Sound alone is worth it even if I have to risk of losing some low end torque. I could not be more happier with the results.
 
Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
1,592
Location
Los Angeles
nsxsupra said:
I never seen a dyno result for Comptech exhaust on pre-97 NSX without header, you many not want to put it off just yet. :smile:

Base on the reviews, Anytime has to be one awesome exhaust. Definitely a great choice if it is still available.

Not sure what is your top priority on selecting exhaust. Maximum hp gain, best sounding to you, or combination of both? Attending one of the local meets and listen to various exhausts in person may help you decide.

ARK Racing exhaust is also a great choice. It sounds incredible base on sound clips. I am looking forward to hear it in person.

I picked the Taitec GTLW exhaust based on my sound preference. As there were very few dyno results for exhuast only on pre-97 (2~3 to be exact. Dali Dual rice canister, Flowmaster and Anytime), no prior dyno results for Taitec GT Lightweight on pre-97 either. I was also cencern with loss of low end torque.

I Had no plan of picking up exhaust until I attended last SCA meet. I listened to various exhausts during the meet. I was impressed with all the exhausts I heard. Then I heard Casper91's Nsx. After he told me the exhaust he had was GTLW with no aftermarket header. First thing came across my mind was that I have to have it. Sound alone is worth it even if I have to risk of losing some low end torque. I could not be more happier with the results.


My understanding is that the 97 and up has a better design exhaust manifold and I can only imagine that the Comptech will be worse for the pre 97.

Yeah, I am looking for both the sound and comfort. Something that is comfortable enough for a daily driver. I realizing that compromise has to be made. However, I sure don't want to spend the $ with an exhaust that actually under perform the OEM below 5600 rpm.

Great suggestion about listening to it first. Thanks :wink:
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Oct 27, 2004
Messages
2,853
Location
CA
nis350 said:
My understanding is that the 97 and up has a better design exhaust manifold and I can only imagine that the Comptech will be worse for the pre 97.

That was my concern at one point as well. The are dyno results I have found proven other wise.

I also found this interesting thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37645

Loss of hp after header on pre-97:

K&N drop in filter and Comptech exhaust: Max POWER: 252.3 HP Max Torque: 196.1 ft-lbs
K&N drop in filter and Comptech headers & exhaust: Max POWER: 242.0 HP Max Torque: 185.9 ft-lbs

This one result alone does not mean anything.
Maybe the biggest bottleneck for pre-97 is the exhaust :confused:

btw: have you tried the Cantell AIS? The AIS alone improved the sound quite a bit with oem exhaust.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Oct 23, 2000
Messages
13,885
Location
Saint Augustine, FL
I would suggest buying the exhaust that sounds the best to you. Powergains are pretty similar across the board. Comptech around +8, Taitec GT Lightweight a little more, Anytime +13. From a butt dyno standpoint, I think the Anytime was definetly stronger than the GT L. (at least on my old 93) Comptech has a nice sound, but many people say it is too quiet for the money. DC sports is also one to consider. I have heard Comptech + no cats sounds pretty nice. Anytime and no cats is WAY too loud for me.
 
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
1,592
Location
Los Angeles
nsxsupra said:
That was my concern at one point as well. The are dyno results I have found proven other wise.

I also found this interesting thread:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37645

Loss of hp after header on pre-97:

K&N drop in filter and Comptech exhaust: Max POWER: 252.3 HP Max Torque: 196.1 ft-lbs
K&N drop in filter and Comptech headers & exhaust: Max POWER: 242.0 HP Max Torque: 185.9 ft-lbs

This one result alone does not mean anything.
Maybe the biggest bottleneck for pre-97 is the exhaust :confused:

btw: have you tried the Cantell AIS? The AIS alone improved the sound quite a bit with oem exhaust.

The dyno reference I reviewed was from Comptech. So I assumed it is accurate since they posted it in their website. As for other dyno, they do varies a lot.

I read quite a bit about the AIS and I am very interesting in getting one. Please do PM me for your review of it. :wink:
 
Top