• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Photo ticket question

Story: Changed from the right to left lane in the middle of a two lane, photo enforced intersection. A bus stopped right after it got through the intersection on the right side, leaving me trapped in the photo enforced intersection. I moved to the left and safely merged into traffic, but the photo light went off. I definitely feel like this could be coincidental, as something else could have caused it, but I just wanted to see what your thoughts were on the subj. I've read up on this, and in Cali, it doesn't seem theres a black and white definition for even doing this in general, as long as its safe. Definitely NOT recommended for most reasons, but I feel mine was justified. I thought these photo enforcement zones were typically designed to catch red light runners, and speed violations, but again, here I am asking the question. Any info appreciated.

I don't know how exactly it works in California, but I can tell you my experience in NC.

Here the photo light cameras are run by an outside company, not the city or state. They send a portion of what they recover to the city that allows them to use these cameras.

This being said, I recieved several tickets, then went to the office that handles complaints, tickets in hand. They informed me that I had to pay the tickets, I declined and said prove it was me. They only had a picture of the car from behind not the driver. They asked who was driving the car and I declined to answer, I simply repeated prove it was me. They couldn't. I left, never paid the tickets and never heard another thing.

All this being said, if you feel strongly, fight it.

Pay $100 to Mr. Ticket in Hillcrest. It's right off the 163, exit Washington.

The walk-in hours are 5PM-8PM. Bring a copy of your ticket.

Sign in, Reception give you a form to fill, you wait in line for an attorney, you talk to the attorney and you give him your credit card. It cost $99 and he will show up in court for you. You just wait to see the results.

He will take care of it for you.

Most of the time, the photo camera also have video.

You can go to the Superior Traffic Court in Kearny Mesa anytime before your court date and you can view the video.

Then you can decide if you want to fight it yourself or just pay Mr. Ticket $99 to do it for you.

I don't even know if I'm even the one that got the ticket. I just saw it flash while i was in the intersection. Good point though, I can call mr. ticket if anything. Thx.

I don't know how it is in CA either, but in my department, we have one of our traffic (bike cop) guys review each photo red-light ticket the machine takes a picture for. He has to decide if it's flagrant enough to deserve a ticket. If you look like you've been caught off guard and try to keep from blocking, you're probably not going to get anything in the mail.

I don't even know if I'm even the one that got the ticket. I just saw it flash while i was in the intersection.

Don't even give it another thought if/until you get a ticket in the mail.

I have triggered traffic cameras before but never received a citation.

Wait to see if they even consider it an infraction, then deal with it.

superProtector.gif

http://www.ontrackcorp.com/

I was thinking about purchasing these. Anyone have one of these or know a better source. I've seen them on many cars and they do work.

I've read to disreguard all photo tickets that come in the mail and that they are not pursued or enforced by the police in any way. Innocent until proven guilty is still the law - for now (I wear an Obama mask when I drive - :tongue:). Happy Motoring!

I've read to disreguard all photo tickets that come in the mail and that they are not pursued or enforced by the police in any way.

This is not very good advice. When I, and a friend I know received a photo ticket in the mail, it came courtesy of the police department, not a private entity. True, it is a private company that does the initial paperwork, but the infractions are pursued through the PD.

This is not very good advice. When I, and a friend I know received a photo ticket in the mail, it came courtesy of the police department, not a private entity. True, it is a private company that does the initial paperwork, but the infractions are pursued through the PD.

You could be right. My point is that I have never heard or read of anyone being fined, prosecuted or arrested (maybe someone here has) by the PD for non-payment of a photo ticket. The article I read said they were non-enforceable. If I get one, I won't pay it and I'll let you know the outcome.
Happy Motoring!

It varies completely by state.

Here in MN the left wing liberals took this case to the supreme court and the cameras were ALL shut down because they could not prove WHO was driving.

It varies completely by state.

Here in MN the left wing liberals took this case to the supreme court and the cameras were ALL shut down because they could not prove WHO was driving.

I wish that would happen everywhere. Those things are expensive and dangerous. My father in law rear-ended some stupid lady the other day that slammed on her brakes the instant the light turned yellow (due to being afraid of getting a red light ticket of course).

In San Diego, there was a big issue with traffic camera and a third party company that operated them about 8 years ago.

It was discovered that the tickets were issued by the operator without a police officer reviewing them. That lead to the dismissal of thousands of traffic camera tickets and a suspension of the camera for 1 yr.

But now, they fixed all the logistical procedures and are back in operation.

You can not ignore these photo tickets in San Diego. If you do, you will face large fines and driving suspension.

Last edited:
In San Diego, there was a big issue with traffic camera and a third party company that operated them about 8 years ago.

It was discovered that the tickets were issued by the operator without a police officer reviewing them. That lead to the dismissal of thousands of traffic camera tickets and a suspension of the camera for 1 yr.

But now, they fixed all the logistical procedures and are back in operation.

You can not ignore these photo tickets in San Diego. If you do, you will face large fines and driving suspension.

My question remains: Have you ever actually heard of anyone being fined, getting a suspension or being arrested for not paying a photo ticket?

I have received 3 photo tickets and all 3 got pitched in the trash without a second thought. The reason, I was not properly served by a peace officer or sworn process server. Until you have been legally served you never got the ticket(unless you voluntarily admit it). It has been over a year now and I have been pulled over and registered several cars at the DMV and no problems. If you have a bunch of extra cash to burn by all means run down and pay the ticket. Only 35% percent of AZ residents pay the photo tickets they get in the mail. The rules in you state may differ.

This has been my experience along with several other people I know here in AZ.

Check out this website. http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/

I don't think you have an issue with the red light, as you were clearly in the intersection. However, you can be ticketed for changing lanes in an intersection. You may get leniency since you were trying to avoid blocking the intersection if they decide to ticket for lane change.

Here in WA it is a completely valid ticket no matter how it gets to you. You are required by law to update your driver's license address within ten days of a move, in part so that tickets can reach you.

most of the time they review the video footage along with the picture- if you do get cited just request a review to prove the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
As many of the replies stated, most times they have to prove it was you first. I received a "snitch ticket" in which I just put to the side. If there is no court date, and on the back it says "do not contact the court," then it's most likely a "snitch ticket." These "snitch tickets" are issued by the company who runs the cameras, not from law enforcement. When people reply to them, they are forwarded to the law enforcements. Most people don't know it is, and they just admit it was them or someone else and revenue is made.

So first, I would say wait for the ticket and picture in the mail.

Last edited:
I don't care what state you're in. State laws cannot and do not override your constitutional rights. And the constitution states that you are innocent until proven guilty. Because your car was caught does not prove you were caught. Period! Happy Motoring!

I fought a photo ticket and I didn't win, I plead guilty, but the judge let me off with court costs after I explained the situation. The judge reduced the fine from 195 to 50 and he wanted to know if I could pay that in 2 weeks. I was beaming and said that I would pay it right now and the judge said "no, we don't collect the money" and meanwhile all the police and other people in court laughed.

I have received 3 photo tickets and all 3 got pitched in the trash without a second thought. The reason, I was not properly served by a peace officer or sworn process server. Until you have been legally served you never got the ticket(unless you voluntarily admit it). It has been over a year now and I have been pulled over and registered several cars at the DMV and no problems. If you have a bunch of extra cash to burn by all means run down and pay the ticket. Only 35% percent of AZ residents pay the photo tickets they get in the mail. The rules in you state may differ.

This has been my experience along with several other people I know here in AZ.

Check out this website. http://camerafraud.wordpress.com/

you are correct that most likely you will get away with it in az due to program's demise- i do know folks that have been served in person for those tickets (high-speed offenses) after ignoring the mail and by then the fine tripled.

Back