• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PIC request, Bilstein shocks with stock springs

Thanks for the replies folks. Is the upper perch even an option (technically possible) or just ill-advised (too much spring travel) or simply not as pleasing to the eye?

I just turned 40 and I'm looking for more ride comfort :)

I am getting tired of people pointing out my fender gappage...so I am finally going to do something about it this summer. I have enjoyed driving my car with stock suspension for almost 2 years now so I think its time to put on Bilsteins on the lower perch. I have also read about owners recommending the NSX-R front swaybar and the chassis bar. So for the price of coilovers I can do all three of these mods and get the car aligned.:smile: It's a win win!

Thanks for the replies folks. Is the upper perch even an option (technically possible) or just ill-advised (too much spring travel) or simply not as pleasing to the eye?

I just turned 40 and I'm looking for more ride comfort :)

Upper perch is just not as pleasing to the eye. As for suspension travel on upper/lower perch, it's not gonna make hardly any difference. Either setting will net HUGE amounts of travel. If you like your stock handling and ride but just wanna get rid of the gap a bit, stock on bilstein lower perch.

Hi goldNSX, I'm not sure my car handled as well as that Citroen but since I don't track the car I would never be able to find out just how well it handles anyway. After years of being a wannabe poseur I've realized I just want comfortable street car performance and handling from my NSX.

The Eibach/Bilstein combo was "the thing to do" (or so I got the impression) when I went to this setup six or seven years ago. Now I want some comfort back.

Yes, the Bilsteins are on the lower perch. I find the ride too harsh, and my front tires rub when the steering wheel is at full lock. Tires are 215/40R17.

Yes, the Bilsteins are on the lower perch. I find the ride too harsh, and my front tires rub when the steering wheel is at full lock. Tires are 215/40R17.

Then your car is always running in the bump stops and THIS makes the car ride harsh, again see my findings: http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102646

I'd recommed going up to the upper perch and maybe cut the bump stops by about 0.4 inch. The Eibachs should give a low-enough ride.

BTW I'm about in your age and had to compromize too. :wink:

I'd recommed going up to the upper perch and maybe cut the bump stops by about 0.4 inch. The Eibachs should give a low-enough ride.

I was mistaken. I was on the upper perch already. The guys at the shop attempted to use the stock springs with a LOWER perch and the perch made contact with the rear wheels. Not cool. So they're reverting to the upper perch with stock springs. Not sure what it's going to look like.

Anyone have a 18/19 setup with stock springs with blistein shocks on the lower perch?

bilstein.jpg

I think you're running higher profile tires. I've got 285/30/19 in the back and the sidewalls are not as tall as yours are. Same goes for my fronts, 225/35/18.

I think you're running higher profile tires. I've got 285/30/19 in the back and the sidewalls are not as tall as yours are. Same goes for my fronts, 225/35/18.

If you're referring to the aspect ratio on my tires, you're incorrect. It's actually shorter in the rear at 275/30-19, same in the front, 225/35-18.

Last edited:
If you're referring to the aspect ratio on my tires, you're incorrect. It's actually shorter in the rear at 275/30-19, same in the front, 225/35-18.

Wow, maybe it's just the angle or something. Sidewall looks really tall and car looks really low, lol.

Anyone have a 18/19 setup with stock springs with blistein shocks on the lower perch?

Hi

I have that setup. Take a look in my gallery here on Prime I do believe I have some photos there.

Regards

Bilsteins on the lower perch, stock springs. 18/19s

I loved the ride quality of this setup - it was perfect in my opinion, however I felt it needed to be a tad bit lower.

11581IMG_2099.jpg

11581IMG_2101.jpg

11581IMG_2097.jpg

Stock 17R - 16F

Hi

Looks good. But I think you need to do that needed mod with wheel adapters so the wheels are moved out somewhat.

I had OEM 1994 too and huge wheel adapters and the difference was huge. Now I have other rims and does not need them.

Regards

Hi

Looks good. But I think you need to do that needed mod with wheel adapters so the wheels are moved out somewhat.

I had OEM 1994 too and huge wheel adapters and the difference was huge. Now I have other rims and does not need them.

Regards

Thanks Martin,

How do the spacers affect the car's alignment and suspension?

What is the cost. Any comments from others on this mod?

Mario

Thanks Martin,

How do the spacers affect the car's alignment and suspension?

What is the cost. Any comments from others on this mod?

Mario

Hi Mario

There is a huge difference between spacers and wheel adapters. I had wheel adapters.

I usually post this post from Gheba which I bought the NSX from when the question pops up about adapters/spacers.

Wheel adapters explained

I do not have them on now. But nothing is different. The wheels are just "more out" and it does not AFAIK put any strain on the suspension.

I am not sure if you can get a hold of the 40mm for the rear. According to Gheba Dali had the 25mm for the fronts. Well at least many years ago.

Regards

Last edited:
I do not have them on now. But nothing is different. The wheels are just "more out" and it does not AFAIK put any strain on the suspension.

Does not matter. What does matter is that length of the lever has been extended and so everything from end to end is being stressed even more.

Any difference it might make in alignment would be extremely small. Suspension wise, mathematically the shocks and springs would be under a little more stress but I can't say how much. It wouldn't bother me though. The only thing that would cause ME concern is wheel bearing wear/load caused by the spacer/adaptor. However, I'd still probably do it for the "right" set of wheels i.e. 02+ wheels.

Last edited:
Back