• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

picts of a custom turbo kit

Just thought i would share some picts of a kit i built for a 91 nsx. setup made 411 whp on 8 psi on e85.
DSC02452.jpg

DSC02451.jpg

DSC02445-1.jpg

DSC02443-1.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

Nice work.
I would recommend you to relocate the heat exchanger up front.
about an 1" in front of the radiator.
thats where I located mine.
Lower Air intake temp not only means more power but,
more importantly the safety of your engine.

What type of EMS are you using?

suprising enough with a 1000 hp air/ water core and the huge heat exchanger i have yet to see it pick up more than 20 degrees on a 1/4 mile type run. it is running a Aem ems, 1000cc injectors, and a single walbro

WOW 1000cc injectors? holy crap...im not even that big!!!

i agree your prolly fine with the heat exchanger where it is....

it is running a Aem ems, 1000cc injectors, and a single walbro

So it looks like E85 is good for something after all. I think it is 100-105 Octane, but you need alot more of it, that is why the 1000cc injectors. What kind of timing were you able to run and what boost.

Dave

8.5psi on the datalog. remember e85 takes approx 25 % more fuel so at this point i still have injector left but the single walbro will run out of pump at 450whp. thats my experiance with that pump on civics and dsm's on e85.

mad Props!

WOW 1000cc injectors? holy crap...im not even that big!!!

i agree your prolly fine with the heat exchanger where it is....

Yeah stoich is 9.79:1 for e85 vs 14.7:1 with gasoline so you need a lot more fuel. Fortunately you can also run lots more timing and boost since the octane rating is higher. Looks like a really sweet setup. Nice and simple, which is good.

The oil pump looks like it is almost touching the Y pipe at the brass fitting. Is the pump necessary? Looks like if you lowered the -10 on the return to the pan you might get enough drop to eliminate it. Does anyone know minimum drop for adequate turbo oil return without pump? It must have some pressure on return. I bet it would work even at a slight incline if a one way valve was incorporated to prevent back flow when parking on a hill or whatever.

I believe the gravity rule of thumb for the oil drain is for every foot you need to have at least a 1" drop.
I dont have a sump pump on my and My turbo is almost 2 feet away and I have a drop of 2 1/2 " ...
its works fine.

wow.. 1000cc injectors.
I was skeptical about going with my 750 at first.

With a aem i can tune 1200cc injectors and i guarentee you would never be able to tell me if it had those or 440cc injectors. As for the oil pump it may not be ness. But you have to remember that yes gravity is all she should need but while accelerating hard it will be trying to push oil out of the pan back toward the turbo. Thanks for the questions as I am always trying to improve my ideas.

PS We also built a twin turbo 5.4 modular in a 93 cobra with 1600cc injectors that idles at 680 in gear and makes 1029whp and even gets decent gas mileage.

that is because this is a job i did for a customer. sorry dont want to get introuble with the admins.

rough cost to fab that up, not including labor, which is the killer...

IC pipe $100-$125
IC (body) $300-$800
Y-pipe $100-$500 (depends on use of V-bads, premade merge, flange, etc etc.
Muffler $200-$350 depends on tips, V-bands, etc etc.

this is just a raw good estimate for the "fab" part...using SS and Aluminum.

I had about $2000 in mine, just in raw pipe and the IC body....I spent about 40 hours of fab time on it, then had someone weld up over my tack-welds.

You would be really hard pressed to DIY one yourself, without using used parts or junk parts for less than $6000

1500 TURBO
350 IC (air to air)
500 WG/BO
600 INJ
220 FUEL PUMP
1500 PIPEING
1500 MANAGEMENT
6170 TOTAL

at this rate, Cody's kit seems like a deal, since the labor is all done (welding)

rough cost to fab that up, not including labor, which is the killer...

IC pipe $100-$125
IC (body) $300-$800
Y-pipe $100-$500 (depends on use of V-bads, premade merge, flange, etc etc.
Muffler $200-$350 depends on tips, V-bands, etc etc.

this is just a raw good estimate for the "fab" part...using SS and Aluminum.

I had about $2000 in mine, just in raw pipe and the IC body....I spent about 40 hours of fab time on it, then had someone weld up over my tack-welds.

You would be really hard pressed to DIY one yourself, without using used parts or junk parts for less than $6000

1500 TURBO
350 IC (air to air)
500 WG/BO
600 INJ
220 FUEL PUMP
1500 PIPEING
1500 MANAGEMENT
6170 TOTAL

at this rate, Cody's kit seems like a deal, since the labor is all done (welding)
Dont forget tuning for said engine management. You could save a few bucks by using a journal bearing turbo instead.

tuning is like $300 bucks...and most people if building it them self, whould tune them self, i think....

you could use a journal i guess....save ya atleast $300

Back