• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Picture of 2003 NSX in June AUTOMOBILE magazine

Just received my copy of the June 2001 AUTOMOBILE magazine in the mail today, and on the cover is a picture (artist rendition, I suppose) of the new for 2003 NSX. The car is yellow, by the way.

Inside, (on page 57) AUTOMOBILE reports that the car will abandon its retractable headlights in favor of a more comtempory fixed-light design. They further state (speculation, I suppose) that the car will still have a V-6 engine, but in 3.4 liter form, and with 350 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque. The body, they state, will still be aluminum.

Finally, they state that the car will be LESS expensive than the current NSX.

No, I do not have a scanner to post the picture. Heck, I'm so computer illiterate than it's about all I can do to e-mail people and post on Discussion Boards. If I had a scaner or a digital camera, I wouldn't know what to do with them. Sorry...

shiet... this post is getting me all jitsy. i want to know how it looks like! i know some aritst just drew it and it probably looks nothing like the real 2003 but i still want to see it!

Oh, and on pages 56-57, there is a 2 page spread photo of the new NSX in silver. Looks exactly like the cover photo, but the car is silver.

This sounds like good news if true. There were all sorts of weird stories floating around. Steel body, V8, Electric motors, etc., I suspect they were either rumors or trial balloons initiated by Honda.

I think the closer Honda stays to the original concept the better.

A larger V6 with more horsepower and torque are nice. The continuation of the aluminum structure is nice too, although considering that Z06 C5 has a steel structure with a big V8 and weighs as much as the current NSX - I would love to see Honda trim another few hundred pounds from the car if possible. Something about 2700-2800 would be real nice (even if they had to do it with a fixed roof coupe).

And lastly, less expensive is real good too. Let's face it, somewhere between the dime-a-dozen non-exclusive nature of the C5 and the 100 units a year that the current car sells at, there's a happy medium.

I personally think Honda needs to get the price down into the 60K-70K range in order to sell the 3000 units a year that they really need to sell.

Jim

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk

Originally posted by Jimbo:
I suspect they were either rumors or trial balloons initiated by Honda.

I hope that isnt true... since that means they still havent a clue and are feeling around in the dark. If floating a couple of rumors was enough to change their designs, then it means they havent started working on it yet.

I personally think Honda needs to get the price down into the 60K-70K range in order to sell the 3000 units a year that they really need to sell.

Wasnt this what they tried doing back in 1991? I recall their target being 3-5k units a year at around that price.

Originally posted by johndoh:
This is going to do wonders for the resale value of the current version of the NSXs.

Won't the old cars go down in price because the new car is al, faster, and cheaper?

johndoh,
you reminded me of something I was wondering about. I've heard some people say that a newer model will make the older one worth more. I'm not sure I understand that, and agree with you (as long as you were being sarcastic). Price is a reflection of the demand. If a newer, faster NSX is available for less, why buy an older one. There are collectors who buy classics for that very reson. for the most part, people tend to go for as new as possible, within their budget.
The older 91-94 may not drop much because they already a steal and still 20-30K below of what the new one may cost. It seems to me that the newer models would devalue tremendously. More people would opt for the newer, faster NSX (assuming it's still of the quality we expect) for 50-60K than pay over that for a previous model.
The blue book value may not drop, but mark my words. If a new NSX will cost 60K, try and sell a 2000 for any more than 50K. It'll be like trying to find a job in this $^%% economy. just my opinion. I'm no expert on this. That just seems like the logical thing to happen.

The impact that the new model will have on the market value of the "first generation" (91-2002) cars will depend on many different variables, none of which are certain at this time. What variables? How about styling, construction methods and materials, engineering (i.e., engine placement, suspension innovations, etc.) build method, and most of all, the intangible spirit and feel of the car. Pricing will also be important, but not, IMO, nearly as critical as other factors.

I hestitate to use Porsche as an example because of some previous, ahem, lively posts and responses, but here goes: The 993 is a a great looking car, and a great overall package of everything that is unique and desirable about Porsche. The new model (996?) is as ugly as a train wreck, is liquid cooled, and looks like a boxter coupe. (I can say things like that in the safety of an NSX forum, can't I?
smile.gif
My point is, if you check the impact that the "new" Porsche had on the price of the 993, I think you'll find that the impact was either neutral or, perhaps favorable to the previous model. I looked at buying a 993 c4s before my NSX, and I'll tell you that the nice ones lost no value when the new cars came out. To this day, I'd still take a used 993 over a new 996.

I will repeat the prediction I made in an earlier post: There will never be another car like the current model NSX. I'm keeping mine forever. Maybe I'll mortgage the house and by a new one to park next to my 2000.

Yes, the June issue came in the mail today. In fact, I've already received my June issues of Road & Track, Car & Driver and European Car as well. They all come out about 1 month early to magazine subscribers.

The picture is at nsxsc.com in the general discussion thread. It is a retouched photograph of the current model. Don't get excited, although it's the best rendition I've seen. And, by the way, I'd place serious money that the current gen. will rise in value/increase in demand. It's quite obvious. Even if the new car is only 50-60k, do you think it can have any superb built quality? No way, it will cost them more than that between R&D and production to build a high quality, exotic material vehicle. Therefore, less price = less quality = less demand. Or at least a different type of buyer. ie. Corvette buyer. I'll say it again, don't worry guys.... Nothing will hurt the value of your very unique, breakthrough technology, hand-made, exotic material, etc... NSX.
smile.gif

------------------
Todd Arnold
NSXotic.gif

http://www.geocities.com/nsxcessive/index.html

I think it looks pretty good. I like the integrated headlights, I remember a few people mentioned this would be a desirable style change in a prior thread.

I have seen the cover and I like the way it looks. It reminds me of a cross between the NSX and a 360 - Which is what it sounds they are going for. I really hope they put a VTEC V-8 in there though. When the NSX came out, VTEC was very new. Now even a civic has Vtech. The CL Type-S has a 260 HP VTEC V-6. I think it would be great if the NSX was the only car with a VTEC V-8. It would make it that little bit more special.

------------------
NetViper -= looking to get an NSX before I turn 26! =- Didn't make 25 :(

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I found another spy photo of the actual 2003 NSX. This is not a Photoshop job, but is an actual photo of the first production car, which is Spa Yellow Pearl:

http://www.amcpacer.com/images/archives/carl-johan.jpg

biggrin.gif

LOL. In my past life, I actually drove a pacer for a month or so. I called it the death mobile for a couple of reasons. It smelled like something died in it and everytime I drove the car, I seriously thought that it was going to blow up on me. Quite an experience and not bad for $100(costed me $400 for the car and friends bet me $500 to drive it for a month).

[This message has been edited by johndoh (edited 02 May 2001).]

Originally posted by DeHaldaswerth:
The impact that the new model will have on the market value of the "first generation" (91-2002) cars will depend on many different variables, none of which are certain at this time.

That is totally correct. Whatever Honda is doing(whether it's marketing scheme or not) and by keeping it under very tight cover, all we're doing is making speculations. My statement was based on one assumption made by someone. My reasoning is based on the new TLs for Acura. Now that the newer version of the TL and Type S models are out, the older version of the TL (2001-lower) are not selling. Keep in mind that in the past few years, the sales for the TL had increased trememdously(fastest increase in sales for any of Honda/Acura cars). The new TLs are now faster, looks better(some may argue with this), and more refined. I'm pretty sure sales numbers will show that people's demand are for the new TLs.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I found another spy photo of the actual 2003 NSX. This is not a Photoshop job, but is an actual photo of the first production car, which is Spa Yellow Pearl:

http://www.amcpacer.com/images/archives/carl-johan.jpg

biggrin.gif

Although I recognize your right to comedic license I may have to file suit in Federal Court in order to curtail this rash behavior of yours. If you are allowed to continue someone may suffer irreparable harm. I am only now recovering from the shock.

My guess for the new NSX:

Looks: The body will remain practically the same with perhaps the addition of integrated HID lights.

Construction: Aluminum will be the chosen material like it is today.

Mechanicals: 3.2 to 3.5 liter V6 with i-VTEC producing close to 400HP with a 9000 RPM redline. i-VTEC will allow for more torque throughout the RPM range. Six speed manual with a F1 type automatic available that will handle the power of the new engine.

Cost: About the same as it is today with the exception that there won't be any rebates and people will gladly pay sticker and more for the first few hundred cars.

Value of our cars: Will go down but not drastically. Those of us who own late model cars (97-01) will take the brunt of the depreciation - mine is a '99.

I think Honda is not ready to spend a whole lot of money developing and later retooling to produce a new car that may be a flop in the marketplace. Besides, the NSX is perfect as it is - it just needs a little more power.

Of course this is just my opinion and I don't have any facts to support it - I'm just guessing.

here is the picture from automobile magazine:

View

here is a picture from old acura PR literature about the NSX. notice any similarities? it looks like the same picture rotated to the passenger side to me. same driver, same thumb position on the driver. looks like a professional photoshop job.

View

Back